christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thoughts on 1 Cor 3:18?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

clark thompson

clark thompson

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
1 Corinthians 3:18
KJV(i)18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
ACV(i)18 Let not one man deceive himself. If any man among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become foolish so that he may become wise.

My thoughts.
True wisdom is found in the Lord.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

I love thinking on various verses such as these and trying to find similarities or like comparisons elsewhere and see how far I can go with them. Like the one you posted above always made me think of Prov 26:12.

Sorta shows me why becoming a fool is far better there.

The "becoming a fool" comment would seem to impart a tad of hope in such a shift of perspective in relationship "to oneself".

For example, it speaks in proverbs also of one who is wise in "his own conceit" and says this...

Prov 26:12 Seest thou a man wise in "his own conceit"? there is more hope of a fool "than of" him.

I was like wow, there is more hope of a fool than of such a one? Or what? Perhaps less so for the one wise in "his own conceit" then there is for the actual fool?

But between the two we have wise in "ones own conceit"...and "deceiving oneself"

Therefore, let no man "deceive himself"...

.....let him "become" a fool, that he may actually be wise

Prov 17:28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Which most likely reflects the contrary in the same given,

Prov 29:11 A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.

I agree that Christ is the wisdom and power of God. He is made unto us that. Even as our faith (which is a gift) should not stand in the wisdom of men but the power of God, so he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord likewise.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,959 posts

KJV(i)18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
ACV(i)18 Let not one man deceive himself. If any man among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become foolish so that he may become wise.

My thoughts.

Any one who have an exalted view of their own worldly wisdom must learn that they must become fools  in the eyes of the world in order to become  wise in Gods eyes.

The wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,460 posts

Amen~!

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

My thoughts.

The depth and weight of these scriptures is beyond what I had originally believed but have truly come to understand that a wise man in this world who is wise through his own eyes is truly a fool at best.  I learned the hard way.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network