christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Female angles????!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

Autumn324121

Autumn324121
  • 3 posts
So I was on fb today and my friend makes a post about female angles. We kind of got into a debate as I was always taught that angles were male? She also said there is an angle named Gloria in the bible? I was also taught there were on four named angles in the bible all of which were male? I have kind of been confused on what I was taught as a young age anyways so I guess my question is.... Am I wrong are there female angles? And is there also a angle named Gloria? Please any input would help

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
I only looked at this thread because I was curious about what a female angle is. I fially figured out that you meant female angels.

No angel in the bible is ever depicted as female. However, if I had to make an argument for the existence of female angels, it would be that Jesus said the people will be like the angels in heaven (Mark 12 & Matt 22), not having marital relationships. That slightly hints at the possibility of angels having more than one gender, but of course if the are all male or all genderless, then we would not expect to see angel marriage.

My belief is that although angels seem to depicted in the bible in male terms, they are in fact, genderless - i do not think they have reproductive parts. I hope that does not turn this thread into a debate on human/angelic relations.

The word gloria does not appear in English bibles, if your friend things there is an angel named gloria, have her present the verse, that should be simple enough.

Boash

Boash

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
The only angels mentioned in the bible by name are Michael, Gabriel and Lucifer. There is no Gloria.

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

From my understanding, angels have no specific gender, unless it was the Angel of The Lord, which I was taught is the pre-incarnate Jesus Christ.  We do use the male pronoun when speaking of the Holy Spirit, God and some angels.  And yes, Michael and Gabriel are male names, but I am still fairly sure God, the Holy Spirit and all of the angels have no specific gender, and/or probably both male and female attributes.

Many were spoken of in male ways, as when Jacob wrestled with the angel, but again, if the Angel of The Lord is Jesus Christ, then that may be why.  

Will be interesting to see what others have to say.  I know Jesus spoke in feminine terms, sometimes.  One example is when He was lamenting over Jerusalem and said He longed to gather them "under His wings as a mother hen gathers her chicks...."

I agree with you, Omegaman.  There will be no marriage in heaven and I understand this as you have described.

Maybe the person who thought there was an angel Gloria just misread where the angels sang Gloria?  Glory to God in the highest and peace to His people on earth.  Amen!

I remain your genderless brother/sister in Jesus Christ,

PrairWarur - ain't telling.  LOL  *wink*

Spock

Spock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
Some people would disagree about being gender less.

There are people who believe angels had relations with humans and created giants, I think they were called Nephalim or something close to that.

Perhaps God flooded the earth to get rid of them since they were not part of his plan.

Anyhow, I can only speculate and share what others more learned than I have stated.

Here is the passage in Genesis 6 for your benefit. Cheers.

1When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend witha humans forever, for they are mortalb ; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

4The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

5The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,893 posts

I think the Bible says that the angels do not have any gender.

stirstik

stirstik
  • Members *
  • 97 posts

Never heard of a female angle, but I have heard of obtuse and acute ones.

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Zechariah 5:5-11 (NASB95)
5 Then the angel who was speaking with me went out and said to me, “Lift up now your eyes and see what this is going forth.”
6 I said, “What is it?” And he said, “This is the ephah going forth.” Again he said, “This is their appearance in all the land
7 (and behold, a lead cover was lifted up); and this is a woman sitting inside the ephah.”
8 Then he said, “This is Wickedness!” And he threw her down into the middle of the ephah and cast the lead weight on its opening.
9 Then I lifted up my eyes and looked, and there two women were coming out with the wind in their wings; and they had wings like the wings of a stork, and they lifted up the ephah between the earth and the heavens.
10 I said to the angel who was speaking with me, “Where are they taking the ephah?”
11 Then he said to me, “To build a temple for her in the land of Shinar; and when it is prepared, she will be set there on her own pedestal.”

two women with the wings of a levitically unclean bird.

angels? prophetic imagery?

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
Remember the cute little cherubs we see shooting arrows on Valentine's day and in Raphael's paintings? Read how Ezekiel discribes them in Chap. 1:5-21. Also in Chap. 10 And Revelations 4:6 had them as 4 seperate creatures with eyes all around and they each had 6 wings. Like the Seraphim they cry holy holy holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come.

But in Ezekiel they have a wheel within a wheel and the rims are full of eyes. There have 4 faces: a face of a man, one of an ox, one of an eagle and one of a lion. They don't turn. They have 4 wings, 2 touch above them and 2 cover their bodies. The looked like burning coals of fire and lightning went out from them. The spirit of them was in the wheels.

