christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bypassing an update on a puter

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Hey all, I need some help, any puter whizzes here?

I got this update thingy on my laptop and I cant get past it so to get on it because it never gets past updating (ever) now. Every time I turn it on (even after rebooting) it will say, "updating 1 of 6, so don't unplug or turn the power off" but I do because its never gotten past update number 1 anyways.

So, yeah, I turn it off, as I contemplate throwing it through the window.

But then I pause, and think my window is more expensive then the laptop so maybe that's not such a good idea.

The puter is still stuck on "for ever updating 1 of 6's" and never getting past 1.

I don't even know what the heck its updating anyway I have nothing to update on it. I mean I know it needs updates because its older and we haven't anything current on it, willing to let it die.

Is it dead yet? Or no? Can I still squeeze some life out of it? Anyone know?

How to get around that updating thing?

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Yeah could be, it doesn't have virus protection on it.

And I cant get past the blue updating 1 of 6 screen to search for or run anything on it anyway lol

I hate that feeling. Then I pressed every key possible on the keyboard and then a bunch of them (all at the same time) I cant budge the screen.

Im stuck.

But I can open the disk thingy on the side, so cant I just pop in another operating system disk in there and see how that goes? lol

Maybe something will work

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

after shutting it off try pressing F8 on bootup and see if you can get it to boot to safe mode.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
I dont have an f8 like I do on my other puter patriot.

I did end up hitting the on and off button something like 50 times then as luck would have it I was finally taken to a black screen and then after to where I could sign in

so I could sign in but could not connect online... so I did system restore but i still cant sign on lol

im stuck on this awful mobile device again.

I cant use this thing to communicate, its too small, I will get rid of that laptop, its been nothing but a problem anyway.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,928 posts

No function keys?  What is the make, model and operating system of this computer?

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

No function keys?  What is the make, model and operating system of this computer?

Its an older Inspiron N5010 OneLight

Its the laptop I use in the bedroom.

Now, after going to fetch it and bringing it out in a lit room I can see the F keys now, I couldnt see them at all just the pictures above each F key. They are written both too light and too small for me to see.

Im a person who buys those HUGE stick on letters for my keyboards because I cant see them too well either

I clicked all the keys.

Though last night it come back up, and I also got it to get back online by pulling the card out of the main computer in the living room. Its not showing the bars but doing some swirly thing there but I can get on for now.

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

My puter use to do that and it was very annoying. I finally found the program that automatically turned on to update the puter every other day or so and deleted that bugger. Problem was solved, not sure if you have the same problem on your puter, my puter and your puter are probably very different but that's putters for ya. Puter! Puter! K that was the last puter...

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

My puter use to do that and it was very annoying. I finally found the program that automatically turned on to update the puter every other day or so and deleted that bugger. Problem was solved, not sure if you have the same problem on your puter, my puter and your puter are probably very different but that's putters for ya. Puter! Puter! K that was the last puter...

Yeah, that might have spared me a little, I changed the updates to once a week, I have till Thursday before it will drive me crazy again rofl! The updates were daily (and getting stuck) and I couldn't change to NEVER (!!!) Because I didn't want them and its alright by me if it does a slow death (at this point) cause Im mad at it (lol).

So I need to order a new laptop to get here before Thursday I suppose, or be stuck with that annoying little mobile device.

Although, that come in handy I found the camera on that (motion picture type thing in the apps section) and so I was experimenting with filming my two new leaks in my roof (drip, drip, drip). I cant do play backs yet, but its in there somewhere. My husband could take pictures but he's been sick in bed. Its 4:39 PM and he isn't up out of bed yet.

His coffee is cold along with his breakfast, poor thing...

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Sorry to hear about your roof leak... The program I deleted was called "windows update". It was under programs in the control panel.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Sorry to hear about your roof leak... The program I deleted was called "windows update". It was under programs in the control panel.

Oh Cool! I gotta delete that in there, good to know!

Its been leaking since they put it on last year, whats another wet spot among so many?

