christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Old Christian Questioning My Faith

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

TheOneTruth

TheOneTruth
  • 2 posts

Good day to all of you. This is my first post.

I have been a Christian for 29 years. I've read the Bible twice to three times a year for the entire duration of my faith, and in doing so, reading the Bible has started to cause me to question my own faith. I've largely avoided questioning specific scripture as I've felt that doing so is to question Jesus. As someone that has has attended church services in one form or another multiple times a week for nearly three decades, countless Bible studies, etc, some things are really beginning to eat at me and I'm having a severely troubling time in reconciling some things that I've noticed over the last few years. I was hoping that maybe some of you might be able to help reconcile some of these issues. This is the first time I've spoken of it to anyone.

I came upon this forum while trying to make sense of the chronology of the creation through the fall of Lucifer. Through a Google search, I found a thread which basically turned into an argument and was unable to land on a definitive answer. This also creates some questions I won't get too deep into.

Over the years as I've stated, I've read the Bible many times cover to cover. I've also taken part in countless Bible studies, followed along with scripture reading in church, used scripture in my own life to get through hard times. I've found that in church or in Bible studies, most scripture is ignored. A lot is left out. In church, my pastors have never spoken of particular passages, skimmed over a great many things, and always explain things in terms other than what the Bible has stated. One of the problems that has come up in my Bible reading is that I missed things here and there. It's difficult to pay attention to all of the little details when reading something so full. I thought that I'd really come to understand everything about it.

About five or six years ago, I noticed a few things in my reading that started to bother me. As I mentioned, my pastors used their own way of explaining everything they preach about in the Bible. In almost rehearsed fashion from almost every sermon I have ever attented, a scripture or two are read aloud followed by a statement akin to the following: "So, what __________ was saying here is that...." with an explanation of what the Pastor believes the person in the Bible was writing. During my reading I noticed a scripture that stuck out to me and really made me think about how the majority of church leaders establish certain meaning to scripture.

2 Peter 1:20

"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation of things."

If you must, read the entire chapter for context, but I assure you, I'm not taking this out of context in the slightest. When I read this scripture a few years ago, I immediately thought back to the multitude of times I'd heard, "Well, this is what the verse really means" in reference to various sermons. Verse 21 of 2 Peter 1 goes on to say "For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." I don't need to say, "In other words, what the scripture is saying is...." The scripture is straight forward, non-cryptic. It states that the Word of God, the scripture itself, is directly from God. It isn't an interpretation. Which leads me to ask the following:

Why have we been interpreting scripture for so long when the Bible clearly states that the Word is God's? If God wanted the scripture interpreted, this scripture would not exist. Perhaps the scripture would have read, "Find your own meaning in the Word of God." But it does not.

I began reading the Bible more closeley than ever after I noticed this.

A few months later, I had finished reading through the rest of the Bible from that point and started back over again. In reading Exodus, I found something else that was a bit troubling. Something I hadn't taken a great deal of consideration in prior to reading 2 Peter chapter 1.

In Exodus chapter 12, specifically verse 12, God talks about killing the firstborn of Egypt. However, He also says this:  "...I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord." This is something I'd read many times, and I figured it simply meant false idols. But, in reading multiple translations, I can't find any that show a reference to false idols. This is a direct statement from God that He will judge other gods. I've read explanations about this, but they don't line up with historical context about what Egyptians worshiped. Therefore, it leads me to have serious questions about why this verse exists as it does in the Bible.

In early 2010, I ran into another scripture that set me in motion to question things heavily.

I found it in Matthew, chapter 24. I felt at the time maybe I'd taken it out of context, so I read the chapter time and again. In this chapter, Jesus' disciples come to him and ask him to describe the end times. Jesus goes into some detail about them in the context of their lifetime.

Matthew 24:33-34

"33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that itis near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."

I emphasized "this generation" because it is important to remember that he was speaking to his disciples. Not to anyone else. When I read it, I had a small panic attack. I prayed over this for a long time. I looked through the rest of the Gospel to see if anything else had been mentioned on the matter in hopes I'd misread something. I checked the original Greek against current translations and found that it is accurate. Jesus said "this generation" and those are the words that were meant to be used.

