christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Breaking Soul Ties

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

This is a new concept for me, but perhaps some of you are familiar with this topic -  Breaking Soul Ties?

Being snowed in the last two days has provided for me time to really study and get into some topics of interest that I have not approached before.  One of those subjects was about "dunamis", also a new word for me, prompting new ideas and understandings.  I found in an online Greek Lexicon where this term was used in the Bible, and studied further on how it was used, and what it meant in the Scriptures.

One concept that touched on dunamis and the enrichment, or empowerment of the soul. discussed the practice of breaking soul ties.

I will do more study on this subject, but would appreciate hearing your thoughts.  It is new to me, and not something I had heard of but maybe once or twice in my life.

Thank you for your participation.

Always in His care,

PrairWarur

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,488 posts

This is a new concept for me, but perhaps some of you are familiar with this topic -  Breaking Soul Ties?

Being snowed in the last two days has provided for me time to really study and get into some topics of interest that I have not approached before.  One of those subjects was about "dunamis", also a new word for me, prompting new ideas and understandings.  I found in an online Greek Lexicon where this term was used in the Bible, and studied further on how it was used, and what it meant in the Scriptures.

One concept that touched on dunamis and the enrichment, or empowerment of the soul. discussed the practice of breaking soul ties.

I will do more study on this subject, but would appreciate hearing your thoughts.  It is new to me, and not something I had heard of but maybe once or twice in my life.

Thank you for your participation.

Always in His care,

PrairWarur

Interesting... Is this what you are talking about Prair? http://www.gotquesti.../soul-ties.html

What passages in the Bible have you been reading that have to do with this?

God bless,

GE

Edited by GoldenEagle, 06 January 2014 - 02:29 PM.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,919 posts

I hear about soul ties now and then but no one has shown scripture for it that I have seen.

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Golden Eagle, thank you for that web page.  I have bookmarked it and will review it often.  I do believe this is what I am talking about.  

The Scriptures I referred to I found in the Greek Lexicon.  Since I cannot provide you the link, I copied what it said and posted below.

Shalom, PrairWarur

The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number:   1411    Original Word Word Origin dunamiß from (1410) Transliterated Word TDNT Entry Dunamis 2:284,186 Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech doo'-nam-is     Noun Feminine  Definition
  1. strength power, ability
    1. inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth
    2. power for performing miracles
    3. moral power and excellence of soul
    4. the power and influence which belong to riches and wealth
    5. power and resources arising from numbers
    6. power consisting in or resting upon armies, forces, hosts
   NAS Word Usage - Total: 121 ability 4, meaning 1, mightily 1, mighty 1, miracle 2, miracles 17, miraculous powers 3, power 83, powers 6, strength 2, wealth 1   NAS Verse Count Matthew 13 Mark 10 Luke 15 Acts 10 Romans 7 1 Corinthians 15 2 Corinthians 7 Galatians 1 Ephesians 5 Philippians 1 Colossians 2 1 Thessalonians 1 2 Thessalonians 3 2 Timothy 3 Hebrews 6 1 Peter 2 2 Peter 3 Revelation 12 Total 116

Greek lexicon based on Thayer's and Smith's Bible Dictionary plus others; this is keyed to the large Kittel and the "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament." These files are public domain.

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Jade, GE just did!  Follow the link.  The words "soul ties",  as such, will not be found in Scripture.  Like with the words, "rapture" or "trinity" are not found in this form in the Bible, but the concept is there.

Peace, PW

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,488 posts

Jade, GE just did!  Follow the link.  The words "soul ties",  as such, will not be found in Scripture.  Like with the words, "rapture" or "trinity" are not found in this form in the Bible, but the concept is there.

Peace, PW

After reviewing more closely the link I posted I'm not sure that it is something I would want to promote (particularly the idea that a Christian can be possessed by a demon)... I updated with a different link from gotquestions.

Sexual Relationships outside of marriage (between a husband and wife) IMO are against the Bible, God's design for the sexual relationship, and God's view of marriage.

Close Relationships with unbelievers can also be detrimental if the nonbeliever influences the Believer. That said I wouldn't advocate having no nonbelieving friends.

Vows and commitments made with others... That's tricky.

I'm not convinced it is a Biblical principle. There is clear evidence for the Trinity in the Bible for example.

God bless,

GE

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

GE, bookmarked that page, too.  Seems it is almost a complete opposite of the other site.

I wonder, what about the idea of marriage and "soul ties"?  I sort of liked the connection of man and wife being considered "tied in the soul", so to speak.  I will read further on what the first web page said about "The two shall be one flesh...." and ponder that.  I will also see if this second web page speaks on that issue.

Today, we hear the term "soul mate" being tossed around a lot.  It is not something I say, but I do think I understand what is meant.  I have used the words, "kindred spirit".  Are they similar or the same?

The way dunamis is included in this is on the subject of the "excellence of the soul", and what might prevent this excellence.  The preacher I heard suggested past wounds in the soul would be a hindrance.  Makes sense to me.

