christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

McDonalds has shut down employee website

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t3

It seems that McDonald's has finally realized how tone-deaf its internal employee resource website was. It has shut it down.

The final straw? A tip on the site to employees to avoid McDonald's fare.

A graphic on the site shows a meal with a cheeseburger, fries and drink under the caption "Unhealthy choice." Next to it is a picture of a sub, a salad and water under the caption "Healthier choice."

The latest embarrassment is among a string that's cropped up since the McResource Line website went live.

A McResource budget-planning guide for its employees was ridiculed in July for being out of touch.

"For starters, it didn't account for food and gasoline," CNNMoney reported. "The second line on the sample budget leaves room for income from a second job, which many called an admission by the fast food giant that its workers can't live on its wages alone."

And then earlier this month, NBC News reported that the site offered a guide on how much one should tip a pool cleaner, housekeeper, and even an au pair.

The only problem: The University of California Berkeley Labor Center and University of Illinois released a study in October that said 52% of families of fast food workers receive assistance from a public program like Medicaid, food stamps, the Earned Income Tax Credit or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.

The fast food giant found itself again having to deflect unwanted attention from its internal site this week after CNBC reported that McResource ostensibly advises McDonald's employees to not eat at McDonald's.

"Fast foods are quick, reasonably priced, and readily available alternatives to home cooking. While convenient and economical for a busy lifestyle, fast foods are typically high in calories, fat, saturated fat, sugar, and salt and may put people at risk for becoming overweight."

Visitors to McResource Line on Wednesday were greeted with this statement: "We are temporarily performing some maintenance in order to provide you with the best experience possible. Please excuse us while these upgrades are being made."

McDonald's confirmed the site had been taken down in a statement posted on its website. "A combination of factors has led us to re-evaluate and we've directed the vendor to take down the website. Between links to irrelevant or outdated information, along with outside groups taking elements out of context, this created unwarranted scrutiny and inappropriate commentary. None of this helps our McDonald's team members."

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

you know, a blank line for "a second job" isnt really an admission of anything-its actually included in many budget planning programs out there. What people fail to realize is Mcdonalds was never considered a job to live off of-its a starter job.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

you know, a blank line for "a second job" isnt really an admission of anything-its actually included in many budget planning programs out there. What people fail to realize is Mcdonalds was never considered a job to live off of-its a starter job.

Unfortunately many have to rely on McDonalds to live off.And that includes a family.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

yes, well thats not mcdonalds fault-thats the lousy economy. and Mcdonalds raising the rate they pay their employees-especially the outrageous sum theyre asking for, wont help them, but rather hurt them and the economy worse.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

yes, well thats not mcdonalds fault-thats the lousy economy. and Mcdonalds raising the rate they pay their employees-especially the outrageous sum theyre asking for, wont help them, but rather hurt them and the economy worse.

The last time I bought a Big Mac and fries I thought.....WHAT???This stuff isn't worth that.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

it is high priced-now think about it. If Mcdonalds is forced to raise the rate they pay their employees, one of two things will happen. First, the cost of their food is going to skyrocket. Now, if nationally the minimum wage was forced to go to 15, the cost of living will skyrocket to-everything will go up, leaving the employees, in the same boat they were in before. If nationally the rate doesnt go up and just mcdonalds does-then people will stop buying mcdonalds and the chain will go bankrupt, leaving those people out on the street.

The other, and this one, more likely option, is Mcdonalds will start automating more functions and cutting jobs. Think about it, instead of people manning the counter and the drive through, there will simply be computers. That will essentially halve the amount of employees required to run a store, then all youll need is a half dozen to cook and prep the food and maintain the store-5 people could do it, which means more people out of work. This is the likely outcome because it allows mcdonalds to keep the costs to the consumer down while still maintaining a profit-I heard on the radio awhile back (I cant verify this this is just rumor, so it may or may not be true, at least not anymore) that mcdonalds only makes like 6 cents off of a double cheeseburger, after you factor in the ingredients, labor, etc.

In conclusion, if the wage was raised to $15 the person getting that raise in reality, is screwed. Theres no other way to say it. These people fighting this battle-while they mean well, are effectively shooting themselves in the foot. In fact, actually shooting themselves in the foot may be just as beneficial as the course of action their pursuing right now.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Unfortunately many have to rely on McDonalds to live off.And that includes a family.

People that have never been in that position don't understand what that means.

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts

Yep, welcome to the New American Dream, er Nightmare: survival rather than the prosperity our parents and grandparents knew.

revolutionist90

revolutionist90

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Well maybe Mcdonalds is just getting ready to go full machine mode especially if the $15/per hour wage becomes law (which is more than many military positions).

http://aht.seriousea...hine-robot.html

GlidingWings

GlidingWings

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

People please don’t trust McDonald's ‘McD’. McD is our enemy today and not a friend they once were. McD used to fit in with the budget plan of purchasing from its local outlets. . Have you been to McD lately? The prices now are very outrageous. I’m not exaggerating in the least. There cost is almost as high as Lone Star Steak House. Yes McD has put themselves among Steakhouses and restaurants priced as real 3 course dinners.

