christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Typical Worldly thinking…

marraige

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

So I was reading an article today on a news site I don’t think I can link to here.  They were talking about the “war on poverty” and how one of the “mistakes” they made was telling single moms to get married as this helped them out of poverty.   It seems that out of those that did there was a 60% divorce rate and most ended up worse off than they were. 

So, in typical worldly thinking they blamed the problem on the women getting married vice on the fact they failed to stay married.   I don’t think it even occurred to them that the problem was the divorces and not the getting married part. 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,490 posts

That article appears to have really got it wrong  It is a fact that marriage is better for the economy.  Divorced and otherwise unwed mothers are more likely to live in poverty.

In fact, during 2004 - 2008 we spent more on unwed mothers than we did on the Iraq war.   Unwed mothers are 24% more likely to end up in poverty as opposed to only 1% of married mothers.

You are correct; they got it wrong.  Marriage isn't the problem.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

So I was reading an article today on a news site I don’t think I can link to here.  They were talking about the “war on poverty” and how one of the “mistakes” they made was telling single moms to get married as this helped them out of poverty.   It seems that out of those that did there was a 60% divorce rate and most ended up worse off than they were. 

So, in typical worldly thinking they blamed the problem on the women getting married vice on the fact they failed to stay married.   I don’t think it even occurred to them that the problem was the divorces and not the getting married part. 

Bad advise   :o

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,465 posts

:thumbsup:

The Typical Worldly Thinking Is To Divide And To Crush

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:31-32

Whereas In God's Plain The Woman's # 1 Cheerleader Is Her Husband

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Psalms 31:28

It's So Simple Even A Fourth Grader Can Figure It Out

Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD. Proverbs 18:22

a-seeker

a-seeker

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

:thumbsup:

The Typical Worldly Thinking Is To Divide And To Crush

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:31-32

Whereas In God's Plain The Woman's # 1 Cheerleader Is Her Husband

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Psalms 31:28

It's So Simple Even A Fourth Grader Can Figure It Out

Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD. Proverbs 18:22

I don't know the article, but perhaps the point was not "marriage" per se, but merely the advice to get married for the express purpose of financial support.  Marriage is not merely an economic maneuver. 

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,123 posts
I see all this a reasoning so far from God! Marriage is of Word thru Vow -we give it first to God for He
designed it to be so and then to each other knowing all along this
Matt 7:2
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and
with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
KJV

then infractions of personal unacceptability as irreconcilable difference makes
it alright to break that vow... If justification is of God (and it is self evident
truth that it is) then I think not!

It is meditative this desire we have of Him in keeping His Word to us... yet we ourselves do not
keep the same boundary in our own hope for us! So then we drag the institution down into
unrighteous mammon as a ploy to remedy that unrighteousness in temporary exist... how shall they
see as they are buried under infinite tons of darkness! The weight of sin is blindness...
Love, Steven

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

actually,  IMHO, many persons have refrained from marrying and just shacked because marriage would lose them govt benefits.

SandyU

SandyU
  • Members
  • 70 posts
I agree that divorce not marriage is the problem. But I think christians are so focused on divorce they don't see the real problem. We need to teach our children how to love like Jesus Christ. If married couples loved and cared for each other the way they should there would be less divorce and less abuse in marriages.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

I agree that divorce not marriage is the problem. But I think christians are so focused on divorce they don't see the real problem. We need to teach our children how to love like Jesus Christ. If married couples loved and cared for each other the way they should there would be less divorce and less abuse in marriages.

Good point, but my question is "How do you teach someone to love?"

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,123 posts
To have what is eternal love one must be born of God within... all else is fake! Love, Steven

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

That article appears to have really got it wrong  It is a fact that marriage is better for the economy.  Divorced and otherwise unwed mothers are more likely to live in poverty.

In fact, during 2004 - 2008 we spent more on unwed mothers than we did on the Iraq war.   Unwed mothers are 24% more likely to end up in poverty as opposed to only 1% of married mothers.

You are correct; they got it wrong.  Marriage isn't the problem.

I note your Reagan thing.  Surely he is preferable to what we are experiencing now.  But between Reagan & Bush I, 5 SCOTUS justices were appointed & 3 voted to allow to continue the baby-slaughter.  Reagan put a woman on the court who voted this allowance.  IMHO, astrologer R Reagan used Chr voters, but delivered little. He did not issue an exec order to consider babies in the womb persons in the Exec Branch. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network