Then I found other scriptures that say vitually the same thing.

Mark 9:1

“And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.”

Matthew 16:28

“Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.”

Matthew 10:23

“When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.”

Understand that I'm keeping 2 Peter 1 in mind while reading. According to the Word, God has spoken as He wants us to hear, not as we WANT to hear.

I have since purchased a new Bible. The four others I'd been using over the years were filled with highlights and notes for inspiration and thought. The Bible I have now is full of highlights and notes full of unanswered questions. One of those was one I mentioned earlier in reference to the chronology of Lucifer, which I've found no reference to in the Old Testament. What I found was an attachment to the term "morning star" which was a verse about the rulers of Babylon, and not Lucifer. Lucifer wasn't in the Garden of Eden. The scripture specifically states that the creature that tempted Eve was a serpent. Had this been otherwise, then the name "Lucifer" would have been specifically mentioned. I also found some other troubling words in the Old Testament about the prophecy of the Messiah. What I found was that Jesus did not match what the Old Testament said about the Messiah.

My pastors have always told us that Jesus' coming was a fulfilment of prophecy, but I noticed that they never quote scripture to back this up. I looked up a lot of information regarding this and asked why Jews don't believe in Jesus.

I was taught to believe in Jesus from early childhood. Since I can remember, I've always been a believer. I've never known any different. It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to answer these questions amongst an onslaught of questions I've been asked from people as I go door to door in my neighborhood witnessing to people. I can't even answer these questions anymore. In fact, it wasn't until just the past few years that I've noticed that people actually ask these kinds of questions. Usually, they were vague, and most of my answers could be given with a few verses. Two weeks ago, I rang a man's doorbell to invite him to my church. He told me that if I can explain why Gensis chapters 1 and 2 contradict each other that he'd come to my church. I didn't have an answer as I've never noticed anything strange about it before. He then said, and I'm paraphrasing as I can't remember the exact words, "If you don't fully understand your own beliefs, then why are you trying to get others to believe in the same garbage?" He then asked me to leave and he closed the door.

That really struck me.

I don't fully understand. After roughly 24 years, I thought I had a firm grasp on the Bible and my faith. Here I am nearing thirty years of service to God and I now feel like I'm back to square one, barely able to tie my own spiritual shoes to put things into perspecive. I've prayed for hours. Weeks. Months. Years. All for understanding, and I've had no response. I haven't asked any questoins in church, or any of my friends. We've had a couple of people ask questions in previous years and they were quietly asked to leave the church. In retrospect, I find it more unsettling now that I didn't see any problem with that in the past. Their questions should have been answered instead of being pushed away.

Unless my questions are answered, I don't know just how much more my faith can be tested before I just give up.

TheOneTruth

TheOneTruth
  • 2 posts

Sorry about the long post. I just saw how much I'd written.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts

Please don't post links.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts
My pastors have always told us that Jesus' coming was a fulfilment of prophecy, but I noticed that they never quote scripture to back this up. I looked up a lot of information regarding this and asked why Jews don't believe in Jesus.

Isaiah 53. What pastors are you talking about? 

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Welcome TheOneTruth, I can offer you Jer 33 v 3 to think and pray about.  And to keep on the look out, as the Lord can answer us in different ways, using anything and any situation.  God Bless you :)

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Hello and welcome to worthy...

we all can get side tracked its all about the perception. You will see opportunity when others see obstacles. Look at your life through the lens of how blessed you are.

If I could help you here just imagine good things don't feed off the bad things that you see or feel. God corrects us in a way with positive words but never makes us feel bad about ourselves, does that make sense? Just start being thankful, maybe things will start to open up for you.

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts

Welcome to Worthy! Re Lucifer - he is referred to as " son of the morning" only Jesus is the Morning Star.

