christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1963 Looking Back at a Pivotal Year

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c3

This year marked the 50th anniversary of one of the most pivotal years in American history, from the assassination of President John F. Kennedy to the historic "I Have a Dream" speech by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Those two events were monumental, changing and shaping the course of America for years to come.

But 1963 witnessed other moments, both big and small, that had a lasting impact. The Boeing 727 took its first flight. The first push-button telephone was introduced. The "red phone" between Washington and Moscow, a hotline by the two superpowers to avert world crisis, was established.

On the cultural front, instant replay was used for the first time when the Army-Navy game aired on CBS. Alfred Hitchcock's new movie, "The Birds," was released. And the Beatles burst onto the music scene.

Here is a look back at some of those defining moments:

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,414 posts

This year marked the 50th anniversary of one of the most pivotal years in American history, from the assassination of President John F. Kennedy to the historic "I Have a Dream" speech by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Those two events were monumental, changing and shaping the course of America for years to come.

But 1963 witnessed other moments, both big and small, that had a lasting impact. The Boeing 727 took its first flight. The first push-button telephone was introduced. The "red phone" between Washington and Moscow, a hotline by the two superpowers to avert world crisis, was established.

On the cultural front, instant replay was used for the first time when the Army-Navy game aired on CBS. Alfred Hitchcock's new movie, "The Birds," was released. And the Beatles burst onto the music scene.

Well, I wasn't around for any of that but it definitely was a very important year.  Why did you choose 1963, Bopeep; just out of curiosity?  :confused: 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,464 posts

Amen~!

And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. John 1:16-17

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Well, I wasn't around for any of that but it definitely was a very important year.  Why did you choose 1963, Bopeep; just out of curiosity?  :confused: 

I did not pick it.It was the news article that was discussing the year.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Blessings Bopeep,

I remember it as though it were yesterday.............I loved the 60s & early 70s,thanks for the memories!

Oh but thank You ,Abba....that by Your New Mercy I am still making memories!Glory to God Almighty!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Brother Paul

Brother Paul

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Yeah! I was there as well...

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Yes,they were good memories  :mgcheerful:

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

As a sign of the times 1963 marked the beginning of the end of America when God was kicked out of schools and abortion made legal.  The irony of it all is that there was a business established that year called "Lands End".  Here's your sign...

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,414 posts

I did not pick it.It was the news article that was discussing the year.

Oh...I thought maybe that year had special significance for you.  :mgbowtie:

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

As a sign of the times 1963 marked the beginning of the end of America when God was kicked out of schools and abortion made legal.  The irony of it all is that there was a business established that year called "Lands End".  Here's your sign...

That is interesting.Things just started to get worse it seemed to me then.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts
To follow the train of thought that I presented here is paradoxal in nature. To consider the establishment of various brands over time coinciding with the decdence of our nation one must consider various branding as 'the Gap' and our apostasy as a nation or 'Faded Glory' and rise of China's ownership in our country via debt inceeases. I don't know. It is peculiar though. Irony?

Brother Paul

Brother Paul

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Abortion was legalized in 1973...but point made...the 60's were liberating in some very good ways but also were destructive (probably could be said for any year)

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Abortion was legalized in 1973...but point made...the 60's were liberating in some very good ways but also were destructive (probably could be said for any year)

Good call and catch Brother Paul!  I dropped that one.  

Brother Paul

Brother Paul

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Your point however was well made G...

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network