christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raising Minimum Wages

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

Dawn1974

Dawn1974

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

What is the minimum wage where you live? Do you feel that the minimum wage should be raised? If you are or were to be in a position of unemployment and you are unable to find the job in your profession due to the lack of job market, how do you feel about temporarily taking a minimum wage job?

I live in the state of Illinois. Our minimum wage is currently at $8.25/hr. I feel that our minimum wages should be raised up to at least $10.00/hr. The cost of living is steadily going up. The average 1 bedroom apartment in Chicago starts at about $750/mo.

I lost my job of 11 years in June of 2013. I was working as a Full-Time Teacher Assistant. Chicago Public Schools closed down 50 Schools due to the lack of enrollment. The job market has been low in that area of work that I'm looking for. I am currently looking for another job. 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,534 posts

The problem with raising minimum from say seven or eight dollars to over ten dollars an hour is that the money to pay for that has to come from somewhere.  Employers can't just pull that money out of the air.

Employers often have to maintain a certain level of profitability to remain solvent. Breaking even only kills business.   So there is a profit margin that cannot be touched.   So if I am local shoe store owner and I pay minimum wage and I have to raise that pay from eight dollars an hour to ten dollars an hour, I will have to offset that wage hike by cutting hours and/or employees in order to balance out the flow of income and out-go.   I may also have to raise prices. 

Wage increases should be based on merit and on affordability.  Can I afford to pay more and keep my profit margin?  If so I can afford to offer a wage increase to the employees who have shown that they are deserving of such.

Raising the min. wage won't mean more money and may actually kill job growth.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,508 posts

Blessings Dawn,

Well,Chicago is pretty good(the highest is Washington @ $9.00 per hr)...Florida is only $7.93,I never worked much on an  hourly basis but the truth be told by Shiloh........raising the minimum wage by that extreme would have a very negative effect on employment opportunities and would most likely hurt the "small business" owner the most.............

Yes,if I were not in my present disabled status I would & have(in the past)taken ANY job for ANY amount of wages rather than the alternative,being unemployed.

I a truly sorry to hear that you lost your job & I will pray that God leads you a place of employment where He will bless you bountifully,in Jesus Name....Praise & thank You,Jehovah Jireh-there is none Greater than You!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Minnesota $7.25

That's not a living wage.

The minimum wage should be raised.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,534 posts

One other thing to point out is that the minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage.  It was never meant to keep up with the rate of inflation.  Minimum wage was enacted to be the minimum wage a worker could be paid to basically keep body and soul together.  

People trying to live on minimum wage, need to either find additional employment or increase their earning power by going back to school and/or training to get a marketable skill.   Raising the min wage will hurt the economy by reducing the hours a person can work and in some cases cutting some people from employment roles and raising prices on goods and services, which reduces the overall buying power of the American consumer. 

In addiiton, with the loss of either hours or employment altogether, that means less tax revenue which results in the governent raising taxes on the remainder of the work force, which leads to less money to spend, which means less profits for businesses, which again, leads to cuts in employment and higher prices and the cycle goes on and on.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,029 posts

The minimum wage has been raised over and over again in the past. Has that ever changed anything except to raise prices and drive up the cost of living?

Dawn1974

Dawn1974

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

When I was still working at my school there was a group of people in downtown Chicago fight for $15.00/hr. Now I agree that that at this time is not a reality.

There was a teacher at my school who said something that felt was a little insensitive. She was very critical towards people who work minimum wages that are in their 30's and 40's. I agree that everyone should want to pursue better. However, you can't be critical. you never know how they got in that situation. For many, these are people who may have lost their jobs and can't seem to find one in their major. So therefore, they temporarily took a minimum wage job.

This experience is truly an eye opener and very sobering. It's one of those things that some people might not understand unless they have lived through it.

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

When I was still working at my school there was a group of people in downtown Chicago fight for $15.00/hr. Now I agree that that at this time is not a reality.

There was a teacher at my school who said something that felt was a little insensitive. She was very critical towards people who work minimum wages that are in their 30's and 40's. I agree that everyone should want to pursue better. However, you can't be critical. you never know how they got in that situation. For many, these are people who may have lost their jobs and can't seem to find one in their major. So therefore, they temporarily took a minimum wage job.

This experience is truly an eye opener and very sobering. It's one of those things that some people might not understand unless they have lived through it.

i agree...  :thumbsup:

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts

You can not judge others.Some can only work for minimum wage.And that is trying to raise a family on that.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,534 posts

You can not judge others.Some can only work for minimum wage.And that is trying to raise a family on that.

Boy, that is rough.  I know some people doing the same thing. I try to help them out when I can.  They are living hand-to-mouth every week.  They both working two min wage jobs and neither is getting more than 35 hours a week.  He just applied for a pizza delivery job as a third form of income so they can at least break even on the bills.  She works at Hardee's (fast food) and it is really stressful for both of them.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts

Boy, that is rough.  I know some people doing the same thing. I try to help them out when I can.  They are living hand-to-mouth every week.  They both working two min wage jobs and neither is getting more than 35 hours a week.  He just applied for a pizza delivery job as a third form of income so they can at least break even on the bills.  She works at Hardee's (fast food) and it is really stressful for both of them.