I think when we read the Bible we have to ask God to open our hearts and minds to the understanding of His Holy Word. You do not listen to man and man's understanding but listen to the interpretation that God gives you.

alien224

alien224

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Welcome....and praying

Shiveria

Shiveria
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Welcome

walkonwater

walkonwater
  • Members
  • 62 posts

"We" are a new generation in Christ till He comes for us. Look up the word regeneration, we are made new through Jesus, we have a new life in Him alone & the renewing of the Holy Spirit within us in our lives, our spirit. We in Christ will never taste of death, Jesus said that He is the way and the truth and the "life." How much death is in life? There is none, we only have life in Jesus, our bodies don't sustain our life, Jesus does. (Yes there is a death we do die to but its not of body its of self, i can show you this sometime if you'd like). Definition of taste means to "partake of" we do this with the Lords supper, (which represents the Lords sacrifice for our lives right now and forever in Him) we partake of Him(Jesus). Those that refused the Lord, if they refuse life, then what else is there? No life? Jesus didn't refuse them, they refused Jesus. :( Can you imagine refusing life? Its a free gift from the Lord, not something that we have to earn but given freely and to reject Him is rejecting life. I have questioned also about the serpent, we know serpents don't talk, so why would Eve speak to a large snake? Rev. 12:9 - And the great dragon was cast out, (out of heaven) that "OLD SERPENT," called the Devil, and Satan, which deceived the whole world :( he (satan) was cast out into the earth, and "his angels" (demons) were cast out with him. There in revelations it does speak of "satan being that serpent", just as satan had entered into Judas Iscariot to use him, he had to have entered into that serpent, there is no full detail in that (as far as I know yet, but I don't know maybe the Lord will show me more pertaining to this or someone else) and how does one explain what is supernatural in a natural way? Its something only God can reveal to you if you are spiritually mature in Him. For myself, I just want to know Jesus, My Lord, My God & Saviour of my all, as He taught His disciples, if He taught them of heavenly things then Jesus can also teach me, thats what makes Him the Master not men, i don't mean this in a derogatory way, so sorry if i come off in this manner. There is definitely great spiritual blindness in this world, but I am not going to look down here anymore but up to Him above all of it. Jesus is my focus and I have not chose wrong :D I don't need another way because Jesus says He is the way, I don't need another truth because Jesus is the truth, I don't need to question life because my all is sustained in Jesus and Jesus alone by His gift of life through His life to "Wholly & Holy" cover me completely in Him. Hallelujah!!!  I thank our Heavenly Father for giving us our Saviour Jesus & for Jesus giving us back to our Heavenly Father by His precious Blood our "Life" in "Him." I hope I was a help to you and watever I didn't answer to your questions can you please let me know so maybe i can be of help, theres just so much there its hard to focus on all of it for me, LOL. All that I shared with you it is more detailed than I could put here, I would have loved to do that but I might have just kept on writing and never stopped. :D:D:D Your sister in Christ. Dena.

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

A Worthy welcome to you!  I am praying for you, too.  I only wish I could give you the answers you seek, but that will have to come from God.  I did do a little research and prayed that God would help me give you a good answer, so all I have to offer is this;

I receive the devotions from Worthy in a brief that comes to my e-mail each day.  You can find these in the ministry category at the top of the page.  Many times, it is as if God is speaking directly to me and it is awesome!  Today's message was on Elijah and I urge you to read it.  The account is in 1 Kings 19 and it's not that this will answer the questions you have, but it helped me to remember the, "Still small voice ...."  the voice that speaks to us when we still ourselves to listen to Him.

I get too involved, study too much; if that is possible, but the more overcome I get, the more questions I have, the harder this walk becomes.  It is so nice to remember what Jesus said, "Come unto Me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest ..."  I have to purposely stop, stop asking so many questions, stop seeking for answers, and still myself so I can listen.  I fall into Jesus and just let Him comfort me.  I lean on trusting in Him and nothing more.  That is what this walk is all about, faith and trust.  You know what the Scriptures say about faith, right?  Without faith it is impossible to please God and I believe that is what He wants from us, total faith and trust.

Listening to people who question our faith and believe differently than what the Bible says may not be a good thing either.  The man you invited to church laid the blame on you, but you might try telling him that you do not have the answers, but Jesus definitely does!  He can wait until you find the answers you are looking for, or he can just come and meet Jesus.  It is all about Him, anyway, and when anyone looks to mere man for an answer they will be sadly disappointed.  Man will always fail us, but Jesus never will!  Amen!

