christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prayer Cloths

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Another practice I have seen is the anointing of "prayer cloths" and then sending them to those who are ill or in need of a healing.  I have read this in the Bible, but never attended a church who participated in this practice until a few years ago.

Any thoughts?

Always in His care,

PrairWarur

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I see it as a good way to fall into idol worship.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,668 posts

Another practice I have seen is the anointing of "prayer cloths" and then sending them to those who are ill or in need of a healing.  I have read this in the Bible, but never attended a church who participated in this practice until a few years ago.

Any thoughts?

Always in His care,

PrairWarur

Paul tore off parts of his clothing to use as a point of contact with those he could not physically touch.  Some have made a doctrine out of this and exploit the use of a prayer cloth to get money or just to get someone's address on file so they can inundate them with appeals for money.   There is no biblical mandate for a prayer cloth and it really has fallen into much igregious false teaching.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Any thoughts?

Always in His care,
PrairWarur

I think God is awesome, and if He will heal others in that manner He will do what He will.

Whats the worst thing that could happen? The person was mistaken that they were anointed (when they apparently weren't) and nothing happens right?

stirstik

stirstik
  • Members *
  • 97 posts

Any thoughts?

Always in His care,

PrairWarur

wow I have never heard of this, sounds kind of neat

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Mixed feelings on this....

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

It wasn't the cloth that held the miracles. 

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
Seems to me its an easy trip to idolatry. Many pagan religions such as those of the native Americans and new age use prayer clothes and I think its a wise idea not to follow these traditions.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

I dont know what to call whatever is brought from one God might do an extraordinary miracle through but God did the same by such things which were brought from the body of Paul.

I know there are corney ministers out there that do weird stuff that might make us cringe. And this too could be one of the things they utilize into their little show (of whatever sort) but it wouldnt make what God did through Paul by the same invalid (or a trip into idolatry even) if done by another simply because this one over here (or over there) tries to mass produce the same effect.

I wouldnt chase such things down myself however just to be fair it does show an example of what was genuinely done by God in such a way.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,668 posts

Any thoughts?

Always in His care,
PrairWarur

I think God is awesome, and if He will heal others in that manner He will do what He will.

Whats the worst thing that could happen? The person was mistaken that they were anointed (when they apparently weren't) and nothing happens right?

What happens is that people are putting faith in the prayer cloth.    God heals if He choosed to heal, not because you order a prayer cloth from some crack pot.   It really turns the prayercloth into an amulet similar to how pagans use charms and crystals for healing.

I have seen where if you need a financial miracle, one minister had green prayer cloths, if you wanted a familiy member to get saved, he would send you a white prayer cloth and if you needed healing, he would send a red prayerlcoth.  

It is  bunch of nonsense.

Reformed Baptist

Reformed Baptist

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

There is nothing more to add to that statement on this topic.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

What did you do before you got interested in prayer cloths, demons and soul ties?

I just find it kind of strange that all of a sudden these things have been brought to your attention...through TV

I'm not buying it and I have my reasons

Do carry on though

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Any thoughts?

Always in His care,
PrairWarur

What happens is that people are putting faith in the prayer cloth.    God heals if He choosed to heal, not because you order a prayer cloth from some crack pot.   It really turns the prayercloth into an amulet similar to how pagans use charms and crystals for healing.

I have seen where if you need a financial miracle, one minister had green prayer cloths, if you wanted a familiy member to get saved, he would send you a white prayer cloth and if you needed healing, he would send a red prayerlcoth.  

Listen, the example is in scripture of God doing extraordinary things through Paul. Now if what God has done is a stumbling block to peoples faith in Him, and instable folks displace their faith into a rag over the Living God I cant help that.

Someone could take that up with the Judge of all is what I would advise.

Just because you got nutballs trying to duplicate the authentic and displace others faith in God to be in either rags or into their own ministries doesn't negate what God has done.

Ive never chased down any advertised "prayer cloths" and Im not proposing others do that either, what I saying is that its possible with God to do just that.

Unless the scriptures lie showing God can, but because of some wierdos we void what God can do (through their doings).

