christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

An entire day without technology

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

554f99020eb263542d90f72d43c13263.jpgCould you do it?Considering that it would be a day when you were not at work and it was required.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts

I do all the time. Its called hunting....and camping....and fishing....

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,020 posts

If you start the day in the wilderness sure. But even then, the fishing rod you use is technological, the clothes you wear were made by machines etc. 

Otherwise, the food you eat at home is in a fridge etc. 

Could I do it? Not willingly lol. I like my comforts. But I have done so in the past, in the wilderness of alaska. 

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts
I wouldn't consider clothes technology, least not modern. They've been around since Adam...

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

I am thinking it would be more cell phones,computers,televisions,iPhones and things like that.It could be a telephone too.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Good point.  When did technology become technology.  The wheel is a great and notable invention.  A technological advancement.  And don't get me started on fire.  Or lightning.  Or irrigation by precipitation.  This requires serious attention and discussion...

Dictionary.com:

tech·nol·o·gy [tek-nol-uh-jee] Show IPA
noun
the branch of knowledge that deals with the creation and use of technical means and their interrelation with life, society, and the environment, drawing upon such subjects as industrial arts, engineering, applied science, and pure science.
the terminology of an art, science, etc.; technical nomenclature.
a scientific or industrial process, invention, method, or the like.
the sum of the ways in which social groups provide themselves with the material objects of their civilization.

Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

That would be hard for me but when I see this article, I think of what did people do in Jesus times, they went fishing, walking, shopping, etc!!! :) I would definally try to go a full day without technology but that would be hard!!

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
I can. Had done it many times before, when the power lines were dead because of typhoon damage.

Just give me a good fantasy or sci-fi novel (the thicker the better), and I can lost myself in it for days :)

Wouldn't even have to take a bath if I don't want to... Ooops!

~

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

That would be hard for me but when I see this article, I think of what did people do in Jesus times, they went fishing, walking, shopping, etc!!! :) I would definally try to go a full day without technology but that would be hard!!

Their was not alot of technology in the 60's and 70's and survived.In fact they were nicer simpler days.

ladypeartree

ladypeartree

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts

:45: yes of course they were .... washing clothes by hand ..trying to dry them indoors with no central heating etc when the weather is dreadful.... boiling nappies on the top of a stove ...getting up hours before the children to clean out a coal fire and relight it to get the home warm for them .....Having to walk a couple of streets to use a phone as long as it wasnt vandalised .....( only one home in about 100 had a phone )  wonderful times :hmmm: .

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

:45: yes of course they were .... washing clothes by hand ..trying to dry them indoors with no central heating etc when the weather is dreadful.... boiling nappies on the top of a stove ...getting up hours before the children to clean out a coal fire and relight it to get the home warm for them .....Having to walk a couple of streets to use a phone as long as it wasnt vandalised .....( only one home in about 100 had a phone )  wonderful times :hmmm: .

Awww....yes those were the good days.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

I would say that if you can go one day without using electricity, then you qualify :)

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I would say that if you can go one day without using electricity, then you qualify :)

Good thing then that I'm not so dependent on computers and cellphones....

It'll be difficult without them, but I'll live, and still be productive....

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

554f99020eb263542d90f72d43c13263.jpgCould you do it?Considering that it would be a day when you were not at work and it was required.

Yep. Like Patriot said, its called camping, hunting, and fishing. :) :thumbsup:

I used to live at the end of a really long power line. That meant that if you heard thunder, it wasn't a question of "if the lights go out" -- it was when. A back up generator came in really handy.

7thseal

7thseal

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

I do all the time. Its called hunting....and camping....and fishing....

Same here, sitting before daylight and at the peak of sunlight hearing the woodducks flying over, early geese headed South and watching the granddaddy long legs fighting over the top position of leaves in the trees beside me. Strange sounds of the fox yelping and birds waking singing to the Lord. Reminding myself.... Lord you're going to restore what is broken when judgement is over.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,642 posts
Yes easily. I have done it often. To be honest if I could get rid of my cellphone it would be a blessing. Remember I was raised in a time where we did not even have that new fangled invention the fax machine...

7thseal

7thseal

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

To be honest if I could get rid of my cellphone it would be a blessing

Might be hard to believe but I don't even own a cellphone and even somtimes looked at as being odd for not having one. 

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Yes easily. I have done it often. To be honest if I could get rid of my cellphone it would be a blessing. Remember I was raised in a time where we did not even have that new fangled invention the fax machine...

Bring back the straight key Morse code sender or the Vibroplex and don't forget the  teleprinter  :thumbsup:

I use to look at people walking down the road talking into a mobile phone and think, I would never do that and don't even understand the concept.

I now have an IPhone , a PC and microwave oven and a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,land line :20:  

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,545 posts

Wow

I worked on fax machines in 1972  

I think we were selling, 1968

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Yep Fez, I was raised in the time when they did not have that technology stuff either.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network