The other Scriptures God brought to mind today are those about the little children.  I will put them at the bottom of my response.  I often think about my own children and the relationship we have when I am thinking about my Christian walk.  Now that I am older and they are all grown, I know a few things I only wished I had realized sooner.  First, that I love them unconditionally.  It has nothing to do with their ability to do right and please me.  When they did mess up, do wrong, or disobey, I was not pleased, but it did not affect the way I love them.  I understand now that God loves me unconditionally, and it has nothing to do with my performance.  He loves me just the way I am, warts and all.  Praise God!  I am so glad it isn't up to me.  I am so glad it is not based on how good I can be.  We know that if we could be "good enough" then Jesus would not have died for our sins, but the truth of the matter is we all need a Savior, no one can make it on his own.

Another thing I learned from my little children was their absolute trust and faith in me.  They came to me when they had questions and my answers were sufficient.  They came to me when they were scared, and my comfort was enough to calm every fear.  I did not have to go into too much detail.  What I said, they accepted as truth and they were satisfied.  They believed every word out of my mouth!  Now that did change, of coarse, as they grew they began to have their own thoughts and opinions.  When they were able to think on their own, they began to question almost everything I said.  Just like us!  Just like life!

Instead of being like a little child, we begin to think on our own, have questions and doubt.  But, Jesus said it is the faith of a child that He wants from us.

I pray you will find comfort and understanding in my words and that you will know you are among friends who only want the best for you.  You are with family!   We all will be praying for you, that you will be comforted and your doubts erased.  Keep praying ..... keep trusting .... and know this,

God loves you so very, very much!  So do I!

Yours in the love of Jesus Christ,

PrairWarur

Matthew 18:3

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

and said, “Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mark 10:15

15 Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.”

Luke 18:17

17 Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.”

1 Peter 2:2

like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
Truth, I applaud your devotion to studying the Scriptures and your willingness to ask tough questions. I have stumbled across some of these passages too, but admit I simply do not know and take an "agnostic" stance on toughies. Like the Problem of Evil for another general example. The Bible gives many answers to this, but it leaves me still wondering. I remember a professor of religion in college telling us not to be afraid of doubt, for it means you may be on your way to a solution. I do not think you will be able to leave the Faith completely as I have often tried. Christ will not relinquish His hold in you. He is always there and all pervasive, which is how it should be.

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
An old friend once asked me if I ever doubt my faith. I replied that all I have to do is look at how much my own life has changed, as well a that of my husband. Only God can do such a thing. No church, no psychiatrist or meds. God has made us new people in Him..

A few answers, perhaps. The Egyptians worshipped the Nile, so it was turned to blood. They worshipped frogs so they were given a plague of them as well as locusts. They worshipped the pharoah so his first born was killed. The list goes on but those I remember. Oh yah, they worshipped cattle, too. You can google 115 egyptian gods.

First they asked when the destruction of the Temple would take place,, Then they asked about the sign of His coming, and then about the end of the age.
This generation may refer to their seeing His kingdom being established in us by the Holy Spirit and the beginning of His church in Acts, which also ushered in the age of grace and God's mercy extended to the gentiles. Or it may be referring to their seeing the destruction of Jeruselem and the massacre there.
After the the fullness of the gentiles has come in and the Gospel has been preached to all nations, Jesus will come back as Israels' deliverer and earthly King and fulfill all other prophecies concerning His reign over Israel. As I understand. That might be counting from 1967 when the whole nation became theirs including Jeruselem; the way I understand that passage, that the nations are now being alligned against Israel to start the Ezekiel 38 war, which might be the time of sorrows leading up to the trib or might be the first of the last week of Daniel when the antichrist enters the temple and sets himself up as god, demanding to be worshiped and starting the last week of Daniel sequence of wars. This is clearly all debatable. We don't understand prophecy well because it skips around a lot and is not carefully laid out chronologicly the way our western minds think.
Isaiah 53 is one of the greatest Messianic passages discribing Him as the Suffering Servent. I missed our prophecy update in which our pastor uses recent new clippings to show exact fullfillment of old testament prophecy occurring today. He holds one each year.

The Kingdom of God may be several things. When He becomes King and Lord in our own hearts He has set up His Kingdom. But I also believe He will set up His earthly kingdom in the future and rule with a rod of iron.

