christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How Old Is The Earth According To The Bible?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,629 posts
How Old Is The Earth According To The Bible? by John D. Morris, Ph.D.

http://www.icr.org/a...ccording-bible/

The Institute for Creation Research has always taught, as an integral part of its ministry, the concept of the young earth. We have never put an absolute date on the age of the earth. We feel that the Bible doesn't provide all the information necessary for certainty, as shown by the fact that almost every Bible scholar who has ever tried to discern the exact date has come to slightly different conclusions. Maybe all the information is there but we just don't understand it fully yet.

However, lest we be too concerned, every honest attempt to determine the date, starting with a deep commitment to the inerrancy of God's Word, has calculated a span of just a few thousand years, most likely close to 6000 years, since creation. The largest figure I've ever seen from a trustworthy scholar is approximately 15,000 years, but even this seems to stretch the Biblical data too far.

To calculate the date one must first employ the genealogical data given in Genesis, I & II Chronicles, the Gospels, and elsewhere. Information gleaned from Judges, I & II Kings, Daniel, Acts, and other books must be included as well. Since dates are fairly well established archaeologically beginning at about the time of David, these can be a big help. This is because so many Biblical events are referenced to the reigns of individual kings. Obviously, the job is difficult.

Of course the genealogies only begin with the creation of Adam, so the question of time before Adam remains. As has been well noted on these pages, the six days of Creation Week must be of the same length as our days. We recognize, however, that the Hebrew word yom, translated "day," can have a variety of meanings, including an indefinite period of time. Thus, some have suggested that these six days might then be equated with the billions of years claimed by geologists.

Whenever a word in Scripture can have a variety of meanings, we must go to the context to determine what it does mean and not be content with what it might mean. And when we do, we find that the first time yom is used, it is defined as a solar day (Genesis 1:3), and then a total day/night cycle (1:3).

Furthermore, yom is modified by "evening and morning," which in Hebrew can only mean a literal day. It is also modified by an ordinal number (first, second, etc.), a construction limited in Hebrew to that of a literal day. Elsewhere the six days of creation are equated with the six days of our work week (Exodus 20:11), a formula incorporated in the fourth of the Ten Commandments regarding the Sabbath rest. We should mention that the use of a numeral to modify "days," in this case "6," is again reserved for a literal day in Hebrew, as is the use of the plural word "days."

Suffice it to say that no one could conclude that Scripture specifically places Creation any longer ago than a few thousand years, and to my knowledge no one does. Many do hold to an older position, but not for Scriptural reasons. They are convinced by radioisotope dating, perhaps, or maybe the molecular clock of mutation rates, or some other line of thinking, but not from Scripture.

Scripture teaches a young earth, and the time has come for Christians to stop twisting Scripture to fit the evolutionary and uniformitarian speculations of some scientists about the unobserved past. We suggest it's time for such Christians to stop calling themselves "Bible-believing" Christians and start using some such name as "world-believing" Christians.

*Dr. John Morris is the President of ICR.

NeedYouLord

NeedYouLord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Much love to you In Him,

Just a confirmation...I had heard this also from Carl Baugh of the Creation Evidence Museum of Texas...His work is wonderful to me...

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,609 posts

Amen~!

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

The Bible says the earth is about 6,000 years old give or take a few years.

D-9

D-9

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

I think it is clear that the first day of creation was Sunday October 23, 4004 BC (Ussher). Which makes the universe 6017 years and ~2.5 months old give or take a few days. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,579 posts

So we're saying about 4000 BC then. This kind of makes sense because we have virtually no recorded history from before then.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,629 posts

I usually think of a time frame of 6,000 to 10,000 years old.  That allows for some of the telescoping that occurred during a few of the genealogical records.

MrsRational

MrsRational

• Members *
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

So we're saying about 4000 BC then. This kind of makes sense because we have virtually no recorded history from before then.

Sure, as long as you ignore the Vinca symbols (7000 B.C.), the Tartaria tablets (5300 B.C.) and Paleolithic cave symbols (30,000 B.C.).

If people really think the world is only 6000 years old despite overpowering scientific evidence to the contrary, than I am at a loss as to what to tell someone in such a state of denial.

Edited by MrsRational, 08 January 2014 - 04:59 PM.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,629 posts

Sure, as long as you ignore the Vinca symbols (7000 B.C.), the Tartaria tablets (5300 B.C.) and Paleolithic cave symbols (30,000 B.C.).

If people really think the world is only 6000 years old despite overpowering scientific evidence to the contrary, than I am at a loss as to what to tell someone in such a state of denial.

Scientific dating methods have already been shown to be unreliable. So there is no reason to accept what sciene claims.  Science has never proven the age of the earth.

