christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Like a thief in the night

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
What does this verse mean to you?

Matthew 24:43But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Matthew 25

13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Matthew 25

13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

Is that the second coming or the rapture to you?

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Matthew 25

It is both.

rebbell

rebbell

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Matthew 24:43But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.

If we knew that the thief was coming tonight, we would not have laid down our armor or means of protection. We would have stayed and been prepared to greet the thief. We would be ready and fight to our death to protect our (stuff).
When Jesus comes to claim (my) soul, was I too busy doing what I wanted to do?

God Bless

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

The way Jesus uses thief and the way thief is described here is different.

Matt 24 describes the secrecy and quickness of the thief.

When Jesus uses thief in 2 Peter 3:10 he is talking about the quickness and secrecy of the thief but not the sin of stealing,

because at rapture he is simply taking back what belongs to him.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

The way Jesus uses thief and the way thief is described here is different.

Matt 24 describes the secrecy and quickness of the thief.

When Jesus uses thief in 2 Peter 3:10 he is talking about the quickness and secrecy of the thief but not the sin of stealing,

because at rapture he is simply taking back what belongs to him.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

It is my understanding that those 2 verses are referencing the same event.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Matt 24:43 is not talking about rapture or the second coming, it's talking about the sin of the thief which is stealing.

2 Peter 3:10 Jesus is not stealing....rather thief is described in two different ways, two different events using two different verses

Matt 24:43 SIN - and not allowed his house to be broken into..

2 Peter 3:10 WITHOUT SIN - But the day of the Lord will come like a thief..

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Matt 24:43 is not talking about rapture or the second coming, it's talking about the sin of the thief which is stealing.

2 Peter 3:10 Jesus is not stealing....rather thief is described in two different ways, two different events using two different verses

Follow your convictions.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Matthew 24

42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.

43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.

44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

:sad030: 

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Follow your convictions.

It's not convictions, it's a fact. Re-read Matt 24:43 again. You can't just pick out certain words and make them fit your criteria.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

It's not convictions, it's a fact. Re-read Matt 24:43 again. You can't just pick out certain words and make them fit your criteria.

See post #10.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Matthew 24

43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.

44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

Vs. 43 and Vs 44 are speaking about two completely different timelines and two completely different people. Jesus doesn't steal.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Matthew 24

Vs. 43 and Vs 44 are speaking about two completely different timelines and two completely different people. Jesus doesn't steal.

Ok.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
Ok.

I think you might be right, sorry to jump all over ya. That's why I like to read commentaries before posting..lol sorry man. :(

http://www.biblestud...thew-24-43.html

The coming of the son of man, is here represented by the coming of the thief in the night: but when he is compared to a thief, this is not to be understood in a bad sense, in which Satan is called one, who comes to kill and to destroy the souls of men; and likewise heretics and false teachers, and everyone that climbs up, and gets into the church of God in a wrong way; but this only respects the manner of Christ's coming, which is like that of a thief, secretly, suddenly, and at unawares.

....I had the right idea though I guess. The OP should of put up Vs 42 and V 44.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

To me this verse refers to the Rapture.The essential elements of Jesus' warning are that no one knows when He will return.There will be no warning of Christ's coming,just as a thief in the night comes without warning,and it will be secret 1 Corinthians 15:50-54

At the second coming,believers return with the Lord to the earth Revelation 19:14.The whole world will see this.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

To me this verse refers to the Rapture.The essential elements of Jesus' warning are that no one knows when He will return.There will be no warning of Christ's coming,just as a thief in the night comes without warning,and it will be secret 1 Corinthians 15:50-54

At the second coming,believers return with the Lord to the earth Revelation 19:14.The whole world will see this.

Very good bopeep1909, man i can't wait any longer, haha...........................what a day that will be.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Very good bopeep1909, man i can't wait any longer, haha...........................what a day that will be.

I am anxiously awaiting...... :grin:

• PipPip
  • 206 posts

Matthew 25

The parable of the 10 virgins with the catching away of His bride to the marriage supper.

I suppose that is the one we want to be ready for after that it is 'ready or not'.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Matthew 25

The parable of the 10 virgins with the catching away of His bride to the marriage supper.

I suppose that is the one we want to be ready for after that it is 'ready or not'.

We know for sure that the Bridegroom in the Parable of the Ten Virgins is Jesus Christ.There is alot of debate over the significance of the parable and if it is regarding the rapture or the second coming.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network