christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Im so stuck, measurement conversion help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Can anyone tell me what this is in cups or something. I cant figure this out.

250 gms Vanilla Beans (I have 16 ounces of vanilla beans for this but how...?)

750 gms castor sugar (I am using regular sugar, so the weight could differ right?)

750 mls water (Can we just simplify this for me with cups?) lol

I truly stink at math stuff so please don't tell me, how simple it is, it wont be for me lol

And yes I already thought to search the internet and apparently I am missing decent sources which doesn't require me to do multiplications of 15 numbers (or divisions) with each measure. I just keep running into more questions after so I figured I would just ask here.

For instance I looked up the beans, and the weight of each bean which is typically over 3.5-7 grams and I kept calculating it wrong I think because of how the video shows how much he used. So I couldn't get how many beans make 250 grams (especially according to his cost chart on his website)and the whole bag he uses in comparison to the figures.

I don't want to mess this up.

But then again he screwed up his video and forgot to tell us what to do with the lime he requires you to have but just never incorporated it into the actual recipe so I had to hunt that down too.

Why cant things just be easier?

Why not just gives us (stupid is is stupid does) those conversions? And not forget to tell us how to incorporate the ingredients in your own recipe?

I am just having a moment lol

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Just so's yanno, Im sitting here ready to cut open the bag of beans and get started here, so any day now (lol)

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I don't know why I'm doing this, but here you go. 

http://southernfood....info/blconv.htm

250 grams equals 8.75 ounces.......................for your bean conversion.

Let me know if have any problems. I will try to communicate to the best of my ability.  :)

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

I don't know why I'm doing this, but here you go. 

http://southernfood....info/blconv.htm

250 grams equals 8.75 ounces.......................for your bean conversion.

Let me know if have any problems. I will try to communicate to the best of my ability.  :)

Thanks man, that would seem to be half of the beans I have (more or less) since I have 16 ounces. Which again he (in respects to cost) had way overpaid for his vanilla beans because the cost he puts forth (for the recipe) is also way off.

I cant get them all to be equal. So I decided he doesn't know what he is talking about, and I have decided to throw way more in and ignore this guys measurements and just do it by eye.

You just confirmed to me this guy shouldnt be a cook.

Thanks, you did fine

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

750 gms castor sugar (I am using regular sugar, so the weight could differ right?)

I truly stink at math stuff so please don't tell me, how simple it is, it wont be for me lol

And yes I already thought to search the internet and apparently I am missing decent sources which doesn't require me to do multiplications of 15 numbers (or divisions) with each measure. I just keep running into more questions after so I figured I would just ask here.

For instance I looked up the beans, and the weight of each bean which is typically over 3.5-7 grams and I kept calculating it wrong I think because of how the video shows how much he used. So I couldn't get how many beans make 250 grams (especially according to his cost chart on his website)and the whole bag he uses in comparison to the figures.

But then again he screwed up his video and forgot to tell us what to do with the lime he requires you to have but just never incorporated it into the actual recipe so I had to hunt that down too.

Why not just gives us (stupid is is stupid does) those conversions? And not forget to tell us how to incorporate the ingredients in your own recipe?

Did you get everything figured out? I can use my scale let let you know about the right measurements :)

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Did you get everything figured out? I can use my scale let let you know about the right measurements :)

I winged it sis, and I have a food scale but I dont see any conversion button on it.

I ended up scraping and simmering up a pound of vanilla beans. More then that really because but I decided to pull into it all the vanilla beans marinatin'  in all of my homemade extracts. So I cleaned house.

And then I took half of the newer ones and replacing those in the extracts and the other half of them I added a bunch to a large container of sugar, so to make vanilla sugar. I did get over a quart of vanilla bean paste, and its actually VERY good.

I separated that quart up too, because the chef doesnt tell you how to store it and others are contradicting each other in how to also. do that. Better safe then sorry, so I divided it. I have two small mason jars on the counter each with like an inch of vanilla bean flecks. Which is alot lol. Then I have two smaller ones I set in the refrigerator also. Lastly I filled icecube trays and froze some of them. 

I really liked it, I just disregarded him so much. Besides the Chef thinned out his recipe to actually stretch it (on his website) contradicts his video on it and I just did the opposite (in trying to compound it) or make it more flavorful.

I find it very fustrating  when trying to do a recipe correctly and something is off and left unanswered.

And people ask, because they have the same question I might have (and Im so glad they asked it) but the person who shared the recipe dont come back LOL

Im dealing with the same thing on the various root beer recipes, the ingredients in them (and the amounts) and  I want to pull my hair out lol

What do you think Angels, should I heat can the vanilla? And if I did what method should I use?

What would you do?

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Hi Flame :)

I do make home made vanilla extract now and then with vodka and I did make the vanilla sugar it is delicious!

How do you make all the extracts? 

And no I don't think I would heat the vanilla beans and I never froze them before..

Where do you get the all  vanilla beans? They are very expensive where we live! :)

Good luck with the root beer!

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Hi Flame :)

I do make home made vanilla extract now and then with vodka and I did make the vanilla sugar it is delicious!

How do you make all the extracts? 

And no I don't think I would heat the vanilla beans and I never froze them before..

Where do you get the all  vanilla beans? They are very expensive where we live! :)

Good luck with the root beer!

I believe they more expensive when just buying one bean or so locally everywhere. Just like how a couple of ounces of extract is too expensive compared with how much you can make for yourself so you never need to buy that again in your lifetime lol

I just got my vanilla beans over at amazon this time, they sell them by the lb there and various other places on the internet.

I just froze the paste though (not single beans). Those I will probably toss into homemade vanilla ice cream, I don't think it will hurt anything. We shall see huh? lol

And I only asked because it was a living plant (like a tomato for instance) and we can tomato so they don't go bad right? So it makes sense, that unless I have the beans preserved in alcohol, they could either grow hard and stale (drying out) or moldly or something.

That's what I was thinking is why I asked.

Cause how on earth can I explain getting sick from a vanilla bean if I did? lol

And yes, I use vodka in vanilla extract too, just piled the beans in a half quart of that.

I think some folks use rum, Ive never tried that, but I use vodka too sis.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network