christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Depression, Anxiety, Addictions and Hope

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

oak

oak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
The times are difficult. "...according [to] data just released by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) showing that at least half of all Americans
takes at least one prescription drug, with one in six taking three or more medications." (From, About.com by  Robert Longley). Suicide rates, along with alcohol
and drug related death are on the rise; and even if there is a decline in a year to year statistical survey, it's negligible. You can easily get this information by
surfing the web for statistical data.

I have an intimate knowledge of depression, anxiety and addictions (food can be an addiction too, by the by). And I have been in the role of both receiving and
giving help in regards to these disorders.  I saw people who have made great strides in terms of improving their condition or even beating their illness.  Time and
time again, I saw people who suffer from depression anxiety or addictions, embrace the concept of gratitude through faith in God or even family. In terms of 
being Christian, you need to practice faith - relying and giving yourself, as best as you can, to Christ specifically His healing power's.  First it may be an effort to
find  beauty and /or thankfulness in your day to day routines but ultimately, this means praising and thanking Christ, for your life, . Certainly a tall order for those
who are suffering and want to avoid feelings, living life and reality. It is even tougher when you are faced with problems outside yourself like being bullied,
humiliated, or suffering from an illness or condition that just came upon you - without any knowledge of why it happened. For most, it's a slow process, and the
last thing you want to do is expect  immediate results - this is not a microwavable concept. In the beginning practice kindness towards yourself, meaning don't take this as an opportunity to hate your efforts towards good.  In regards to gratitude and thanks, The Psalms should be read and they are a great protection in terms of spiritual warfare. In regards to faith, remember, "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ Rom 3:17 Also, "...so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith..." Eph 3:17. In fact read  Eph 3:14-20 for it is a prayer for spiritual strength. And we probably all know,  true faith can move "mountains." Mt. 17:20..." Keep in mind that faith is rooted in love. 1 Cor. 13:2

Lastly, I will share something I learned through observation and prayer. When I do battle in Christ against my afflictions, I go on a mind diet. That is there are some thoughts that I wont engage in and cut off. I realize that my thoughts exhaust me by making me relive resentments and battling the unfairness of the past. Oh, how much of my life I spent in self-destructive thoughts that turned me into a "salt pillar." Right now, when I get prompted to recall unfairness or regrets based on ego, I stop them because I'm not strong enough to handle them and they are worthless to my well being. " We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ..." 2 Cor. 4-5 And do everything you can to escape self-absorption, even posting or helping out in Worthy; remember, "the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick, the imprisoned. (Paraphrased from Mt. 25 34:39) "And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did to one of the least, of these my brothers, you did it to me." Mt 25 40.

Oak

PS We who suffer have learned the reverse of constant prayer.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network