christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Has anyone read this book

Pastrix

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
137 replies to this topic

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint

I am listening to this book on audio book right and wow does she make a lot of sense.  I have to warn people that the author does use profanity throughout the book so that might be a turn off for some.  I do not really like the language, but can deal with it.  

I would very much like to get the opinion of other Christians about this book and what the author is saying.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,851 posts

Here is a review ...

Now a New York Times bestseller, Nadia Bolz-Weber takes no prisoners as she reclaims the term "pastrix"(pronounced "pas-triks," a term used by some Christians who refuse to recognize female pastors) in her messy, beautiful, prayer-and-profanity laden narrative about an unconventional life of faith.

I don't see haw anyone would think someone who uses profanity laden communication as a person to listen to when it comes to faith and how the structure in His body should be. I would advise not to waste your time ...

I removed the link.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

I am sorry if the link was not allowed, I have to admit I did not read all of the Terms of Service, but really who does?

I understand what you are saying about the language, I do wish the author had not chosen to use the language she does so that the message would not be diminished. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,474 posts

....I understand what you are saying about the language, I do wish the author had not chosen to use the language she does so that the message would not be diminished.... 

:thumbsup:

Jesus Talk

Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. Matthew 12:33-37

Man's Talk

Bolz-Weber springs onstage to do a reading from her book, but first she addresses the language that’s about to be unleashed on the pulpit: “I don’t think church leaders should pretend to be something they’re not.” http://www.washingto...ee6c_story.html

Amen~!

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

I am sorry if the link was not allowed, I have to admit I did not read all of the Terms of Service, but really who does?

I understand what you are saying about the language, I do wish the author had not chosen to use the language she does so that the message would not be diminished. 

I would think that if the language is that bad you would not encourage anyone to read it let alone believers and post it on a Christian site such as Worthy.  I hope you find  something more encouraging to read.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint

I am listening to this book on audio book right and wow does she make a lot of sense.  I have to warn people that the author does use profanity throughout the book so that might be a turn off for some.  I do not really like the language, but can deal with it.  

I would very much like to get the opinion of other Christians about this book and what the author is saying.

I just listened to some of the things this woman had to say concerning herself, God and the church. I'm no stranger to profanity, but I find her to be extremely offensive.

Jesus said, "For out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks".

I personally would not listen to anything that woman had to say. She doesn't represent the Jesus I know.

My opinion is, if you're looking for answers, you will not find them with her.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

I would think that if the language is that bad you would not encourage anyone to read it let alone believers and post it on a Christian site such as Worthy.  I hope you find  something more encouraging to read.

I found that despite the language, it is a very encouraging book to read, her life story is simply amazing and her attitude as a pastor is one that I long to find in the more traditional.  Grace over judgement, acceptance over rejection.   She speaks of the "tent" of Christianity, how some try to let everyone in and some try to keep people out, but she points out that it is not our tent, it is God's.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,957 posts

From what Im reading, she is part of the emergent church. Flee from her junk.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,957 posts
Post-modernity has created a very particular worldview and mindset and a particular set of critiques and cynicism, as well as a particular hunger. People who have all of those are drawn to the congregation that I serve.

I cant post the link because of the profanity in it. Those are her words in an interview.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

I found that despite the language, it is a very encouraging book to read, her life story is simply amazing and her attitude as a pastor is one that I long to find in the more traditional.  Grace over judgement, acceptance over rejection.   She speaks of the "tent" of Christianity, how some try to let everyone in and some try to keep people out, but she points out that it is not our tent, it is God's.

Someone using profanity has no business standing as a pastor in a church.  Pastors are held to a much, much higher standard of conduct.  That you can be so nonchalant about the profanity tells me everything I need to know about this book and this woman who claims to be a pastor.

There are false shepherds out there, tares sown among the wheat.  

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Post-modernity has created a very particular worldview and mindset and a particular set of critiques and cynicism, as well as a particular hunger. People who have all of those are drawn to the congregation that I serve.

I cant post the link because of the profanity in it. Those are her words in an interview.