MrsRational

MrsRational

• Members *
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Funny, only young earth creationists ever seem to claim dating methods are flawed. <sarcasm>I wonder why that is. </sarcasm>

Edited by MrsRational, 09 January 2014 - 04:24 AM.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,629 posts

Funny, only young earth creationists ever seem to claim dating methods are flawed. <sarcasm>I wonder why that is. </sarcasm>

Actually it is well-known  in the science community that C14 dating is off but an unswerving devotion to the Evolution hypothesis forces them to ignore the errors and inconsistencies in the dating process.  Same goes for radioisotope datings as well.

ARGOSY

ARGOSY

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I'm not a YEC. Yet I claim dating methods are flawed. This is because they are flawed. 

ARGOSY

ARGOSY

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

How Old Is The Earth According To The Bible? by John D. Morris, Ph.D.

http://www.icr.org/a...ccording-bible/

The Institute for Creation Research has always taught, as an integral part of its ministry, the concept of the young earth. We have never put an absolute date on the age of the earth. We feel that the Bible doesn't provide all the information necessary for certainty, as shown by the fact that almost every Bible scholar who has ever tried to discern the exact date has come to slightly different conclusions. Maybe all the information is there but we just don't understand it fully yet.

However, lest we be too concerned, every honest attempt to determine the date, starting with a deep commitment to the inerrancy of God's Word, has calculated a span of just a few thousand years, most likely close to 6000 years, since creation. The largest figure I've ever seen from a trustworthy scholar is approximately 15,000 years, but even this seems to stretch the Biblical data too far.

To calculate the date one must first employ the genealogical data given in Genesis, I & II Chronicles, the Gospels, and elsewhere. Information gleaned from Judges, I & II Kings, Daniel, Acts, and other books must be included as well. Since dates are fairly well established archaeologically beginning at about the time of David, these can be a big help. This is because so many Biblical events are referenced to the reigns of individual kings. Obviously, the job is difficult.

Of course the genealogies only begin with the creation of Adam, so the question of time before Adam remains. As has been well noted on these pages, the six days of Creation Week must be of the same length as our days. We recognize, however, that the Hebrew word yom, translated "day," can have a variety of meanings, including an indefinite period of time. Thus, some have suggested that these six days might then be equated with the billions of years claimed by geologists.

Whenever a word in Scripture can have a variety of meanings, we must go to the context to determine what it does mean and not be content with what it might mean. And when we do, we find that the first time yom is used, it is defined as a solar day (Genesis 1:3), and then a total day/night cycle (1:3).

Furthermore, yom is modified by "evening and morning," which in Hebrew can only mean a literal day. It is also modified by an ordinal number (first, second, etc.), a construction limited in Hebrew to that of a literal day. Elsewhere the six days of creation are equated with the six days of our work week (Exodus 20:11), a formula incorporated in the fourth of the Ten Commandments regarding the Sabbath rest. We should mention that the use of a numeral to modify "days," in this case "6," is again reserved for a literal day in Hebrew, as is the use of the plural word "days."

Suffice it to say that no one could conclude that Scripture specifically places Creation any longer ago than a few thousand years, and to my knowledge no one does. Many do hold to an older position, but not for Scriptural reasons. They are convinced by radioisotope dating, perhaps, or maybe the molecular clock of mutation rates, or some other line of thinking, but not from Scripture.

Scripture teaches a young earth, and the time has come for Christians to stop twisting Scripture to fit the evolutionary and uniformitarian speculations of some scientists about the unobserved past. We suggest it's time for such Christians to stop calling themselves "Bible-believing" Christians and start using some such name as "world-believing" Christians.

*Dr. John Morris is the President of ICR.

I still don't get it.  He correctly acknowledges that creation week is solar days, and yet does not acknowledge that the earth was created before the first solar day.  A literal view of the bible contradicts YEC because the earth existed BEFORE the first solar day of creation week.  I always ask YEC's why they have this non-biblical belief that the earth was created within creation week that completely contradicts the wording of our bible:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty,darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so.God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day

The bible itself says the earth was created and the earth had darkness. Then we had light, then we had the first evening (light fades away), then the first morning (light comes back), that was the first day.

The earth existed, and was in darkness before the first day, YEC is therefore an unbiblical view. I believe biological life is about 6000 years old (very similar to the YEC view) but I take the bible wording too seriously and too literally to accept the non-biblical view that the whole planet is only about 6000 years old.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,629 posts

I still don't get it.  He correctly acknowledges that creation week is solar days, and yet does not acknowledge that the earth was created before the first solar day.

Because the argument that God allowed the earth to exist void and formless for millions of years and then created everything in six days is simply an untenable approach to the text.   There is nothing in the biblical text to suggest that earth existed for millions of years prior to the crestion week.  You are penciling something into the text that is not there.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Would you be so kind as to post the passage in the bible that says that?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,629 posts

The Bible doesn't say it in so many words, but assuming the Bible is 100% true and God created the earth in six literal days  we can deduce the age of the earth from the genealogical records provided in the Scriptures, even accounting for the practice of telescoping used in some of those genealogies.

