christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

pastor quits religion for one year

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,764 posts

http://www.abc15.com...obs-gains-19000

I fear for this man. I think he is going to end up walking away. 

I cant even imagine turning from the Lord the way he is doing. 

I also fully support the employers who let him go. They expected to have someone of faith in the job. 

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Hmmm...putting God on the shelf?Than would be dangerous.Makes you wonder if he truly loved God at all.

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
I know of several pastors who "burned out" and gave up the ministry but still attended a church. They had been doing God's work in their own strength instead of relying on the Holy Spirit. But they never denied their faith. Another, after several years attending another church, was called to be an associate pastor there.

This person seems to be in total rebellion. But you can never tell by what the press tells you. Yet his choices in the past were not the most scriptural, and he seems to no longer be married. Perhaps if his wife had died he may be pretty mixed up, but I suspect his problem lies much deeper. I wonder if he had ever made Christ to be Lord of his life. If he does belong to God he will be chastened severely and will be very miserable. Hopefully God will continue to call Him back to Himself.

But I personally know several pastors who were never even saved. One became a pastor after an aptitude test said he would make a good lawyer or pastor. Another did so because it was his mother's dream. No one has any business in the ministry if they were not called by God to serve there.

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Williamina took the words right out of my fingers, lol.  Yeah looking at this guys past it doesn't seem like he was ever a real Christian.  One thing for sure is anybody that truly knows the Lord would never do such a thing. 

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Blessings to All!

Wow Jade,this is a pretty sad story......sounds very rebellious,an experiment with God????? & he said it himself,he is leaning on his own intellect....I am wondering if he ever had any indwelling of the Holy Spirit.......& note how quickly the enemy stepped in to jump on that bandwagon when they offered him financial support..................the god of this world busy at work!

Its also scarey to think that this fellow was teaching & mentoring those in seminary,I can only imagine how he may have filled their heads having supported gay rights & same sex marriage while he was pastoring.............I agree with you & his former employers that he did not deserve to hold his positions.....................Really gotta pray for this guy,he is in serious peril

With love,in Christ-Kwik

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,039 posts

Cha-Ching~!

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. John 10:11-13

And The Mockers Get Duly Warned

And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: Genesis 3:14

Bell had announced his experiment to "try on" atheism for a year in The Huffington Post on New Year's Eve, saying he was struggling with his faith and had difficulty reconciling it with the treatment of homosexuals and women in the Adventist Church.

"For the next 12 months I will live as if there is no God. I will not pray, read the Bible for inspiration, refer to God as the cause of things or hope that God might intervene and change my own or someone else's circumstances," he said, clarifying that he was not an atheist ("at least not yet").

Ro Os, a friend of the ex-pastor, warned against the pitfalls of Bell's experiment on the fundraising campaign's page.

"Ryan is a personal friend. I support anyone honestly wrestling with questions of belief and unbelief, as any half-thoughtful person must. Dietrich Bonhoeffer's move toward 'religionless Christianity' comes to mind. I am disheartened, however, by performative aspect of this campaign, which is not honest in the way that it paints Ryan as the victim of heartless Christians who abandoned him in his time of need," wrote Os. http://www.christian...-a-year-112196/

And Ryan Still Gets Wept Over And Held Up

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is heaviness. The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself. Proverbs 14;12-14

To The Throne By Believers Who Know The Heart

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him. Psalms 126:5-6

Of The LORD

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6

Jesus

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5-8

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts
I can see taking a break from church, a pastors job is quite stressful, but taking a break from God sounds dangerous. I pray he learns something from this.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Taking a break from their church and taking a break from God are two different things.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

No genuine child of God would ever do what this individual is doing.

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

I have also known a pastor that was "burned out" and he had to take a year off but his was issues concerning his health and he didnt quit on God, just the ministry but he got back into the swing of things, he still pastors. I would think we all go thru times where we get burned out of things, and even jobs. It happens. 

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I did not read the whole story. But I wonder if this pastor only had a "religion" and not God. From what I read it sounds like it was just his "job" to be a pastor and teach at a Christian school. Where he followed the rules like any other job but did  not  have a real relationship with Christ. I guess I don't really understand.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Since your name is "man" and not "God" I don't think your in any position to question this mans salvation. ;-)

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Since your name is "man" and not "God" I don't think your in any position to question this mans salvation. ;-)

For the next 12 months, Bell says he will live as if there is no God.

He will not pray, go to church, read the Bible for inspiration, trust in divine providence or hope in things unseen. He’s taking the opposite of a leap of faith: a free fall into the depths of religious doubt.

Bell said. “I’m suspending my belief in God to see what atheism is all about.”

I'm going on what the man said. I'm not questioning anything.   :thumbsup:

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,764 posts

I told my hubby about this today and thought about what this guy is doing. 

I have times when I get caught up in worldly stuff and dont pray as I should or read the bible as I should, yet I spend time every day talking to God. Whether in my car or around the house, or outside, whatever. I spend time talking to Him. Quick prayers on the run (like if Im in the car and passing an accident) or just a quick praise or thank You Lord. Or just a comment to God throughout my day. I cannot imagine willfully cutting that kind of link, that kind of communication. Not for one day, much less one year. 

I fear for this guy. 

stirstik

stirstik
  • Members *
  • 97 posts

This reminds me of a recent story where an atheist journalist decided to go on a one year experimented where he followed the bible as accurately as possible, he ended up converting at the end of the experiment

This guy, http://ajjacobs.com/...ing-biblically/

Edited by stirstik, 08 January 2014 - 11:04 PM.

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

I do not necessarily  mean this fellow...

But what if we have been going about the organization of the Church all wrong?

We set up congregations of laity centered on the professional Christians (clergy) and pass the buck of our own personal ministries on to the pastors and deacons and elders... so we can be as worldly as we feel comfortable with...

Sound familiar?

Clergy / laity is not in the New Testament / New Covenant. We are the priesthood of the believers / kingdom of priests (1 Peter 2:3-9 / Revelation 1:6 / Revelation 5:10).

It was in the Old Testament / Old Covenant after Exodus 32 when Israel really blew it (to the point that God was about to wipe them all out and start over again with Moses). The one tribe that came to Moses' aid was the priestly tribe from then on and the rest (if you will) were laity. God had high hopes for them prior to that though...

Exodus 19:6 (NASB95)
6 and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the sons of Israel.”

There's a lot we Christians shoot our mouths off about what the Jews did wrong.

So why are we doing this wrong?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,039 posts

This reminds me of a recent story where an atheist journalist decided to go on a one year experimented where he followed the bible as accurately as possible, he ended up converting at the end of the experiment

This guy, http://ajjacobs.com/...ing-biblically/

~

The Saddest Thing I've Read Today

A spiritual journey. As an agnostic, I’d never seriously explored such things as sacredness and revelation. http://ajjacobs.com/...ing-biblically/

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.  John 3:35-36

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts

Can't loose it if you really have it; can't loose what you never had in the first place.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Based on this man's life as a Christian, it didn't seem like he was really following God in the first place.  His beliefs were at odds with the Bible all along, and it appears he is trying atheism because he has problems with Biblical teachings.  I personally don't believe you can choose to be an atheist.  You either believe in God or you don't.  You can choose to live like an unbeliever, as this man is doing, but he either believes in his heart God is real or he does not.  It comes across more to me he believes in God but doesn't like him.  He needs prayer to come to God for real for the first time. 

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

For many are called, but few are chosen. And wide is the gate that leads to destruction and there are many who go in by it. For if we willfully sin, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sin.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network