christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Plea for Understanding

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

Shaney777

Shaney777
  • Seeker
  • 9 posts

This is my first post here, and I am just going to throw my main objection to Christianity out there. This is really a call for understanding, though.

If there really is a "truth" to reality, how is man supposed to sort through the plethora of religious/philosophical information, find the reliable stuff, and develop a worldview that has no serious objections? History's brightest disagree on why humans are here. How can this not mean that we'll never know the truth? How does it not mean that there isn't a truth?

If the same Holy Spirit instructs believers on the true meanings of scripture, why are there so many sincere Christians with different interpretations of how to gain salvation (the most important thing that could possibly be known)?

Thank you for your time, 
Shane

RustyAngeL

RustyAngeL

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

This is my first post here, and I am just going to throw my main objection to Christianity out there. This is really a call for understanding, though.

If there really is a "truth" to reality, how is man supposed to sort through the plethora of religious/philosophical information, find the reliable stuff, and develop a worldview that has no serious objections? History's brightest disagree on why humans are here. How can this not mean that we'll never know the truth? How does it not mean that there isn't a truth?

If the same Holy Spirit instructs believers on the true meanings of scripture, why are there so many sincere Christians with different interpretations of how to gain salvation (the most important thing that could possibly be known)?

Thank you for your time, 
Shane

There is only one way to salvation and that is through the Lord Jesus Christ.   He died on the cross to save us from our sins, there is no other way.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,911 posts

....my main objection to Christianity....

....how is man supposed to sort through the plethora of religious/philosophical information, find the reliable stuff, and develop a worldview that has no serious objections....

....If the same Holy Spirit instructs believers on the true meanings of scripture, why are there so many sincere Christians with different interpretations of how to gain salvation....

~

Simple

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

Read Your Bible And Pray

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

A Worthy welcome to you!  If you will ask Jesus for yourself, not listen to so many other voices, just wait on His "still small voice", then you will find the answers to what you seek.  IMHO

I think there are so many different religions because there are so many different people.  Some listen to the Word of God and follow, and some make up the rules for themselves, the "truth" that they want to hear.

The best thing to do is what was mentioned in another response, just pray and read your Bible each day.  I am praying for you, too.  

The one thing I do know is that He did not die for nothing!  "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life...."  Jesus Christ

Peace to you and God bless you much,

PrairWarur

John 14:6

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

RustyAngeL

RustyAngeL

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

The advice you got about just being still and hearing that still small voice is just what you should do.

Jesus "I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father except through Me.

The Bible tells us we are to walk by faith and not by sight.  Walk knowing that the Father will never let you go and that He loves you with an unconditional love.  Bask in that love instead of trying to figure everything out.  I heard faith as this

"Walk to the edge of all the light you can see and then take one more step."  I love that because that is what faith it, taking that one more step, knowing that it's going to be OK because God has already been there and He knows the ground is solid on the other side.

NeedYouLord

NeedYouLord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Much love to you, Shane...

Having been on both sides of the fence...for a long long time ...Without Hope on the one side; almost dying a real death without Him (God) in my life...and With Hope on the other; coming To Know The One True God and The Christ Whom He sent (John 17:3), Well...it's just that my desire now is for Life and not death...And that Life Is In Him...so I will make time to Read (The Loving and Living Word, Whew) and Pray (Which is the only way to communicate with Him)...to gather together with others that believe...and hear The Word preached...and so as a result I have been led and guided into All Truth...and for thousands and thousands and millions to believe the same thing I do and we all live in different parts all over the whole world...Ummm...Something good is going on...and He is bigger than all of us...(I tried being my own god...didn't work out so well)

And as far as I know there is only one way to the Father and that is through Jesus Christ...John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

We are all in different places on the journey...His Word (The Bible) describes all of it...Every answer is in there somewhere...and so some of us have come to the place of Loving God and Our Neighbor as ourself...to the very best of our ability...

Romans 10:8-11 is amazing...As is all of God's Word...[8] But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): [9] that if you  confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. [10] For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. [11] For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."

I didn't know I needed saving...but when I finally knew it...He was there...The Goodness of God leads us to repentance...Romans 2:4

Much love and I pray you find The Way, The Truth and The Life...He is Amazing!!!

alien224

alien224

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
Welcome to worthy! There is only one way to salvation and that is through Jesus Christ. God made us all different. There are different belief systems held by all people; however the Christian fath should have roughly the same Christian values. In the body of Christ there many denominations and that is because God created us all different. There are slight differences in belief within denominations.But most all true Christians hold the same core values.

I suggest you read your bible and pray that God would give you understanding and point you in thedirection you should go.In the meantime I hope you enjoy your time at worthy and maybe even find new friends here.

manikumarr

manikumarr
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Please read the bible and understand it and am sure god will give you the wisdom.

Reason2014

Reason2014
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Hi Shaney! I understand you are wondering why this God over all other gods? 

I suggest that you ask God himself to show you the truth. If you are sincere in your pursuit of truth, if you are open to the idea that God exists as described in the bible, if you can cast aside your doubt and willing to believe in truth--whatever it is--and PRAY to God, I am sure He will show you Himself. Our God loves us but we must open up ourselves to Him. He is a gentleman. 