ARGOSY

ARGOSY

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I still don't get it.  He correctly acknowledges that creation week is solar days, and yet does not acknowledge that the earth was created before the first solar day.

Because the argument that God allowed the earth to exist void and formless for millions of years and then created everything in six days is simply an untenable approach to the text.   There is nothing in the biblical text to suggest that earth existed for millions of years prior to the crestion week.  You are penciling something into the text that is not there.

I'm all ears to be convinced here. I have always argued the YEC position that life is only 6000 years old, and so its not a big jump for me to include the earth in that as well.  So you have a ready adherent to your view, show me why my approach is untenable to the text. So far I have actually explained to you why your appraoch is untenable, because the bible says the earth was created before the first day even started (a day starts in the evening, at the first sunset). Kindly now convince me why my approach is untenable. So far you haven't explained your interpretation of Genesis 1:1

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,609 posts

Luke

1. God
  2. Adam
  3. Seth
  4. Enosh
  5. Kenan
  6. Mahalalel
  7. Jared
  8. Enoch
  9. Methuselah
  10. Lamech
  11. Noah
  12. Shem
  13. Arphaxad
  14. Cainan
  1. Shelah
  2. Eber
  3. Peleg
  4. Reu
  5. Serug
  6. Nahor
  7. Terah
  8. Abraham
  9. Isaac
  10. Jacob
  11. Judah
  12. Perez
  1. Hezron
  2. Ram
  3. Amminadab
  4. Nahshon
  5. Salmon
  6. Boaz
  7. Obed
  8. Jesse
  9. David
  10. Nathan
  11. Mattatha
  12. Menna
  13. Melea
  1. Eliakim
  2. Jonam
  3. Joseph
  4. Judah
  5. Simeon
  6. Levi
  7. Matthat
  8. Jorim
  9. Eliezer
  10. Joshua
  11. Er
  12. Elmadam
  13. Cosam
  1. Addi
  2. Melchi
  3. Neri
  4. Shealtiel
  5. Zerubbabel
  6. Rhesa
  7. Joanan
  8. Joda
  9. Josech
  10. Semein
  11. Mattathias
  12. Mahath
  13. Naggai
  1. Hesli
  2. Nahum
  3. Amos
  4. Mattathias
  5. Joseph
  6. Jannai
  7. Melchi
  8. Levi
  9. Matthat
  10. Heli
  11. Joseph
  12. Jesus

http://en.wikipedia....Jesus#Omissions

PS: Some Highly Payed To Know The Truth Will Take Blood Money

To Deny The Holy Bible Is The Word Of God

To Their Eternal Shame

Luke

And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,
Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,
Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,
Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,
Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,
Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,
Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
Luke 3:23-37

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,629 posts

I'm all ears to be convinced here. I have always argued the YEC position that life is only 6000 years old, and so its not a big jump for me to include the earth in that as well.  So you have a ready adherent to your view, show me why my approach is untenable to the text. So far I have actually explained to you why your appraoch is untenable, because the bible says the earth was created before the first day even started (a day starts in the evening, at the first sunset). Kindly now convince me why my approach is untenable. So far you haven't explained your interpretation of Genesis 1:1

Genesis 1:1 is just an introductory  synopsis. It is a self contained thought and has no grammatical connection to verse 2.   It says that in the beginning God created the heavens and earth.   Starting with verse two, we get a brief explanation as to how that took place.   Genesis chapter one and into chapter two is a brief overview of the creation week.  

There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that the earth is millions of years old.  You are penciling that into the text.  We can deduce from the Scriptures that from Genesis 1:2 to today, it has been 6,000 to10,000 years.

I would also add that this view of the earth being millions of years old and the creation week being 6 literal days is not an ordinary claim made by OECers.  I cannot find any mainstream OEC proponents who make that claim. Is that something you have derived on your own?

ARGOSY

ARGOSY

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Start with Genesis 5 and we get an exact period from Adam's creation until Noah is 500 years old. The flood occurred 100 years later when he was 600 years old.

Then jump to Genesis 11:10 where we get a period from the flood until Abraham's birth.

Genesis 17 , Abraham was 100 when he had Isaac

Genesis 25  Isaac was 60 when he had Jacob

When Jacob is elderly he goes to Egypt, for allegedly 400 years of the Israel sojourn in Egypt.  

Then we have the judges period, add up the periods of peace, and war, and reigns of the judges all through the book of Judges.

The last judges are Eli, then Samuel, then Samuel's sons.

Then we get the 40 year reigns of Saul, David and Solomon and we hit modern history.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network