Your Bible version seems rather loosly interpreted as well. You might try NKJV or NASV which stay closer to the original languages.
Sorry, my thinking is fuzzy tonight due to a second long day in the dentist's chair and another root canal needed monday. The nerves are hiding and I need microsurgery.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,534 posts

Welcome~!

~

I have been a Christian for 29 years. I've read the Bible twice to three times a year for the entire duration of my faith, and in doing so, reading the Bible has started to cause me to question my own faith.

~

Beloved, The Bible Says Otherwise

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

And You Might Want To Wait Until You Have Five Posts

The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3:25-26

Before You Start Posting That Juvenile Mockery, The Skeptics Annotated Bible

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

Posting Hopefully Only One Ignorant Blaspheme At A Time

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63

And The Folks At Worthy Will Help Any

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 1 Corinthians 2:12

Who Seriously Would Grow Up 

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

And Learn Truth

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

~

Believe

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

And Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe

Spock

Spock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
Wow, I'm exhausted after reading your OP. I now know how you feel.

This I know- God has given us the Holy Spirit to illuminate and inspire us, especially when in need. Sometimes you have to back off from earthly pursuits and just trust God to reveal his truth to you when he sees fit.

But don't forget, gods ways are not mans ways. We can't possibly comprehend the breath of these words. After you rest a while, Reread the book of job again. There was a reason why that book was the first written.

Thanks for sharing. You are not alone in your struggles to make sense of everything. Some day we will have all knowledge. Today is not that day.

Spock out

Dwark

Dwark
  • Members *
  • 53 posts

….

Unless my questions are answered, I don't know just how much more my faith can be tested before I just give up.

What do you mean?  If you just "give up", does that mean that you don't believe that God exists?  What then?  You believe that Mud turned into man-evolution then?

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Good day to all of you. This is my first post.

I have been a Christian for 29 years. I've read the Bible twice to three times a year for the entire duration of my faith, and in doing so, reading the Bible has started to cause me to question my own faith. I've largely avoided questioning specific scripture as I've felt that doing so is to question Jesus. As someone that has has attended church services in one form or another multiple times a week for nearly three decades, countless Bible studies, etc, some things are really beginning to eat at me and I'm having a severely troubling time in reconciling some things that I've noticed over the last few years. I was hoping that maybe some of you might be able to help reconcile some of these issues. This is the first time I've spoken of it to anyone.

I came upon this forum while trying to make sense of the chronology of the creation through the fall of Lucifer. Through a Google search, I found a thread which basically turned into an argument and was unable to land on a definitive answer. This also creates some questions I won't get too deep into.

Over the years as I've stated, I've read the Bible many times cover to cover. I've also taken part in countless Bible studies, followed along with scripture reading in church, used scripture in my own life to get through hard times. I've found that in church or in Bible studies, most scripture is ignored. A lot is left out. In church, my pastors have never spoken of particular passages, skimmed over a great many things, and always explain things in terms other than what the Bible has stated. One of the problems that has come up in my Bible reading is that I missed things here and there. It's difficult to pay attention to all of the little details when reading something so full. I thought that I'd really come to understand everything about it.

About five or six years ago, I noticed a few things in my reading that started to bother me. As I mentioned, my pastors used their own way of explaining everything they preach about in the Bible. In almost rehearsed fashion from almost every sermon I have ever attented, a scripture or two are read aloud followed by a statement akin to the following: "So, what __________ was saying here is that...." with an explanation of what the Pastor believes the person in the Bible was writing. During my reading I noticed a scripture that stuck out to me and really made me think about how the majority of church leaders establish certain meaning to scripture.

2 Peter 1:20

"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation of things."

If you must, read the entire chapter for context, but I assure you, I'm not taking this out of context in the slightest. When I read this scripture a few years ago, I immediately thought back to the multitude of times I'd heard, "Well, this is what the verse really means" in reference to various sermons. Verse 21 of 2 Peter 1 goes on to say "For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." I don't need to say, "In other words, what the scripture is saying is...." The scripture is straight forward, non-cryptic. It states that the Word of God, the scripture itself, is directly from God. It isn't an interpretation. Which leads me to ask the following:

Why have we been interpreting scripture for so long when the Bible clearly states that the Word is God's? If God wanted the scripture interpreted, this scripture would not exist. Perhaps the scripture would have read, "Find your own meaning in the Word of God." But it does not.