Many are living out of their cars.

Dawn1974

Dawn1974

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

You know what's funny? In Chicago we have had a winter cold blast for the last 3 days. I have not been able to get out and continue my search on foot. So I have been searching online. Even though I have not been able to go out because of the cold, my bills keep coming in reguardless of the cold. Lol

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,534 posts

You know what's funny? In Chicago we have had a winter cold blast for the last 3 days. I have not been able to get out and continue my search on foot. So I have been searching online. Even though I have not been able to go out because of the cold, my bills keep coming in reguardless of the cold. Lol

call your bill collectors and work something out with them.  I am sure they will be merciful due to the mitigating circumstances caused by the weather.  Usually if you talk to them, they will work with you.

Dawn1974

Dawn1974

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

To God be the glory I am caught up on all my bills through the unemployment money. I just thought it was funny that I couldn't get out, but my mail kept coming in.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

i agree...  :thumbsup:

Absolutely. I read about a guy that was making well over a hundred thousand dollars a year. He's now delivering pizza. 

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,889 posts

Alot of the homeless are coming into Emergency Rooms right now with hypothermia.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,014 posts

What is the minimum wage where you live? Do you feel that the minimum wage should be raised? If you are or were to be in a position of unemployment and you are unable to find the job in your profession due to the lack of job market, how do you feel about temporarily taking a minimum wage job?

I live in the state of Illinois. Our minimum wage is currently at $8.25/hr. I feel that our minimum wages should be raised up to at least $10.00/hr. The cost of living is steadily going up. The average 1 bedroom apartment in Chicago starts at about $750/mo.

I lost my job of 11 years in June of 2013. I was working as a Full-Time Teacher Assistant. Chicago Public Schools closed down 50 Schools due to the lack of enrollment. The job market has been low in that area of work that I'm looking for. I am currently looking for another job. 

I don't believe there should be any minimum wage.  All minimum wage laws should be abolished.  All they do is lead to jobs being cut or prices being raised, and they make us less competitive with the rest of the world.  If you raise the minimum wage to $10 per hour for instance, the employers will either cut jobs and put more work on those still employed, or they will raise the price on everything to make up for the higher wages.  Take the fast food places for an example.  You raise the minimum wage for burger flippers at McDonalds, and the price on everything goes up.  Now those on a low income don't have enough money to buy that big mac, so they don't stop at McDonalds.  This means they don't need as many workers, so people are laid off.  As prices have gone up, I have reduced the amount of money I spend on fast food.  I have even cut down on buying coffee at truck stops because their prices have gone up, and I drink instant coffee instead.  I know a lot of textile jobs that were lost because the minimum wage made them unable to compete with imports, and I can't tell you how many people lost their jobs entirely.  It was not a "living wage," but in many cases it was an extra income in a household, and it made a huge difference when it came to buying food, clothes and paying the utilities.  There are always consequences to the government getting involved in things, and the minimum wage was a bad idea from the beginning.  My position is that we abolish it completely on the state and federal level and let the market determine wages. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts

I have mixed feelings about this, since I have been unemployed for about six weeks. It seems nice to have a minimum wage but it's economically unrealistic. I realise that minimum wages are meant to keep workers from being exploited, but if the market was free to do its own thing then jobs would boom and wages would rise anyway.

Saying that. it's no fun to work for minimum wage and to work for anything less than that would be a travesty.

In the end, I would have to settle for economic sense and say that minimum wages are a bad thing.

Just for the record, the minimum wage in the UK is about £6 per hour (I think), which is between $9 and $10.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,534 posts

Minimum wages should be determined state by state.  I would say get rid of a federal minimum wage.   The reason is that economies differ from state to state.   $10.00 an hour in West Virginia is not the same as $10.00 in New York City.   Rather than having a one-size-fits-all federal minimum wage, let each state decide on its own based on its unique economic realities.

If we get rid of minimum wages altogether, we would revert back to a time when employers were paying people almost nothing. There does need to be safeguard in place to keep employers from paying wages that are unfairly low.  

Raises in pay need to be based on merit and affordability for the company. 

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,014 posts

Minimum wages should be determined state by state.  I would say get rid of a federal minimum wage.   The reason is that economies differ from state to state.   $10.00 an hour in West Virginia is not the same as $10.00 in New York City.   Rather than having a one-size-fits-all federal minimum wage, let each state decide on its own based on its unique economic realities.

If we get rid of minimum wages altogether, we would revert back to a time when employers were paying people almost nothing. There does need to be safeguard in place to keep employers from paying wages that are unfairly low.  

Raises in pay need to be based on merit and affordability for the company. 

As far as I am concerned, if someone will work for 10 cents an hour, you should be able to pay them that wage.  Reality is, nobody will work for that salary, and the market will force employers to pay a reasonable wage for the job someone is doing.  I agree with everything you said about wages in one state needing to be different than in another state.  A person can survive on a much lower wage in North Carolina than in New York or California.  The free market will force wages to be higher in places where the cost of living is higher. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network