christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Are the words atheism/mormonism/agnosticism/paganism simply labels?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

For example, you can't accuse a blind man for something he can't see. So is it still sin to God even though they're spiritually blind? Is unbelief a sin? Hey everyone. I'm trying to understand why these individuals are the way they are, why they hold to their beliefs. Is it something God implants in them, or is it just a word that man has given himself to cover sin? Christians say that their unbelief is a sin, so when they say that "sin" is just a religious word, can they still worship false gods?

I just don't understand because it's easy to pronounce unbelief in God. Anybody can do that, it's about as easy as turning on the television set. For example, a born again christian has had a physical and mental experience with the holy spirit. It was physical and mental. So does the beliefs of ATH/M/AGN/P also conclude physical and mental things that have happened in their lives? A mormon doesn't become a mormon unless the devil's (or cults) are involved so to speak, right? Back when I was a nonbeliever, I never gave myself a label to describe who I was. So forgive me, I might not understand what labels are for, maybe you can help me understand. 1. atheism 2. mormonism 3. agnosticism 4. paganism

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,501 posts

So forgive me, I might not understand what labels are for, maybe you can help me understand. 1. atheism 2. mormonism 3. agnosticism 4. paganism

~

Beloved Just Click On The Links

(Mormonism Is Polytheism On Steroids And Includes Satan Among It's "Good" gods)

Pagan

Agnostic Heathen Infidel Atheistic Idolatrous Impious Polytheistic Profane

http://thesaurus.com/browse/pagan

Education, It's So Often

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6

What Is Missing In Today's World

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

I do appreciate you putting up a thesaurus,  but that doesn't tell me why they are the way they are.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Hardened hearts.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,501 posts

Education, It's So Often

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6

What Is Missing In Today's World

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8

~

why they are the way they are....

~

The Common Denominator Between All Of Them

Of sin, because they believe not on me; John 16:9 (KJV)

Is Sin Against

"Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me. Luke 11:23 (NLT)

The WORD

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63

~

Hardened hearts.

:thumbsup:

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

Hardened hearts.

So would you agree these are man-made labels?

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

All humans, including Christians go through life with blinders on.  They cannot see, do not absorb what may be flying in the face of what they believe.  These blinders are learned and can be handed down to us by our families.   For Christians, it may be legalism for example.  Or minor doctrinal error supporting a really nonChristian worldview.  In the case of these other groups, I think it is in effect most markedly in false religions such as Mormonism.  How else than blinders can you explain their stubborn belief in Mormon doctrine, when genetics and archaeology demonstrate that it is false?  I don't know exactly a universal key to break through these blinders.  One method may be personal experience.  Perhaps another person whom they admire or hold in high esteem becomes convinced of error and they reconsider their beliefs.  Or other life changing experiences of which there are many.  Education is also a key method for breaking through these lenses.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,187 posts

For example, you can't accuse a blind man for something he can't see. So is it still sin to God even though they're spiritually blind? Is unbelief a sin? Hey everyone. I'm trying to understand why these individuals are the way they are, why they hold to their beliefs. Is it something God implants in them, or is it just a word that man has given himself to cover sin? Christians say that their unbelief is a sin, so when they say that "sin" is just a religious word, can they still worship false gods?

I just don't understand because it's easy to pronounce unbelief in God. Anybody can do that, it's about as easy as turning on the television set. For example, a born again christian has had a physical and mental experience with the holy spirit. It was physical and mental. So does the beliefs of ATH/M/AGN/P also conclude physical and mental things that have happened in their lives? A mormon doesn't become a mormon unless the devil's (or cults) are involved so to speak, right? Back when I was a nonbeliever, I never gave myself a label to describe who I was. So forgive me, I might not understand what labels are for, maybe you can help me understand. 1. atheism 2. mormonism 3. agnosticism 4. paganism

No, those are not merely labels.   Those are belief or nonbelief systems that have specific characteristics that are unique to each one.

An atheist is not a pagan, or a mormon or an agnostic.  an agnostic is not a pagan or a mormon. 

There are different varieties of unbelief. There people who believe in no deities, there are people who believe in God, but reject Jesus.  There people involved in cults and false religions who make up another variety of nonbeliever.

So they are not just labels.

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests
No, those are not merely labels.   Those are belief or nonbelief systems that have specific characteristics that are unique to each one.

An atheist is not a pagan, or a mormon or an agnostic.  an agnostic is not a pagan or a mormon. 

There are different varieties of unbelief. There people who believe in no deities, there are people who believe in God, but reject Jesus.  There people involved in cults and false religions who make up another variety of nonbeliever.

But what I'm trying to get at is that they're not just labels, they are man-made labels.

A label is just a name for their belief, but where the belief comes from is man-made if it's not christianity.

For example, it's easy to follow the devil.

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Hardened hearts.

So would you agree these are man-made labels?

Our faith in God is all about a relationship.  Christianity not a religion it is a day by day walk and as I said a relationship.  Religion is man attempt to reach up to God Christianity is God reaching down to us  through His Son Jesus.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Blessings DRS...

I really do not understand what you are searching for here,perhaps its just me but you said you want to know the "why's",I believe Bopeep gave a very good answer"hardened hearts" but I don't know that is what you are looking for & what do you mean by "man-made labels"....they are words that we use to define or describe beliefs???

And as far as the "born -again  believer"....this is a spiritual experience,I would not say it is mental & physical but rather the opposite of......

Perhaps your best answers may come from those that are atheists,mormons,pagans,agnostic?

God Bless You-Kwik

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

I'm not really sure I know what you mean either by labels.  I don't think I gave a very good answer.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,187 posts

But what I'm trying to get at is that they're not just labels, they are man-made labels.

A label is just a name for their belief, but where the belief comes from is man-made if it's not christianity.

For example, it's easy to follow the devil.

The labels indicate the nature of the belief or nonbelief system.   All labels are to an extent man-made.   But that doesn't make them untrue.   Buddhism is a label, Islam is a label.  Satanism is a label.   So what if they are manmade???   I really don't see the point.   There are different names for different ways of following the devil.  It really seems like you are making an issue out of a nonissue.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,880 posts
The OP has requested this thread to be closed.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network