Not all believers are led by Holy Spirit. Many people profess to be Christians yet dont read Bible or attend church regularly, or even follow the 10 commandments. But the Scripture is Word of God, and it says Jesus is the only way, and you must repent of your sins once and for all. When people step outside the Scripture, they are prone to error.

Omega_Woman

Omega_Woman
  • Banned
  • 8 posts
Hi Shaney. You just got to open up your heart and let the Holy Spirit do the rest. It is a force that you cannot possibly resist.

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

blessings to you and welcome to worthy.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Blessings Shane

God bless you & welcome to Worthy! Sincere Christians may have different interpretations of many things EXCEPT how Salvation is obtained..................there is only One Way,the Truth & the Life.......He is Christ Jesus

I know this has been said again & again but that is what we all will say because He is the Only Way....

You said this will call for understanding,we are willing to listen & do our very best to understand.......has your main objection to Christianity been resolved or would you lie to talk more about it,feel free....

You know Shane,correct me if I am wrong but it would seem that you must have spoken to alot of people that profess to be Christians to have come to that conclusion or perhaps you attended church or something?Well,one thing is for sure,,,,,you have not come to Worthy by any coincidence or accident & I give God the Glory.,glad you are here......may I ask what it is you are hoping to find here?

With love,in Christ-Kwik

redroses42

redroses42

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

welcome to worthy,i hope you will find what you are looking for

Spock

Spock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

This is my first post here, and I am just going to throw my main objection to Christianity out there. This is really a call for understanding, though.[/size]If there really is a "truth" to reality, how is man supposed to sort through the plethora of religious/philosophical information, find the reliable stuff, and develop a worldview that has no serious objections? History's brightest disagree on why humans are here. How can this not mean that we'll never know the truth? How does it not mean that there isn't a truth?[/size]If the same Holy Spirit instructs believers on the true meanings of scripture, why are there so many sincere Christians with different interpretations of how to gain salvation (the most important thing that could possibly be known)?[/size]Thank you for your time, [/size]Shane[/size]

I would start by examining the one question first- who is Jesus Christ?

You see, no other religious leader compares on many levels- his words, his miracles, his purpose, his geneology, his death, and of course his resurrection and ascension.

When you are convinced on who he is and ask him into your life, then you get the Holy Spirit to help guide you.

Then when you read gods word, the bible, the spirit will bring illumination if you ask for such.

That's it in a nutshell. Sometimes people like the readers digest version. I hope you do too.

Spock out

SandyU

SandyU
  • Members
  • 70 posts
God loves you and sent his son to die in your place. Accept Jesus to be saved. I would recommend reading the book of John. Pray first for God to open your eyes. God bless you

Shaney777

Shaney777
  • Seeker
  • 9 posts
Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to see so many kind responses! I'd like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to communicate with me. This seems like a very genuine, warm community of believers. Please don't be hurt that I didn't follow up with you all in an individual way; I am truly grateful for the comments, but I usually respond with one large message that addresses everyone together.

Like so many of you, my father has also recommended that I go to God with my questions. I guess I feel that my mind has the ability to delude me into believing anything that I constantly and actively ponder. If something non-coincidental -- supernatural -- occurs, I will simply regard it as just another coincidence. It will be another result of my brain's tendency to believe things that I continually contemplate. Does that make any sense?

I was extremely happy and fulfilled in the past as a Christian, but I can no longer believe my childhood faith. My thinking now is due to a diverse culmination of philosophical and religious texts from around the world. I now have no hope. What followed from my decision to become agnostic is best described as chronic depression. The only meaning to life for me is the knowledge that I have the ability and means to help other humans that are in distress (an empathetic moral compass).

I posted this same question on many different web forums with the hope that someone can lead me to an understanding. Wouldn't the search for truth in the words of others be a way of "seeking" God?

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,087 posts

Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to see so many kind responses! I'd like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to communicate with me. This seems like a very genuine, warm community of believers. Please don't be hurt that I didn't follow up with you all in an individual way; I am truly grateful for the comments, but I usually respond with one large message that addresses everyone together.

Like so many of you, my father has also recommended that I go to God with my questions. I guess I feel that my mind has the ability to delude me into believing anything that I constantly and actively ponder. If something non-coincidental -- supernatural -- occurs, I will simply regard it as just another coincidence. It will be another result of my brain's tendency to believe things that I continually contemplate. Does that make any sense?

I was extremely happy and fulfilled in the past as a Christian, but I can no longer believe my childhood faith. My thinking now is due to a diverse culmination of philosophical and religious texts from around the world. I now have no hope. What followed from my decision to become agnostic is best described as chronic depression. The only meaning to life for me is the knowledge that I have the ability and means to help other humans that are in distress (an empathetic moral compass).

I posted this same question on many different web forums with the hope that someone can lead me to an understanding. Wouldn't the search for truth in the words of others be a way of "seeking" God?

If you're a seeker who feels the need to examine the truth and are worried about conflicting information them I suggest that you take a logical approach that I did.