Home depot and me know each others phone numbers by heart, we are on a first name basis now too lol

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Ok, if you find that program and want to delete it, make sure to not delete any other shared files with it, if there are shared files it will prompt you and ask "do you also want to delete this file" choose "no". It shouldn't ask that but just in case it does I wanted to let you know.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Okay dokey, Spicey one "no other stuff" just that annoying thing (Gotcha)

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

lol

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts

You can always open "Windows Update," click on "view update history," right click on the updates that failed to install and choose to "hide update." It is not very wise to not update Windows at all.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

You can always open "Windows Update," click on "view update history," right click on the updates that failed to install and choose to "hide update." It is not very wise to not update Windows at all.

Hey Parker, thanks, I tried to right click and hide but that option isnt being given to me when I do that though.

All this puter stuff is way over my head anyway, and if I cant figure it out simply I will throw my hands up in the air at it.

But  I wont even visit my email from this puter, let alone purchase anything from it or create docs or anything like that, so why would I need any updates for security measures? Like whats on here that I need to protect anyway? I just browse on it but I dont do anything (like bank, shop, mail or load) onto it.

I dont know whats worse "trying to figure out its problem" or burying it, and burying it just seems far easier

Sorta like sweet revenge against it,  because I am guilty of being more then a tad impatient toward this stuff.

If I cant stop it, or hide it I cannot get on it (to use it as a medium) so what good is some dumb security to me anyway? When the only thing it knows how to do is lock me out? know what I mean? lol

This stuff drives me crazy

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Parker1 is correct and I don't recommend to anyone to delete their windows update program unless it's the last thing you can think of to get rid of your headaches. Not that it will harm your computer but it's good to have an open option to update certain files at times. I deleted mine because like you FlameofFire, I was about to smash my computer lol.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

I hear ya, ready "to lose your cool",

right on the cuff stuff.

Man, I wish I had updates (for me) because I just caught whatever my husband, and I need to download some aspirin or something lol

coheir

coheir

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

right on the cuff stuff.

Man, I wish I had updates (for me) because I just caught whatever my husband, and I need to download some aspirin or something lol

I had my computer set to never update automatically so i could when and what to update. Some how it or some company out there changed that and it would pop up and say updating please do not unplug so I unplugged during update. My computer still was programed to never auto update and it kept updating right in the middle of what I was doing. I carried it to the doc and he fixed it but I lost ALL pictures I had put on it and All pictures I was sent in emails.

ps airborne 3 times a day and one whole lemon squeezed into glass of water twice a day you will be good as knew shortly

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,535 posts

right on the cuff stuff.

I had my computer set to never update automatically so i could when and what to update. Some how it or some company out there changed that and it would pop up and say updating please do not unplug so I unplugged during update. My computer still was programed to never auto update and it kept updating right in the middle of what I was doing. I carried it to the doc and he fixed it but I lost ALL pictures I had put on it and All pictures I was sent in emails.

ps airborne 3 times a day and one whole lemon squeezed into glass of water twice a day you will be good as knew shortly

stuff like that's what Carbonite is for......   three times in the past two years they have saved the 39,000+ photo's that I've taken over the years and some I've scanned from relatives that are from the 1800's   At $59 a year, what better investment can you make.

BTW the next time your computer tells you not to turn it off or unplug it...........   Pay attention to it.....  it has reasons to do that.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,535 posts

Hey Parker, thanks, I tried to right click and hide but that option isnt being given to me when I do that though.

All this puter stuff is way over my head anyway, and if I cant figure it out simply I will throw my hands up in the air at it.

But  I wont even visit my email from this puter, let alone purchase anything from it or create docs or anything like that, so why would I need any updates for security measures? Like whats on here that I need to protect anyway? I just browse on it but I dont do anything (like bank, shop, mail or load) onto it.

I dont know whats worse "trying to figure out its problem" or burying it, and burying it just seems far easier

Sorta like sweet revenge against it,  because I am guilty of being more then a tad impatient toward this stuff.

If I cant stop it, or hide it I cannot get on it (to use it as a medium) so what good is some dumb security to me anyway? When the only thing it knows how to do is lock me out? know what I mean? lol

This stuff drives me crazy

I don't know where you live and any legal ramifications wherever that may be, but I can testily that it is very very fulfilling to take those unfaithful computers that mess with you out to the country and just shoot them many many times.   Much better than just throwing them away

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network