Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nebula

Peace doves released by pope attacked by predatory birds

43 posts in this topic

Angry birds attack peace doves released by Pope Francis

January 27, 2014 - 8:46AM

Two white doves that were released by children standing alongside Pope Francis as a peace gesture have been attacked by other birds.

As tens of thousands of people watched in St. Peter's Square on Sunday, a seagull and a large black crow swept down on the doves right after they were set free from an open window of the Apostolic Palace.

Read more

Well,that is not a good thing.A premonition?

hilarious, is what it is. to bad it wasnt a bald eagle lol.

Why is it hilarious?

Why is it hilarious?

lol I see you don't have much appreciation for irony. We live in a world at war, always have. The catholic church, has even been at the heart of many of these wars. and they release "doves" as a sign of peace, only to have them taken down by warlike birds. its ironic. And I enjoy irony. 

It's also ironic because so many in our society think that spreading good vibes of peace will make everything better, symbolized by the releasing of the doves. Reality however is that there are those who seek to destroy and no amount of good will can stop them.

WW 2 should have taught people that. But you know what they say about those that don't learn from history.

The pope recently called Islam a religion of peace. He launches his doves and they get savaged by the predators. That's appeasement for you.

Why is it hilarious?

lol I see you don't have much appreciation for irony. We live in a world at war, always have. The catholic church, has even been at the heart of many of these wars. and they release "doves" as a sign of peace, only to have them taken down by warlike birds. its ironic. And I enjoy irony. 

I see your point.A little sarcasm in there....hey?

mister-rogers-lets-be-together-today_l.j

All right :thumbsup:  I liked Mr.Rogers.....

Well,that is not a good thing.A premonition?

Seems like one, I'm sure many others are wondering the same...

I'm with The Patriot! I think it's funny... What is surprising is that people forget how wild birds are... They know "eat, sleep, have kids, repeat". And people are shocked when a predatory bird attacks its natural prey? 

Cute, DRS81. But Mr. Rogers teaching children how they should behave is a bit different that what is at play here.

Blessings Nebula

Gee,sis....that really is something else,I really believe(perhaps I should not even say it but I am going to go out on a limb here)I see this as if those doves were released by, hmmm......someone truly anointed by God,I do not believe would have been harmed in any way........IMHO...I think we ought to pray for the pope

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Matthew 10:16

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

They are birds, doing what birds do.

yeah, but a sea gull and a crow....     not exactly what I would think would be around attacking two doves.

yeah, but a sea gull and a crow....     not exactly what I would think would be around attacking two doves.

Yes,that is strange.

Animals eat whatever.. I'm convinced of it... A couple days ago, I saw some finches eating the meat off of a discarded mostly eaten chicken wing. Never thought they would be meat eaters either. Crows are carrion eaters, so no surprise that they would go for a dove. Seagulls on the other hand normally eat seafood. I guess "dove" tastes like chicken of the sea to them...

Animals eat whatever.. I'm convinced of it... A couple days ago, I saw some finches eating the meat off of a discarded mostly eaten chicken wing. Never thought they would be meat eaters either. Crows are carrion eaters, so no surprise that they would go for a dove. Seagulls on the other hand normally eat seafood. I guess "dove" tastes like chicken of the sea to them...

I have lived around crows for a very long time and I don't think I've seen them attack any live animal that was not bothering their nest.......   but they do eat anything and everything dead...       Seagulls I'm not that familiar with, but I don't remember ever hearing about them attacking other birds except for nesting problems....   Maybe I just haven't run across it but it's really weird to me.

I have heard of seagulls killing pigeons but not a dove :noidea: .I have never heard of a crow killing anything but they will eat anything that is dead.It just seems strange to my as well.

Pigeons are actually called Water Rock Doves.  Wikipedia. :emot-nod:

not off the top of your head, but think about it-both birds are native to the region, and both are aggressive birds, while doves are peaceful-which means doves are lower on the food chain. Chances are with the seagull, it was more of a territorial thing, but the crow may have actually been hungry lol.

We have had a few seagulls in my area (seagulls in wyoming may sound funny but they are here, got lost and ended up here after katrina) and they are very, very territorial, especially with other birds. Crows are the same way, while they tend to prefer eating dead animals, they will occasionally go after weaker birds, and they can be territorial as well. Theres a chance the seagull and crow were having it out already, when they saw the doves and decided to go for easier targets.

Good point, Patriot.

The article did not state the birds were killed, but they did have feathers pulled off.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0