I began reading the Bible more closeley than ever after I noticed this.

A few months later, I had finished reading through the rest of the Bible from that point and started back over again. In reading Exodus, I found something else that was a bit troubling. Something I hadn't taken a great deal of consideration in prior to reading 2 Peter chapter 1.

In Exodus chapter 12, specifically verse 12, God talks about killing the firstborn of Egypt. However, He also says this:  "...I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord." This is something I'd read many times, and I figured it simply meant false idols. But, in reading multiple translations, I can't find any that show a reference to false idols. This is a direct statement from God that He will judge other gods. I've read explanations about this, but they don't line up with historical context about what Egyptians worshiped. Therefore, it leads me to have serious questions about why this verse exists as it does in the Bible.

In early 2010, I ran into another scripture that set me in motion to question things heavily.

I found it in Matthew, chapter 24. I felt at the time maybe I'd taken it out of context, so I read the chapter time and again. In this chapter, Jesus' disciples come to him and ask him to describe the end times. Jesus goes into some detail about them in the context of their lifetime.

Matthew 24:33-34

"33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that itis near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."

I emphasized "this generation" because it is important to remember that he was speaking to his disciples. Not to anyone else. When I read it, I had a small panic attack. I prayed over this for a long time. I looked through the rest of the Gospel to see if anything else had been mentioned on the matter in hopes I'd misread something. I checked the original Greek against current translations and found that it is accurate. Jesus said "this generation" and those are the words that were meant to be used.

Then I found other scriptures that say vitually the same thing.

Mark 9:1

“And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.”

Matthew 16:28

“Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.”

Matthew 10:23

“When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.”

Understand that I'm keeping 2 Peter 1 in mind while reading. According to the Word, God has spoken as He wants us to hear, not as we WANT to hear.

I have since purchased a new Bible. The four others I'd been using over the years were filled with highlights and notes for inspiration and thought. The Bible I have now is full of highlights and notes full of unanswered questions. One of those was one I mentioned earlier in reference to the chronology of Lucifer, which I've found no reference to in the Old Testament. What I found was an attachment to the term "morning star" which was a verse about the rulers of Babylon, and not Lucifer. Lucifer wasn't in the Garden of Eden. The scripture specifically states that the creature that tempted Eve was a serpent. Had this been otherwise, then the name "Lucifer" would have been specifically mentioned. I also found some other troubling words in the Old Testament about the prophecy of the Messiah. What I found was that Jesus did not match what the Old Testament said about the Messiah.

I was taught to believe in Jesus from early childhood. Since I can remember, I've always been a believer. I've never known any different. It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to answer these questions amongst an onslaught of questions I've been asked from people as I go door to door in my neighborhood witnessing to people. I can't even answer these questions anymore. In fact, it wasn't until just the past few years that I've noticed that people actually ask these kinds of questions. Usually, they were vague, and most of my answers could be given with a few verses. Two weeks ago, I rang a man's doorbell to invite him to my church. He told me that if I can explain why Gensis chapters 1 and 2 contradict each other that he'd come to my church. I didn't have an answer as I've never noticed anything strange about it before. He then said, and I'm paraphrasing as I can't remember the exact words, "If you don't fully understand your own beliefs, then why are you trying to get others to believe in the same garbage?" He then asked me to leave and he closed the door.

That really struck me.

I don't fully understand. After roughly 24 years, I thought I had a firm grasp on the Bible and my faith. Here I am nearing thirty years of service to God and I now feel like I'm back to square one, barely able to tie my own spiritual shoes to put things into perspecive. I've prayed for hours. Weeks. Months. Years. All for understanding, and I've had no response. I haven't asked any questoins in church, or any of my friends. We've had a couple of people ask questions in previous years and they were quietly asked to leave the church. In retrospect, I find it more unsettling now that I didn't see any problem with that in the past. Their questions should have been answered instead of being pushed away.

Welcome

You can't go wrong by this:

Romans 10:17

17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.  

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts

Closed for review, after this post the member has not been back to engage.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network