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I just find it kind of strange that all of a sudden these things have been brought to your attention...through TV

You've never seen something on TV that you've never seen before?   :noidea:

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Last night I had just found out that a loofah is grown on a tree. You know, I had absolutely no clue what a loofah was or how it "was made" I might have thought it was close to a sea sponge (I just never asked) but I fell upon a video showing someone pulling one off a tree and peeling "and wallah"! that sponge type thing in my shower!

I feel so clueless to so much stuff lol

Reformed Baptist

Reformed Baptist

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Ive never chased down any advertised "prayer cloths" and Im not proposing others do that either, what I saying is that its possible with God to do just that.

Unless the scriptures lie showing God can, but because of some wierdos we void what God can do (through their doings).

Of course it is possible for God to use peaces of cloth in his healings, but to frame the debate in that sort of language is to miss the point in my opinion. It is not a question of 'can' it is a question of 'does' - So the question is does God imbue these cloths with power to heal?

Perhaps one way to discern the answer is to compare them to the scriptures - is the healing they deliver anything like the healing that comes by the power of God in the scriptures, for example do the utter blind see perfectly and the utterly deaf hear normally, do the totally lame immediately leap?  

Another way to judge them is by looking at the one who is imbuing them with the power of God? Does he charge a fee? How does his life measure up to Paul's? How Christ focused is his ministry (or is it really all about him)? 

I would suggest that these are the discerning questions to be addressed.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Not the trifecta being written about in the forums here...but never mind...more to come I expect

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Blessings Prair Warur,

I would never discredit God in that He can do anything & use anything He wants to do anything so I am not going to say ""it" in itself is nonsense.We do have the account where Paul used the cloth(previously posted)....God told Moses to  make a Bronze Serpent on the pole(as a  foreshadow of Christ Salvation),the people merely had to gaze at the serpent & they were healed of the deadly firey snake venom in the wilderness.....

When my Father was dying we were 1200 miles apart & I so badly wanted to be able to hold his hand & pray  so I dipped my hand in paint,pressed it on paper & sent the image to my dad so he could place his hand on mine.......of course as we prayed in spirit we were already"holding hands"& we both know that this image held no power but it was just something to "touch"& signify our desire......the same goes for the cloth or anything else that is symbolic......the problem this leads to is that people tend to believe the "item"has power & they glorify "it" instead of God.......

Many before me have posted that there is danger of idolatry in this type of practice......just as rosary beads,crucifix,angel pins,scapula etc........none of these things have any powers but are supposed to be used as merely a point of contact & all Glory belongs to God alone but are often misused as talismans & magical charms.......

With love in Christ-Kwik

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,668 posts

Listen, the example is in scripture of God doing extraordinary things through Paul. Now if what God has done is a stumbling block to peoples faith in Him, and instable folks displace their faith into a rag over the Living God I cant help that.

Someone could take that up with the Judge of all is what I would advise.

Just because you got nutballs trying to duplicate the authentic and displace others faith in God to be in either rags or into their own ministries doesn't negate what God has done.

It's not an issue of what's possible.  It's an issue of what's probable.   I mean I can go through the Bible and find all kinds of miracles that were done using something unconventional.   Elijah laying over the body of a dead boy, Jesus healing blindness made with a mixture of dirt and saliva, people getting healed by Peter's shadow.

This is just one of those situations where a point of contact was needed at that time.  It was not meant to become a modern Christian practice.  It was good for that time and that time only.

Things like that were needed to prove the authority of the aposltes, that their message was true and from God.   There were apostolic gifts and miracle working power that resided only in the apostles and were not passed down to anyone else.

Prayer cloths are nothing but a gimmick that modern Charismatic/Word of Faith teachers use to hook people in.  It operates from the assumption that healing is for everyone and God will heal every sick person and Bible simply makes no such promises.

We need to stick with the truth of Scripture and not get lassoed into these gimmicks.  God will bless and heal those whom He chooses to prayer cloth or not.  It is His sovereign will to do as He pleases. 

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Not the trifecta being written about in the forums here...but never mind...more to come I expect

Possibly. 

The only way to remain ignorant is to not ask questions. 

Did you happen to notice why these threads are popping up?

Being snowed in the last two days has provided for me time to really study and get into some topics of interest that I have not approached before.  

:sad030:

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network