The Seraphim in Isaiah 6 are angels with 6 wings that also are pretty awesome. They cover their feet with 2 wings and their faces with 2, fly with the other 2, and cry holy holy holy is the Lord of Hosts, heaven and earth are full of his glory. They are referred to as being messengers that are flames of fire I believe in Hebrews and Psalms. Angel means messenger and Seraph might mean fire. There are images of them covering the arch of the covenant in the Holy of Holys, and they serve before God's throne in heaven, too.

Then there are the archangels Gabriel the messenger and Michael the angel that watches over Israel. We are said in Hebrews to have guardian angels that watch over believers. God has armies of angels called hosts which is why He is called Lord of hosts.
Of course there is Lucifer or Bealzabub, the devil our adversary, the father of lies and the accuser of the brethern. He is also another another cherub that sort of has delusions of grandure since in his pride he opposes his own Creator. But it doesn't make much sense for us to do that either.

There is some indication in Zechariah 5:6-9 that 2 women with wings like a stork carried a female called wickedness in a basket. Some people think they are angels but if they carry wickedness I can't imagine that they are good angels. They aren't named.

But since the angels that came to the shepherds to announce Christ's birth were singing gloria in excelsis Deo in Latin or glory to God in the Highest In English, it is very possible that is why she misunderstood that the name is gloria.
I see the last 2 comments were mentioned previously. Sorry. But now I have Angels We Have Heard On High running through my head. LOL

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,883 posts

:)

lol, Beloved Try Not To Be Obtuse When Messing With Angles Angels

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Luke 2:8-12

But Please Do Try To Be Acute Accurate

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:13-14

giggling appy

giggling appy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

She also said there is an angle named Gloria in the bible?

There is no angel named Gloria in the bible.  Sometimes people misread or mishear songs, stories, etc. . . and it would be helpful if your friend can recall where she heard or read this. Another guess of where one might come up with an angel named Gloria is from the t.v show. . . “touched by an angel”. Valarie Bertinelli plays an angel on the show named Gloria. Although the head writer is said to be a Christian, much of the stories themselves while entertaining, are far from biblical.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

:biggrin2:

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Blessings Autumn,

Welcome to Worthy,I very quickly glanced over the previous posts so if I repeat something that was already said....well,that will probably be a good confirmation............In the Books of Mark & Matthew,Jesus explains that we will not be husbands or wives(not married) & compares that to the way the angels in heaven are(paraphrasing)which leads us to believe it is unlikely that there will be genders(male & female people)in heaven,in our glorified new bodies.....and from various descriptions of angels(seraphim & cherubim)having six wings & more than one face etc...we can see that they are not like any creature we have ever seen......

I would say there are not female angels,nor male......Gabriel & Michael probably took on the images that they did(as males)when they appeared to those that they did so they would not frighten anyone out of their wits!Even as they did suddenly appear,glowing,they had to say,"do not be afraid"................after all,they are "out of this world".....Glory to God!

As far as Gloria-it is Latin & in Catholicism it begins the Mass & is a Doxology "gloria patri"......as a word-it actually means" halo."......Which is used to refer to the "glory" of

So,in Catholicism,usually as a caption under a celestial painting of angels ....the  doxology it would mean"Glorious Father"      The angels are said to be singing"Gloria in exelsis Dio" which means Glory to the Highest to the God.....There is no angel in the Bible named Gloria,I think your friend probably had a Catholic Bible with photos & misunderstood the captions.I actually have one of those Bibles,it used to belong to my mother

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Autumn324121

Autumn324121
  • 3 posts
Thank you guys for the responses !

Autumn324121

Autumn324121
  • 3 posts
And sorry about the misspelling of angel I'm on my phone and it seems to always have a mind of its own!

kat7310

kat7310
  • Members
  • 8 posts

The first female was Eve.  There are no female angels

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Thank you, Willamina!  That was awesome!

Always in His care,

PrairWarur

Izzel

Izzel

Veteran Member

• Members *
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

I think the Bible says that the angels do not have any gender.

The bible says the angels are males only notice that non of the fallen angels were females and that they took human wives 

Joshua-777

Joshua-777

Royal Member

• Worthy Prayer Partner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

God's creation is so huge, we cannot begin to comprehend all he has created on the earth let alone what is in the third heavens. I can't believe that feminine beings are just His earthly invention. He is an infinite creator and has created multitudes of angels. The concept of male and female was His idea, not ours.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Some people would disagree about being gender less.

There are people who believe angels had relations with humans and created giants, I think they were called Nephalim or something close to that.

This is what I aluded to when I said "My belief is that although angels seem to depicted in the bible in male terms, they are in fact, genderless - i do not think they have reproductive parts. I hope that does not turn this thread into a debate on human/angelic relations."

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network