christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The devil vs dictionary(dot)com

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

..dictionary(dot)com is a good way for the devil to twist the Word with multiple definitions. Do not be deceived. - DRS81

Steve_S

Steve_S

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

I'm not sure what you mean by this, would you mind expounding?

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

..dictionary(dot)com is a good way for the devil to twist the Word with multiple definitions. Do not be deceived. - DRS81

Words that have multiple definitions doesn't mean the devil is twisting the Word of God. It just means you are not understanding what the Word of God is saying. The dictionary is just a dictionary.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Words that have multiple definitions doesn't mean the devil is twisting the Word of God. It just means you are not understanding what the Word of God is saying. The dictionary is just a dictionary.

Incorrect. The devil is a deceiver and is working inside the hearts of men. (1 John 4:3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.)

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

I don't have a clue what your saying.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

I don't have a clue what your saying.

For example, the devil can use definition#2 instead of #1. #2 twists and pulls God out of the equation. When in reality #1 definition has God written all over it.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Incorrect. The devil is a deceiver and is working inside the hearts of men. (1 John 4:3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.)

Well it's not the dictionary's fault. It's your lack of understanding. You can't blame an inanimate object for your failing's. 

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,953 posts

This is why you need to be with other believers, When you go it alone you end up believing in weird things that are not valid.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Well it's not the dictionary's fault. It's your lack of understanding. You can't blame an inanimate object for your failing's. 

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Let me simplify it........it's not the definition itself, it's the person using definition#2 instead of #1 to twist the Word of God.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Let me simplify it........it's not the definition itself, it's the person using definition#2 instead of #1 to twist the Word of God.

Like I said.....lack of understanding.

Dictionaries are used to define the meanings of words.....it was never intended to be used as a tool for interpreting scripture.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Dictionaries are used to define the meanings of words.....it was never intended to be used as a tool for interpreting scripture.

Defining words is a prime example for interpreting scripture. "Words" are in the Bible man. Words are everywhere..

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Defining words is a prime example for interpreting scripture. "Words" are in the Bible man. Words are everywhere..

Yes, words are everywhere, but what you're not understanding is, understanding come from God, not the dictionary.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Yes, words are everywhere, but what you're not understanding is, understanding come from God, not the dictionary.

YES EXACTLY!! Very good man, you do understand.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

So what's your point?

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

So what's your point?

My point is if the heart of God is in definition#1 and not in #2, we need the Holy Spirit to identify that fact.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

So what's your point?

My point is if the heart of God is in definition#1 and not in #2, we need the Holy Spirit to identify that fact.

Ok.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

This is why you need to be with other believers, When you go it alone you end up believing in weird things that are not valid.

?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

Actually word usage is far more important than word meaning/definition.   The reality of language/linguistics is that we often use words in ways that have nothing to do with their actual definition.

Love, has an actual definition, but it is used many ways.  To "love" your wife" is not the same as to "love" your dog or to "love" icecream."   We can use it sarcastically to mean the opposite of its dictionary definition.  I might say, "I just love it when people cut me off in traffic."   In that context, I am using the word, "love" to communicate what I hate.

So people jump on the board with their Strong's concordance and they waste time with definitions and posting how words are defined and that is often how false doctrines are promoted.  People don't seem to understand how language works and that it is not about how a word is defined but how it is used that is at the heart of interpretation.

People get too hung up on defintions.   Word usage always trumps the dictionary definition of a world.

And just as  a side note.  I would NEVER used Wesbster's or any other modern dictionary as a tool for biblical interpretation even if I need to examine what a word's basic meaning is.   Modern dictionaries do not reflect what a word meant to the original audience of Scripture.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,608 posts

So what's your point?

Give me an example using the dictionary in question?

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Are you trying to say they are adding new definitions to already defined words?  Other than that I'm not sure where you're going with it.  Words have been defined for years and people need dictionaries.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network