christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

nonbelievers on worship teams?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,954 posts

Jadey stirs the pot again. 

This came up a few years ago and I was surprised by the responses when I asked this on the forum. So since there are many new faces, Im gonna ask this again. 

In a real life situation, I encountered a nonbeliever who was part of the church worship team. Who came just to play instruments during church service. 

Do you think it is appropriate to have someone who does not believe in Jesus be part of the worship team at church? Why or why not? 

Please note I am not asking if someone who doesnt believe in Jesus should be in the church pews participating in the service like most members. Im talking about being part of the music ministry itself.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,020 posts

The last Church I attended would not let anyone be on the Worship team until they had been a member of the Church and no unbelievers were qualified.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

no, at least not during morning worship. I mean, they don't believe in Christ-why would they want to? I would question their motives-having a non believer, in what is if you actually look at it, in a leadership place, not a wise idea, I foresee problems. Now, If they want to include them, perhaps let them practice with them and play with the team outside of normal worship services, such as at potlucks or fundraisers and the like.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Unless you believe his music has some sort of evil influence, I don't see the harm in it. Judas was counted as a disciple even though Jesus knew who he was when He first chose him.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

Jadey stirs the pot again. 

This came up a few years ago and I was surprised by the responses when I asked this on the forum. So since there are many new faces, Im gonna ask this again. 

In a real life situation, I encountered a nonbeliever who was part of the church worship team. Who came just to play instruments during church service. 

Do you think it is appropriate to have someone who does not believe in Jesus be part of the worship team at church? Why or why not? 

Please note I am not asking if someone who doesnt believe in Jesus should be in the church pews participating in the service like most members. Im talking about being part of the music ministry itself.

Why would someone who doesn't believe in Jesus even want to be on a worship team in the first place?   No, it is not appropriate.   Worship is holy.  Unbelievers should not be leading the Church in worship.

I have seen churches that have unbelievers leading worship.  One such church in my town and the "worship" songs they use:   "Don't Stop Believin" by Journey, and  "Gotta Have Faith, by  George Michael just to name a couple.

Putting nonbelievers up there leading worship will only lead to trouble.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

They are playing an instrument not preaching the message.  Why not let them be a part of it, what a great way to get them into church every week to hear the gospel.  Tell them they cannot play they will likely never come back, what would that accomplish?   What is the goal of the church, is it not to win the lost to Christ?

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

ryanmercer

ryanmercer
  • Members *
  • 15 posts

I don't see how you can lead worship via the worship team if you aren't a believer.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I don't see how you can lead worship via the worship team if you aren't a believer.

Nothing was said about nonbelievers "leading" in worship services.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

According to the initial post, they are playing an instrument, not leading worship.

Edited by LookingForAnswers, 29 December 2013 - 09:23 PM.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,954 posts

They are still part of the worship team. Part of a ministry. Is that appropriate?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

Being part of leading worship entails being filled with the Holy Spirit and by the way, 70% of the theology a person learns on average is learned in the song ministry of any given church.   The last thing we need are unbelievers who are not filled with the Spirit leading worship in any capacity, be it vocals or instruments.   This is not a performance.  To be part of a worship team means that you are an "instrument" in the Lord's hands leading people into experiencing His presence.  No unbeliever can or should have any part of that.  It is far more than simply playing an instrument like a guitar. 

Leading worship is a holy occupation reserved for the followers of Christ alone.  It is not to be prostituted out to anyone and everyone.   God is very particular about how He is to be approached in worship.   We need to stop trying be like Cain and just giving to the Lord what looks appropriate in our eyes.  We need to offer the Lord the worship that HE accepts.   We do not come to God on our terms.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

They are still part of the worship team. Part of a ministry. Is that appropriate?

do you believe he would come to church if not allowed to play in the worship team?

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Take Jesus Culture band for example. The Holy Spirit guides their music because the band members themselves are indwelled with the Holy Spirit. It is impossible to worship without the Holy Spirit. I would just say you're worshiping yourselves at that point.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

All they're doing is playing an instrument. I don't see the harm in that. They're no different than nonbelievers sitting amongst the congregation. Neither one is voicing their religious beliefs. One just happens to be sitting in a different location. 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

All they're doing is playing an instrument. I don't see the harm in that. They're no different than nonbelievers sitting amongst the congregation. Neither one is voicing their religious beliefs. One just happens to be sitting in a different location. 

Ask a person who plays the drums in a worship band.  He will tell you that more is going on that simply playing the drums.   In fact, when you diminish a person's ministry as "just playing an instrument" you will find that they completely disagree.

The pianist at my church doesn't feel like she is just playing an instrument.  She plays as unto the Lord.  Every musician feels they are offering a sacrifice of praise to the Lord when they play their instruments in the music portion of the service. 

Those who don't go to church don't understand the dynamics of corporate worship and don't understad the spiritual nature of leading worship either either as a vocalist or an instrumentalist. 

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Ask a person who plays the drums in a worship band.  He will tell you that more is going on that simply playing the drums.   In fact, when you diminish a person's ministry as "just playing an instrument" you will find that they completely disagree.

The pianist at my church doesn't feel like she is just playing an instrument.  She plays as unto the Lord.  Every musician feels they are offering a sacrifice of praise to the Lord when they play their instruments in the music portion of the service. 

Those who don't go to church don't understand the dynamics of corporate worship and don't understad the spiritual nature of leading worship either either as a vocalist or an instrumentalist. 

Well then, I guess if you believe they shouldn't be there, then they shouldn't be there.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Well then, I guess if you believe they shouldn't be there, then they shouldn't be there.

I guess it comes down to what one views the purpose of the church is.  If it is to reach the lost then there can be nothing wrong with this.  If the purpose is to make the members feel better about themselves, then kick the guy out.   To me trying to reach a lost person trumps someone's personal feelings about their music

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,954 posts

do you believe he would come to church if not allowed to play in the worship team?

I believe worship to be holy before the Lord. I do not worship at a buddhist temple. I do not worship at an islamic mosque. I consider it profane to have someone who has no belief in God to be part of the worship leadership. God did not permit blemished sacrifices or blemished priests. There is a reason for that. Someone who is not a believer is blemished. While church is to bring lost folks to salvation, it is a place for saved folks to worship and draw close to the Lord. Seeker friendly stuff only diminishes the quality of worship for the body of Christ. 

Someone who comes just to play instruments isnt gaining anything anyway. They are not seeking Him. They are fulfilling their flesh.

I have not cast them out of church either. They are welcome to be in the pews. But not in leadership roles.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,954 posts

I guess it comes down to what one views the purpose of the church is.  If it is to reach the lost then there can be nothing wrong with this.  If the purpose is to make the members feel better about themselves, then kick the guy out.   To me trying to reach a lost person trumps someone's personal feelings about their music

And this would make a  good topic on its own. I will post on it. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network