christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Adam and Eve and Genetics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

I was in a lively discussion with my family over the characteristics of humans if all are descended from Adam and Eve.  They were asking how we have so many eye colors and races if we all were descendants of two people.  I said that natural selection would have come into play, causing people to vary in appearance, but they were not convinced.  Anyone have any ideas?  For example, if Adam and Eve were blue eyed, how did we end up with brown and green?  Any good references?

Spock

Spock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

I was in a lively discussion with my family over the characteristics of humans if all are descended from Adam and Eve. They were asking how we have so many eye colors and races if we all were descendants of two people. I said that natural selection would have come into play, causing people to vary in appearance, but they were not convinced. Anyone have any ideas? For example, if Adam and Eve were blue eyed, how did we end up with brown and green? Any good references?

One word to start you off and running- mutation

Personal side note: Adam was a muscular black haired brown eyed gent while Eve was a hot looking blue eyed blonde.

Edited by Spock, 07 January 2014 - 06:02 PM.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Ha ha ha!  Yes, I mentioned mutation, but I got ridiculed.  I also said some eye colors were self propagating.  If offspring had an odd color thought to be attractive to others, they would be likely to have more offspring.  But that may be a bit chauvinistic.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,800 posts

We don't know if God changed people's characteristics deliberately. How do we know if he didn't change the appearance of certain people after the flood, for example? The tribes of Shem, Ham and Japeth may have undergone changes.

Of course, this is pure speculation, but my point is, we don't necessarily need a genetic scientific explanation for it.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,754 posts

I was in a lively discussion with my family over the characteristics of humans if all are descended from Adam and Eve.  They were asking how we have so many eye colors and races if we all were descendants of two people.  I said that natural selection would have come into play, causing people to vary in appearance, but they were not convinced.  Anyone have any ideas?  For example, if Adam and Eve were blue eyed, how did we end up with brown and green?  Any good references?

What makes anyone think that they were blue eyed to start with? 

A brown eyed person can have the recessive gene for blue eyes in their genetic makeup. It takes two recessive genes in order for the recessive trait to appear. So for my father's blue eyes, both of his parents needed to give him the gene for that eye color. And its a weird shade one only sees in scandinavians.

Beyond that, I happen to think that when the languages were confused at babel, and folks separated into the various linguistic groups, it sheltered the gene pool, allowing some traits to dominate while others receded. Some things like dark skin are a protection in areas of bright sun, so that would tend to survive more in the gene pool of groups that lived in the sun. Who knows too, perhaps God brought out some physical traits in certain groups around that time too.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Yes, it is all speculation, the Bible really doesn't say and we wouldn't expect it to.

D-9

D-9

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Genetics says Adam and Eve never existed, at least not in any form Genesis would recognize, doesn't matter old earth or young earth. At the very best genetics shows that humans have had genetic bottlenecks, however our species has never gone below 1,000 individuals, and that is the conservative limit. 

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

One answer. God the Father = Intelligent Design

Spock

Spock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Ha ha ha!  Yes, I mentioned mutation, but I got ridiculed.  I also said some eye colors were self propagating.  If offspring had an odd color thought to be attractive to others, they would be likely to have more offspring.  But that may be a bit chauvinistic.

I loved your grey wolf avatar! He was so cool looking. Sorry to see it go bye bye.

This one is okay too. Lol

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Well Adam and Eve obviously contained all the genetic information that make up the many different races.  They had pure genetics without any heritage of their own.  Well pure until it was corrupted by sin but you get the idea.

At the Tower of Babel - God split people by language that caused a cultural rift.  Suddenly people found they couldn't communicate with each other and this was the beginning of a cultural divide.

There is micro evolution and I think most anybody would agree with that.  Look at all the races and it's easy to see the micro evolution.  Sunny regions caused people to develop dark skin for protection and people in wintery climates became pale.  Here's the thing though- they never jumped species.  Humans have always been humans since Adam and Eve, and just like dogs, we come in all shapes and sizes.  Yet a dog will always be a dog and a human always a human.  No matter how much they are bred or inbred a new species never arises.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,754 posts

Genetics says Adam and Eve never existed, at least not in any form Genesis would recognize, doesn't matter old earth or young earth. At the very best genetics shows that humans have had genetic bottlenecks, however our species has never gone below 1,000 individuals, and that is the conservative limit. 

That is patently false. Genetics have demonstrated one adam and one eve, which science has then qualified to claim there were more despite the fact that evidence shows 1 and only one original male and female. 

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Ha ha ha! Yes, I mentioned mutation, but I got ridiculed. I also said some eye colors were self propagating. If offspring had an odd color thought to be attractive to others, they would be likely to have more offspring. But that may be a bit chauvinistic.

I loved your grey wolf avatar! He was so cool looking. Sorry to see it go bye bye.

This one is okay too. Lol
It's for comic relief really. :D

LuftWaffle

LuftWaffle

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Here's an example: http://www.dailymail...turn-seven.html

I suspect Adam and Eve's genes had a mixture of the races we have today,

D-9

D-9

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

That is patently false. Genetics have demonstrated one adam and one eve, which science has then qualified to claim there were more despite the fact that evidence shows 1 and only one original male and female. 

You really need to read about the Y-Chromosomal Adam and mtDNA Eve from real scientists, and not rely on AiG or ICR et al for your science information. 

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Every man alive today actually descended from a single man who scientists refer to as "y-chromosomal Adam".

Mitrochondrial Eve takes it a step further.While y-chromosones are only passed down from father to son,mitrochondrial-DNA is passed down from mother to both daughter and son.Because mitrochrondial-DNA is only passed on by the mother and never the father,

mitrochrondrial-DNA lineage is the same as maternal lineage.Knowing this,scientists have found that every human alive today can trace their ancestry back to a single woman whom they now refer to as "mitrochondrial Eve"."Adam named his wife Eve,because she would become the mother of all the living".Genesis 3:20

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
Bopeep do you have a reference

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Bopeep do you have a reference

My dad....Genetics is quite interesting.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,754 posts

You really need to read about the Y-Chromosomal Adam and mtDNA Eve from real scientists, and not rely on AiG or ICR et al for your science information. 

I have. I never read the stuff at AIG or ICR. I look to science sources for science stuff. 

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
First off, as far as I know, blue eyes are considered a mutation, just as blond hair is (for the poster who maintained that Adam had blue eyes and Eve was a blond).

Consider that all the varieties of dogs, and that they have been bred from perhaps on species of wild dog, or that in the wild there was only on kind of tomato, but look at the variety that exists now after a few hundred years of selective 'breeding'.

I suggest that the inherent potential for variations built into one human couple, may be much larger than your family suspects.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
Who dares utter a word against AIG? Mwuahaha!
I think the reference to Eve being blond was ecclesiastical humor!

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network