christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Driving on the wrong side of the road.

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

Come on you Americans, you know that you do it. What's with all that?

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

we americans do not drive on wrong side ...you europeans do...lol...

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

we americans do not drive on wrong side ...you europeans do...lol...

Perhaps in the interest of international diplomacy we should all drive in the middle :hmmm:

By the way, just to correct you. In Europe ONLY Britain and Ireland drive on the left (we're both islands, so there are no problems with border crossings). The rest of Europe such as France, Germany etc. drive on the right, the same as the U.S.A.

Шарон

Шарон
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Lol. The thought of me getting behind the wheel in Britain makes me shudder. I'm a fine driver, honestly, but my directional skills are terrible. It's so embarrassing how easily I can get turned around. So imagining myself driving in Britain, and on the left side of the road, too! Yikes.  :help: 

anthonyjmcgirr

anthonyjmcgirr

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

I'm a fine driver

:runforhills:

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,888 posts

We live on the other side of the world, so we drive on the other side.......   it's not the wrong side...

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

We live on the other side of the world, so we drive on the other side.......   it's not the wrong side...

No. it's not the wrong side, but a discussion is always sparked better when you (humorously) accuse somebody of being wrong.

I once read the history of why different nations drove on different sides of the road, and some of the stories were quite informative. I believe that driving on the right side originally had something to do with Napoleon and the driving on the Left was something to do with swords and shields and protecting yourself from highway robbery. But it's a long time since I read all this, so I have forgotten most of the details.

Imagine if all the U.S. states had different rules. Crossing state borders would be a nightmare,especially if you were traveling at high speed.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

Lol. The thought of me getting behind the wheel in Britain makes me shudder. I'm a fine driver, honestly, but my directional skills are terrible. It's so embarrassing how easily I can get turned around. So imagining myself driving in Britain, and on the left side of the road, too! Yikes.  :help: 

Roundabouts are particularly confusing.

anthonyjmcgirr

anthonyjmcgirr

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

I lived in oregon and they rarely had an intersection.  Most of their 'intersections' were roundabouts. I hated it. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

I lived in oregon and they rarely had an intersection.  Most of their 'intersections' were roundabouts. I hated it. 

I've heard stories about roundabouts in the U.S. I was once old that you didn't have them at all, but that's not true. You have many.

Am I right, however, in saying that some states don't have them?

Шарон

Шарон
  • Members
  • 71 posts

I've heard stories about roundabouts in the U.S. I was once old that you didn't have them at all, but that's not true. You have many.

We do have roundabouts but probably not as many as you might think...but then again, perhaps others states aside from my own have a lot. Florida doesn't have many, in fact, you rarely come across one at all. You usually will come upon one if you're driving in the heart of a small town, or in older, vintage neighborhoods with their original brick roads. ...They are very annoying though. 

Edited by Шарон, 03 February 2014 - 10:36 PM.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

We do have roundabouts but probably not as many as you might think...but then again, perhaps others states aside from my own have a lot. Florida doesn't have many, in fact, you rarely come across one at all. You usually will come upon one if you're driving in the heart of a small town, or in older, vintage neighborhoods with their original brick roads. ...They are very annoying though. 

We have too many in Britain. I think we went roundabout crazy - so it's quite annoying. The good thing is, they don't scare us anymore. We're used to them and they have become second nature to us.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

I never knew that. Oregon sounds a bit 'Britified'.

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Just the way things are, I suppose. Never really thought about it all that much, but had to adapt when I was in the military. I've driven all sorts of vehicles in many different countries, including Europe and the UK . . . but the Middle East has to be the most insane . . . :laugh:

Roundabouts (or traffic circles) were just something else you had to get used to. In Europe it was the "priority road" intersection, which the rules were confusing on, but in Germany they went like this: "He who has the biggest lorry goes first." :whistling: Come to think of it, the roundabouts were pretty much the same way . . . :whistling:

Trickiest part of driving on the opposite side than you're used to isn't in the cities so much because all the traffic, signs, and all that are a constant reminder of what side to stay on, its outside town when you're jetlagged from a long flight. Its extremely easy to get tired and start wandering over to the side you're used to -- which might get you in trouble if you're in the wrong country!

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,888 posts

Roundabouts are flat out evil.....    must be the Devil's curse on mankind

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,786 posts

I drive a 80,000 pound vehicle. I drive on whatever side of the road I want to.

darkest_red

darkest_red

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Roundabouts (or traffic circles) were just something else you had to get used to. In Europe it was the "priority road" intersection, which the rules were confusing on, but in Germany they went like this: "He who has the biggest lorry goes first." :whistling: Come to think of it, the roundabouts were pretty much the same way . . . :whistling:

Roundabouts in the UK aren't too bad, just annoying.  Priority is always to the right, simple enough.  The first time I went to Italy with my parents, my dad drove.  He got used to driving on the right pretty quickly (though did reach for the gearstick or the handbrake and use the wrong hand so ending up in the driver's door pocket a few times!) but what he couldn't get used to was the fact the priority on the roundabouts changed for each roundabout.  Doesn't make much sense to me, but Italian drivers are not known as the best so maybe it just adds to that!

Roundabouts are flat out evil.....    must be the Devil's curse on mankind

Agreed.  I hate roundabouts.  As Willow said earlier, there are far too many over here.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

No,you guys are driving on the wrong side of the street.  :biggrin2:

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,888 posts

at least we're not like the Aussies and drive upside down......  (bottom of the world thing...

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

We live on the other side of the world, so we drive on the other side....... it's not the wrong side...

No. it's not the wrong side, but a discussion is always sparked better when you (humorously) accuse somebody of being wrong.

I once read the history of why different nations drove on different sides of the road, and some of the stories were quite informative. I believe that driving on the right side originally had something to do with Napoleon and the driving on the Left was something to do with swords and shields and protecting yourself from highway robbery. But it's a long time since I read all this, so I have forgotten most of the details.

Imagine if all the U.S. states had different rules. Crossing state borders would be a nightmare,especially if you were traveling at high speed.

I am so glad we have speed limit laws here....I had heard "over there"....no such laws, they just drive as fast as they like, correct me if im wrong.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network