Why does McD do this? There are many theories. . But I believe I have a good theory take that probably will turn out to be pretty much true. Remember in the Ronald Reagan years and the Clinton years a more content economy where people were spending keeping us in pretty good shape. In the second term of W Bush a sharp decline with Obama that continues these downward spiral of an indefinite rate of recession. Remember first and foremost McD is not a kitchen mother that wants to provide necessities. . but rather they are a ‘conglomerate” business much as Hewlett Packard.

McD equals $$$$. McD price raise does not have anything much to do with salary raises. See that back in 1990 Calif. minimum wage $4.25 an hour the very wage I earned at that time at 19 years old. So I was content back then taking jobs minimum to five dollars and hour. Close to 24 years later it is now $7.25 which in that time only a 3 dollar raise in minimum wage Calif standards.

But take a current look at McD new menus and the whole list of food items and beverages. Are you willing to pay Lone Star or Outback steak prices at this fast food chain? Add 3 kids in the back seat I believe this six cents is exaggerated from one who represents McD Corporations. They don’t want us to know the real truth of their high profit intentions. . While McD did close up over a hundred locations it was a strategy consolidation less workers, building maintenance save cost strategy even as Starbucks would also do in likewise.

Because after all if there were five of them in 20 miles take out 2 of them and they would still get the same number of customers. While McD is good at hiring most anyone at any age don't expect any high of a wage. Full time is not guaranteed and more uninsured workers. Its another strategy they use to save money. But looking at reality they are just being a greedy company who makes so much money every employees could drive a Porsche SUV and a nice house to rent.

Someone is getting these high profits McD is probably merged with other high wage earning companies or supporting one another efforts and ideas. For Wendy’s Hamburgers this is not true. Wendy's is very less popular and much less business and locations. They just get by. But I really do like their square pattie hamburgers and French fries. Its better than McD and worth the money more than chinsy McD paper chip hamburgers and cheeseburgers. You have to open the bun just to make sure there is meat inside. This is why Wendy’s came up with ‘Wheres the Beef ? commercial 80s the old lady Clara Peller who passed away 1987. So Wendys approach get more for your money with Dave Thomas founder 99 cent value. http://en.wikipedia....s_(businessman)

McD is doing a Disneyland. DL Disney prices Anaheim Calif 1998 I got in for about 45 to 50 dollars a ticket. Now it cost more than 80 something dollar per person. Add parking that is over 100 that does not include anyone else.

Its no wonder why my sister s kids now becoming late teens never was able to go to Disney Anaheim. Although her son Christian my nephew got to go with his friends rich parents. Disney owns wall street stocks. Ticket prices increase higher than sixty five percent over a decade. Why because Disney used to be more booming in sales.

Those were the Reagan and Clinton years. Sales are more at a slump. Disney move to was to make much more not only on each ticket but every thing in the park. McDonald also owns stocks at Wall street. stock Their reaction to lower sales is raise up much higher all menu items. Sorry but nothing much looks cheap anymore. The most affordable cheeseburger value meal. They are small burgers no alot to brag about. This is more of a happy meal kid size. By the way I am bothered this site has been shut down even temporarily. McD is going to take out the articles or statistics or statements they don’t like. Use to edit make it sound more in McD favor. . Today's McD is like today's Obama administration you can eat at McD if you want but its new owner today is The Hamburgalar. Some day we knew that character would take over.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

People please don’t trust McDonald's ‘McD’. McD is our enemy today and not a friend they once were. McD used to fit in with the budget plan of purchasing from its local outlets. . Have you been to McD lately? The prices now are very outrageous. I’m not exaggerating in the least. There cost is almost as high as Lone Star Steak House. Yes McD has put themselves among Steakhouses and restaurants priced as real 3 course dinners.

McDonald's, like any other business, is in business to make money.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,414 posts

Not to just point at McDonalds, folks.  I bought a burger and curley fries at Arby's two weeks ago and it was $7.49.  I can eat at Olive Garden during the lunch special (and have way better food!) for that.  I'll never eat at Arby's again.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts
Yes love your rant there gliding but it would be better if it was based in at least some resemblance of fact. If you think mcdonalds-or any food chain is your enemy, then you've clearly have no clue who the enemy is. No its not our friend either, McDonalds is a company that is in place to make money. Nothing more nothing less.

As far as prices, yes their higher then they used to be but they have to raise prices because of inflation and higher costs. Raising minimum wage is one if these factors, but they're still cheaper then your fancy restaurants unless all you order is a appetizer, unless your idea of fancy is Perkins. I got news for you if your 3 course restaurant is cheaper then McDonalds, there's probably a reason why-and its not going to be high quality of food. Avg cost for two to eat at McDonalds where I'm at? Around $20. Average cost for two at a classy place such as the prime rib or Jordan's where I'm at? Between $50-75. That's quite the difference.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Well maybe Mcdonalds is just getting ready to go full machine mode especially if the $15/per hour wage becomes law (which is more than many military positions).

http://aht.seriousea...hine-robot.html

Does that mean that all new cars will come with a burger in the front seat?

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

McDonald's, like any other business, is in business to make money.

Yes that is right.The ones who keep their business going usually mean nothing to them.Without them they would not have a business.They are usually concerned about their pocketbook.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network