christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

College Experienced

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
I attended a public university studying chemistry and biology. The faculty, even in science never made comments about faith, let alone mock God. I would be interested to hear others' experiences with this.

alphaparticle

alphaparticle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

I've had a mixed experience with this. Most anti faith sentiment is more under wraps and subtle than blatant stuff. I have not found it to be friendly to faith but perhaps not as overtly hostile to it that some may imagine.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,441 posts

Wolf, my college experiences were in the 1960's and in central Oklahoma.....   at least at that time period nothing like that would have been tolerated by almost all the population.

D-9

D-9

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

I attended a public university studying chemistry and biology. The faculty, even in science never made comments about faith, let alone mock God. I would be interested to hear others' experiences with this.

I've had two science professors talk about God in class. One was an astronomer and it was directed at a student who said something along the lines of 'all scientists were godless', and she made it very clear that she was a believer and a scientist. I think she did the right thing saying that science and faith were compatible, especially since it wasn't part of her lecture but answering a comment that a student made in class. The other professor who explicitly talked about God in class was a biology professor during an evolution lecture, and sadly I cannot condone what she said. She was a believer, but essentially said in lecture that evolution shouldn't worry believers because science hasn't figured out where the big bang came from - which I saw it as an egregious violation of logic in the form of the god of the gaps fallacy. 

Other than that I took religion 101, the professor said he was a Christian but the class was very respectful towards all faiths. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,452 posts

~

Historical Geology (The Present Is The Key To The Past)

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

Is Mockery

And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. Genesis 7:23

Of Both Empirical Science And God

For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 2 Peter 3:5-6

Not Even To Mention The Everlasting Shame Of TOS

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, Romans 1:18-22

It's Enough To Make An Honest Jesuit Blush

Tristen

Tristen
  • Members
  • 60 posts

I think in general, it would be considered unprofessional for a lecturer to mock the possible beliefs of their students.

During my science degree (3.5 years) I can only recall 3 occasions where this standard was "stretched".

1. A Biological Systems lecturer made a Strawman argument against creationists concluding with the statement; "this is why the creationists are wrong - yet again".

2. A Botany Professor of mine once stated in a lecture regarding creationism, "you can believe this way if that's your inclination - but don't try to become a biologist".

3. In a tutorial discussion over the ethics of contraversial issues including cloning and stem cell research, a molecular genetics course convenor said to the class that religious people should keep their views out of science.

There was a lot more religious mocking from the students - especially directed against creationists. I once suggested the logical possibility of supernatural sources of knowledge - eliciting the response; "you are doing a science degree for godsake".

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network