christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Persian rice tah-dig

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Has anyone every tried Iranian or persian rice dishes? They are truly out of this world good. I had taken this morning to master the potato tah-dig rice dish. And did it on my second try because I burnt the first lol  But I willing to take all day to get this thing correct because its that good lol

My sister befriended this Iranian guy many years back, and she would cook for us what he taught her because the two were into cooking together. Well, anyway, my husband fell immediately in love with this dish and always requested her to make it for him. And my sister would moved in with us alot (from time to time) and he would say to her, you pay no rent here just make that persian rice and potato dish (lol).  That was to be her rent (he would joke). But he was serious, he wanted her to make it for him lol

Its quite a little precedure but really worth it.  And since my husband is on vacation this very week I thought, "Im so gonna make his week for him" so I made it for him, along side a persian chicken dish that will compliment this nicely

Now...I was going to post a couple of pics of the dish but I guess I cant do that either for some reason.

But if you do an image search just run... " potato tah-dig"

Then it comes up, looks good too.

The timing on the second cooking is crucial, once you get the time (on your stove) its yours, dont lose it because someone elses time wont be yours, because of each persons stove. For example Renya's recipe over at you tube called "persian rice" (for time alone) is 15 minutes too long for my stove top because my potaoes were burnt both at a slightly  lower temp and ten minutes before her time was reached. I shaved 21 minutes off of her second cooking and it was perfect. So she says cook for 45 minutes, mine are perfect at 24 minutes. Thats why when attempting to make this it can be fustrating because you will notice when comparing between the videos the times varry so greatly. Its just how it goes with this one.

Its pretty good though, if someone loves rice dishes, this is a staple over there from what I understand. Theres quite a few decent persian rice dishes Im going to try besides this one. Somewhat time consuming I guess, but really worth the effort.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

I,m going to try to make that tonight with 1 cup rice:)

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Tell me how it turns out Angels.

That dish was so intimidating to me for so long, today I killed it lol

You got all the ingredients? Basmatti rice, persian Saffron?

You go girl, you gotta be a decent cook to wanna take this one on at a glance LOL

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

Tell me how it turns out Angels.

That dish was so intimidating to me for so long, today I killed it lol

You got all the ingredients? Basmatti rice, persian Saffron?

You go girl, you gotta be a decent cook to wanna take this one on at a glance LOL

lol I,m going to try to make this with the rice,it is soaking................. :)

I only have normal white rice to experience with. :brightidea:

I do have the saffron and I,m  not using  potatoes,I will let you know how it turns out! :) :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Angels I don't think it will work with regular rice. I mean, I tried it before trying to make a decent substitute but it wasnt good that way.

Might be to you who knows? lol But what I mean is the aroma, taste and texture is very different from what it typically is.

Gees sis, I'll send you some basmati rice, need some over there? lol

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

It was delicious!

I made this recipe:http://littleferraro...r-sundaysupper/

I am going to make this very soon again and buy the proper rice, thank you for sharing this outstanding recipe!

My husband loved it too and the colour is so pretty......

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Oh cool!

And Jasmine is a nice rice, and they use that in the recipe. I never tried it with that, I  would grab what seemed more like a sushi rice when I first attempted it LOL You know the rice that becomes pudding after cooking it or something.

And it crusted okay for you Angels?

Man, Im impressed sis, good job

And there are different ways of doing it, and I can eat it either way. Whether just the rice on the botton or potato, but my husband wants that potato fried in oil at the bottom, he cleans the serving platter of them before he sits down lol

And you know, I cut the oil in half because it calls for a 1/2 cup in the rice dish, and my hubby actually noticed,  because when I asked him how i did (in comparison to my sisters recipe) he said it wasnt as greasy, and he wants it more greasier

See what I have to deal with over here? lol

Im like sheesh, the grains are swimming in grease all over the serving plate...not greasy enough???

Anyway, that went really well with this other persian chicken dish I found over at youtube called...

Zereshk Polo aka persian chicken

Heres a couple more rice dishes I havent tried yet but I am going to try this week Lord willing

And these look really good

Over at you tube

#1 Street food egg biryani fried rice

#2 The Jeweled rice entry for Jamie

#3 Tachin morgh (chicken) baked 1

#4 Tachin Bademjan 1 (which is an eggplant tachin)

Although #3 and #4 the guy (in his video) moves pretty slow and it sort of takes him 2 vids to get through each recipe, so I'll follow this other little old woman with a heavy accent on her videos even though I can barely understand her lol (But at least I can get it in his english better but follow her faster in the other lol

And you know, I was going to attempt some persian cookies but after I watched a few I thought, no way, and I thought their rice took long??

So I scrapped that idea after I fell upon nutella fudge on Todds kitchen I began making that made at 10:40 PM LOL

It look so good I wanted to try it. And I still havent yet, its setting up in the fridge, but those grabbed me and im not a fudge person.

I will be riced out by the end of this week Im thinking lol

Glad it turned out well for you too sis, good to hear!  God bless you

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

Trying potato kugel :) today........

and in the mean time eating some crackers with tihini! :)

http://kosherfood.ab...ugel_potato.htm

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Tell me how it is Angels, I am always loking for a good recipe. And I heard of noodle kugel and even that looked good too. I think middle easterners tend to  do alot of changing things up with their rice dishes. Which is often carbohydrate upon carbohydrate

Shows how different we are, Ive finished up eating a piece of fudge and your eating tihini LOL

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network