Do you find a problem with her statement that you posted?  I am no philosopher, not really sure what "post-modernity" means but it seems to be referring to the times that we live in.   Times change, people change and society changes with them.  What worked in the 1800s didn't in the 1900s and now we are in the 2000s.  Many of the styles of worship and the activities of churches today that we find to be normal and acceptable would have been seen as blasphemy less than one hundred years ago.  

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

Many of the styles of worship and the activities of churches today that we find to be normal and acceptable would have been seen as blasphemy less than one hundred years ago.  

Really??   Like what??   Provide us with some examples.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Do you find a problem with her statement that you posted?  I am no philosopher, not really sure what "post-modernity" means but it seems to be referring to the times that we live in.   Times change, people change and society changes with them.  What worked in the 1800s didn't in the 1900s and now we are in the 2000s.  Many of the styles of worship and the activities of churches today that we find to be normal and acceptable would have been seen as blasphemy less than one hundred years ago.  

That may be true, but the moral standards that God put forth never change. 

The author you're listening to claims to be a minister. If she was a true minister of God's Word, she would know that her delivery of the Gospel is a direct violation of God's moral standards. God never changes.............ever. That's what makes Him unique. He doesn't change with the times. 

Here's something from the bible regarding teachers.

James 3

1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

2 For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.

Titus 2

in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility,

8 sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you.

These are just 2 examples. The bible is filled with examples of how we are to conduct ourselves. If we to call ourselves sons and daughters of God, there can be no compromise of His moral standards. Once we compromise those standards we transform God into something that is no different than the countless other gods that are worshiped around the world. 

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Many of the styles of worship and the activities of churches today that we find to be normal and acceptable would have been seen as blasphemy less than one hundred years ago.  

I'm not looking for an argument, but she does have a point.

Here's one example.

The Episcopal church.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

I'm not looking for an argument, but she does have a point.

Here's one example.

The Episcopal church.

She is talking about worship and normal activities that are the norm for the Church today, as a whole.

Homosexuality in the Episcopal is not an accepted practice considered normal by most in any denomination, not even the whole Episcopal Church accepts homosexuality as normal.  I don't think that is what she had in mind.  And if she did, she would be mistaken.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

She is talking about worship and normal activities that are the norm for the Church today, as a whole.

Homosexuality in the Episcopal is not an accepted practice considered normal by most in any denomination, not even the whole Episcopal Church accepts homosexuality as normal.  I don't think that is what she had in mind.  And if she did, she would be mistaken.

Well somebody obviously thinks it's the norm because their churches do not sit empty. The government must also see it as the norm because they've granted the Episcopalian church tax exempt status. 

The normal activities she is referring to is what the world and many denominations consider normal. It's not what you or I would consider normal, but what the world sees. And she's right. The Word of God has become so watered down and convoluted that it's almost impossible for a new believer to know which is which. Why do you think there's over 30,000 different christian denominations? 

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,957 posts

The emergent or post modern church seeks to redefine Christ. To actually change the gospel message of salvation into something else entirely. It is a subtle heresy creeping into some churches. Some post modern churches go as far as denying the gospel of salvation, denying the point of Jesus coming and dying on the cross. Post modern churches go far beyond a different style of worship. They are to be avoided.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,032 posts

I am an avid read but no thanks I think I will pass thankyouverymuch.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

The emergent or post modern church seeks to redefine Christ. To actually change the gospel message of salvation into something else entirely. It is a subtle heresy creeping into some churches. Some post modern churches go as far as denying the gospel of salvation, denying the point of Jesus coming and dying on the cross. Post modern churches go far beyond a different style of worship. They are to be avoided.

I do not know if this pastor is part of such a group or not, but in the book she does no such thing.  I would say she actually speaks of the real Christ and not the taskmaster that so many in churches today make Christ out to be.  Christianity should not be a list of do's and dont's. 

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

I am an avid read but no thanks I think I will pass thankyouverymuch.

I have to admit that this was the response I expected, but secretly was hoping to be surprised.   It is a shame that her language hides her message, I think it is a message that every Christian needs to hear. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network