I also listened to a study done about children who were sexually abused and the door opened there into the spiritual realm, particularly the demonic.  Those who would have such battles and are Christian, does not mean they are "possessed", rather "oppressed", as I understood.  

It was explained more to me by this analogy, a Christian cannot be possessed by satan or demons, but they could be oppressed, as if saying, someone may not be able to enter into your home, but they can still stand outside, a distance away, and throw rocks at your windows.

Again, makes sense to me.

Peace, love and prayers,

PW

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

This isn't a new concept.  I've heard Christians using this concept and using the expression 'soul-mate' and I don't think it's biblical.

I think this quote:

The phrase “soul ties” is not in the Bible; rather, the idea of soul ties is a man-made speculation which some teachers superimpose onto Scripture in an attempt to explain certain human behaviors. Soul ties are said to be connections from one person's soul to (or into) another person's soul, a concept that has no basis in Scripture.

Read more:http://www.gotquesti...l#ixzz2peYcQQjJ

from Got Questions explains the principal in easy terms and at the same time, rejects the idea as having no basis in scripture.

The article goes on to explain that while the Bible does speak of close friendships and does warn about entering ungodly relationships, nowhere in scripture are we told that

the soul is divided and that we have parts of another soul or they have parts of our soul.

Demons are masters at duplicity and creating false understanding.  I believe that the concept of soul ties and soul mates is one such false teaching that has been around for quite some time.

As far as Christians being possessed by demons...possession denotes ownership...a better translation regarding that would be that the Christian possesses the demon and not the other way

around.  In other words, the Christian has a demon...inside...outside...God knows, but demons can and most certainly do influence even sincere believers.  If they did not, we would not have

to worry about deception and putting on the armor as found in Eph 6.

I honestly steer away from terms not found in scripture and that would include 'kindred' spirit...IMO, that could be two evil spirits with similar taste.  

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Maybe I need to clarify - new concepts to me.  I had not heard any of these terms used until recently, except for the term, "kindred spirits".  Yes, it could mean both evil and good.  I would expect the person using the phrase would know in which case it was meant.

Peace, Prair

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

This is very interesting topic with concerning breaking soul ties. I was reading some in the bible and several verses came to me like...

1 corinthians 6:16...  with who is joined to a prostitue with her becomes one body with her, two will become one.

genesis 2:24 ... a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one.

there were more verses but these two stuck out the most with me, maybe because I could relate with them concerning my divorce. I will do some more reading on this. great topic to muddle through. blessings.

rjp34652

rjp34652

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Peace, PW

It's not in the Bible.  Therefore it is false doctrine.

The concept is there because people who want to profit by presenting themselves as prophets invent the ideas.  There's money to be made in the god racket.  The price is lost souls and a corrupted gospel.

Power comes from Jesus Christ.   If you want power seek it in your own life by means of the gospel.

Mysticism and spiritism and mediumism are forbidden.  Period.

These things are like bait on a hook.  In the end they lead to spiritual oppression, slavery and the loss of the self.  The word damnation means loss.  The risk here is eternal loss - forever damnation.

Jesus said he who loses himself for the sake of the gospel will find himself and he who finds himself will lose himself.

In other words, the power and salvation of man can be found by yielding to Christ NOT by poking around in borderline spiritual trendy issues.

If you play with black fire you risk eternal burns.

Leave it alone !!!!

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,909 posts

I hear about soul ties now and then but no one has shown scripture for it that I have seen.

It sounds more new age to me then Biblical.  

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Blessings Prair

I m not quite sure what that preacher was implying when he mentioned the past wounds on soul being a hindrance......simply:not willing to forsake any sin or iniquity(anger ,resentments ,bitterness,unforgiveness) can hinder our prayers or spiritual growth but we are free in Christ Jesus & the Holy Spirit will deliver us from these bondages as we decrease of ourself that we receive the heart & mind of Christ.......I think this play on words really complicates a simple matter....just my opinion of what happens when there is no Scripture referrance because that6 is not what Scripture tfells us

Prair,my beloved,all this talk about soul mates,kindred spirits & breaking soul ties is just not Biblical and therefore not something to even look into or consider.....and as far as the word "dumanus" used in Scripture ...as in Ephesians(first Chapter)....it is used to describe Gods divine Power used on earth(superhuman,dynamic).....not a "thing" because that is the definition but in the application in this context (Ephesians 1:9-20)it is specific to Gods Ultimate & "out of this world"Power.......it is where we get the word ":dynamite" from     So this word does mean superhuman power depending on the context but by God or the enemy but not our spirit......as I have interpreted in my study of Koine Greek(very rusty but I do remember this word very well)

Praise & Glory to God......God bless you....I have heard the term"kindred spirits"and know it quite well which truly is to suggest that our spirits that now inhabit these bodies we inhabit once inhabited other bodies that lived in the past & knew each other or were related in some way in a past life.....though it seems a harmless & even endearing phrase it is in direct opposition of Gods Word,it is in the same way of thinking as "Deja Vu"(we have been here before)

With love in Christ-Kwik

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network