I didn't find God through faith, I found him through examination and an analysis of facts. The faith came later, but being a 'doubting Thomas' I needed a little bit of proof to set me on my way.

Ask yourself these questions:

1/ Why did Christianity spread so fast and become the World's largest and most Globally covered religion? If you think about it, there is no reason why so many people of different backgrounds and faiths would adopt Christianity as the truth, especially if they already had gods of their own to believe in.

2/ Why have so many Biblical prophecies come true? Even archeologists who are non-believers can confirm that historical Biblical evidence is true.

3/ Why has such an insignificantly small population of people (the Jews) had such a significant and important impact on World history. and are still significant today? If you think about it, Jerusalem is not much at all as far as World cities go. It's hardly New York, London or Paris and yet it is the most fought over piece of real estate in the World.

Israel and the Middle East dominate world headlines, yet if you think about it, to all intents and purposes they should be no more notorious than any other tiny banana republic.

4/ Why have the Jews throughout history been the most persecuted people on the Planet, yet they are the only Ancient peoples with the same name and customs that are around today?

They now have their homeland once more, just as the Bible predicted and despite all efforts to destroy Israel, she still survives. Did you know that Israel could never have survived the 1967 Six-Day war? It was a logistical and strategic impossibility, yet not only did she survive, she soundly defeated her enemies. Is this not proof of her having God's protection?

These are just four questions to be going on with. There are more that you can ask yourself.

HawaiianShirts

HawaiianShirts
  • Members
  • 8 posts

I see that many others have posted their conviction in God and in Jesus Christ as the one and only way to God. I agree with them completely and would repeat their recommendation to read the Bible and to pray. However, I would also like to try to answer your question (as I understand it) that I quoted above.

God is perfect. I don't know a Christian who would disagree with that statement.

Humans are imperfect. I don't know anybody who would disagree with that.

Therein, I think, lies the reason that there are so many different Christian denominations with slightly different beliefs and interpretations.

You have imperfect people trying to understand a perfect God. Moses wasn't perfect--he stuttered or had trouble with public speaking and required help from Aaron--but God called him as a prophet anyway. Peter wasn't perfect--though he swore he wouldn't, he denied knowing Jesus three times in order to keep himself out of trouble--but Jesus called him as an apostle anyway. They, and others like them, received revelation from God and announced it to mankind, in person to some and through scripture to many others. But the language was imperfect (it was confounded by God at the time of the tower of Babel as a kind of punishment for thinking we could make our own way to heaven). And then, even more imperfect people translated and transcribed and translated and transcribed those same scriptures.

Does the Bible contain the word of God? YES! It contains the word of our perfect God, as it was relayed by imperfect people, in an imperfect language, and as it was imperfectly translated and transcribed by many more imperfect people. And, as divinely inspired as all those people may be, because we--the hearers of the word--are also imperfect, there is bound to be some differences in our interpretation of it.

But here's the important part: If all those imperfections and different interpretations still lead us to the same conclusion--that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the only hope of our salvation--then it has to be true.

Read, ponder, and pray, and listen for that quiet voice of peace that comes from the Holy Spirit. If you seek the truth, and if you ask God to help you, you'll find it.

RustyAngeL

RustyAngeL

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

Thank you for your time, 
Shane

There is only one way to salvation and that is through the Lord Jesus Christ.   He died on the cross to save us from our sins, there is no other way.

Amen  Jesus said: "I am the way the truth and the life no man comes to the Father but through Me"  there is on other way but Jesus.  Just trust Him and I promise you He will not let you down.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Blessings Shane

Yes ,yes it is Seeking God.....and just as you admit and believe ,I am here (as I am sure many of my brothers & sisters will agree)to tell you that it is no mere coincident the you are here at Worthy....it is not by chance but by divine intervention of a loving God that does all things for our good and to bring Him Glory,according to the Power that works in us,

We are not here to try to convince you to be persuaded to think & believe as we do but to be used by God to share with you the joy of our Salvation & if the Holy Spirit convicts your heart & directs you to the foot of the cross by desire to discover what we have discovered as we came to know Jesus Christ,then we will celebrate with you in that joy.....if not, then we will pray that our Lord will continue to draw you near and we will all be here to do the best we can to answer your questions & point the way to the One that can give you ALL Wisdom & Understanding in Gods Timeless Truths found in His Written Word.....Praise & Glory to God

It is true,this (as you have found)is a genuine & very warm community of believers and that is because we are all united by the Faith in the knowledge of our Lord & Savior,Christ Jesus.......we are His Radiant Bride,His church His Body and He is our Head.......you will find we are of one accord & agreement here ,Oh we may quibble like siblings often do when it comes to this interpretation & that interpretation of things we cannot really know at this time,the Great Mysteries of God.....just because we are of many backgrounds & denominations but never do we not share the like mind & judgement of Salvation.....which is by Gods Grace alone through our Faith in Who Jesus is,the Only begotten Son of God Who rose from the dead on the third day ,who we have all surrendered to Lord over our lives and Who is our Savior,our Redeemer Lives! In this,we are One.......

God Bless You Shane.........Praise Jesus!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network