christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Moment of silence

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

almightyist

almightyist
  • Members
  • 50 posts

I'm curious if I'm the only one that cringes when I hear the words moment of silence?  It should be a moment to shout out Praises to Jesus Christ, Lord God Almighty Author of Life.  I watched the National Championship and the Super Bowl....and it really sickens me...but I didn't hear Jesus Christ mentioned once. 

I think I heard God a couple times in a song or  maybe one or two players.  But my God has a name...a name above all names...Jesus Christ...   I been to a lot of states across the US and seen a lot of churches in most towns and it is sad that in the biggest events of the United States his name can't even be mentioned.

Football isn't a sin, having fun isn't a sin.....but failing to give glory to the Author of Life is a sin....and everybody involved with these activities should be ashamed of themselves....and you know what they can do with their moments of silence...

According to the Bible there is only one thing you can brag on.......Jesus Christ....so please start bragging on him wherever you go.

I'm not a big constitutional person... I'm not impressed by our forefathers...they failed us when they put In God we trust...It should have said In JESUS we trust...then there wouldn't be any confusion of who God is...And I wouldn't separate Jesus from anything ...Government...schools...super bowls...national titles...he would be front and center and honored and glorified....

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

I'm curious if I'm the only one that cringes when I hear the words moment of silence?  It should be a moment to shout out Praises to Jesus Christ, Lord God Almighty Author of Life.  I watched the National Championship and the Super Bowl....and it really sickens me...but I didn't hear Jesus Christ mentioned once. 

I think I heard God a couple times in a song or  maybe one or two players.  But my God has a name...a name above all names...Jesus Christ...   I been to a lot of states across the US and seen a lot of churches in most towns and it is sad that in the biggest events of the United States his name can't even be mentioned.

Football isn't a sin, having fun isn't a sin.....but failing to give glory to the Author of Life is a sin....and everybody involved with these activities should be ashamed of themselves....and you know what they can do with their moments of silence...

According to the Bible there is only one thing you can brag on.......Jesus Christ....so please start bragging on him wherever you go.

I'm not a big constitutional person... I'm not impressed by our forefathers...they failed us when they put In God we trust...It should have said In JESUS we trust...then there wouldn't be any confusion of who God is...And I wouldn't separate Jesus from anything ...Government...schools...super bowls...national titles...he would be front and center and honored and glorified....

Jesus is God so I don't really see the problem. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,568 posts

I do understand where you are coming from, but if you are going to live in a constitutional republic and enjoy it's freedoms, you are going to have to give the others the same thing.

Would you accept the head of the Church of Satan praying to start the ballgame...    or a halftime show of witches dancing and openly praying to Pan.

I don't think I would attend anything that I knew either of those were to be involved......   so how can I push my own things on them....    you simply can not do that in a place that has the freedom to let you worship what you want. 

So when I ask that people aren't allowed to lead others to pray to the devil or demons and I'm told, OK but you can't pray to God either.....    I think it OK for the protection of my kids and grand kids not to be exposed to the dark side in those situations.   If I say it's ok for them to pray to the devil.....   I'm giving the devil an excepted place in life and I can't really agree to do that.    Especially since they give me the moment of silence to talk to God and the important thing is that I talk to God and not that my neighbor hears me talking to God.

So it all works out in the end.....      Well maybe not the near naked witches dancing to Pan at some halftime shows......   they surely aren't dancing to my God.....   then there was the Olympics in England...

But that isn't here and it isn't football...

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Jesus is God so I don't really see the problem. 

I agree that Jesus is God, but.....

There is One God who is eternally triune in nature. The Father is God, as is Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The Three being One God. The term 'God' is inclusive of the triune nature. Jesus alone implies modalism.  

I also echo otherone. The U.S. was formed with the premise of freedom of religion. At that time, most other countries were church/states, so those who did not agree with the governmental authorized religious beliefs were often persecuted. That included the Pilgrims and Puritans who came to the U.S. to escape religious persecution. And the Jewish people. In any given country, the number of born again Christians has been in the minority, so a state religion will not meet the beliefs of evangelical Christianity. With the power to dictate religious beliefs, born again Christians would be legislated out by the majority.   

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,568 posts

Our country was not originally free to practice religion....    the Historians that I talked to at Williamsburg Virginia tell us that before the country was formed, people in Virginia attended the Church there every Sunday  and I do mean everyone.......  if you didn't they took you to court and did terrible things to you......    and if you were caught teaching the doctrine of the Catholic Church you were taken to court warned once and on the second occasion promptly hanged.

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Our country was not originally free to practice religion....    the Historians that I talked to at Williamsburg Virginia tell us that before the country was formed, people in Virginia attended the Church there every Sunday  and I do mean everyone.......  if you didn't they took you to court and did terrible things to you......    and if you were caught teaching the doctrine of the Catholic Church you were taken to court warned once and on the second occasion promptly hanged.

I'll somewhat disagree. While the Puritans and Pilgrims left to be free to worship the way they wanted, within their area in the U.S., they were very strict as to how everyone had to practice. But, this was not a country wide policy. Some states established a religion and others did not but allowed a more free expression of religion. So, the establishment clause forbids federal government from establishing a religion, but did not place the same restriction at the state or city level.  So, in early U.S., various colonies practiced by law, certain religious beliefs, with a variety of Protestant colonies, and Catholic colonies.

In 1790, George Washington wrote the following to the first Jewish synagogue in the U.S.located in Rhode Island:

'"Allowing rights and immunities of citizenship. It is now no more that toleration is spoken of, as if it were by the indulgence of one class of people, that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support'

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
I heard the quarterback of the Seahawks first give credit to God on several occasions and in several interviews. Perhaps it was edited out of what you saw. He said it when handed the trophy as well as in several personal interviews after the game, but he was the only person I heard do so.. I was watching on the Fox channel.
Blessings, Willa

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,568 posts

I'll somewhat disagree. While the Puritans and Pilgrims left to be free to worship the way they wanted, within their area in the U.S., they were very strict as to how everyone had to practice. But, this was not a country wide policy. Some states established a religion and others did not but allowed a more free expression of religion. So, the establishment clause forbids federal government from establishing a religion, but did not place the same restriction at the state or city level.  So, in early U.S., various colonies practiced by law, certain religious beliefs, with a variety of Protestant colonies, and Catholic colonies.

In 1790, George Washington wrote the following to the first Jewish synagogue in the U.S.located in Rhode Island:

'"Allowing rights and immunities of citizenship. It is now no more that toleration is spoken of, as if it were by the indulgence of one class of people, that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support'

I think if you study the pre revolution time period of Virginia history you will find that I am correct....  

I also agree that when the country was formed those who did set things up so we could not force religion on anyone...  Which is what the moment of silence is for......    a time to stop and reflect and speak to whomever you have decided to worship and ask help from or just say thanks.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts

Yes,Jesus is God.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,548 posts

In All That We Find To Do

And In All The Thoughts We May Think

May We Determine To Praise The Name Of Jesus~!

And To Bless, Bless All Our Neighbors

Heathen Or No

:)

Шарон

Шарон
  • Members
  • 71 posts

I agree with what you're saying, but mentioning 'Jesus Christ' on live television (in a 'praise' sense) is too offensive apparently to those who either are A) are not believers, and B) have no backbone being too afraid to Praise Jesus's name in public. Very sad.

almightyist

almightyist
  • Members
  • 50 posts

when I watch events like that..all that passes thru my mind is if your ashamed of me...I will be ashamed of you.   we should be so thankful to Jesus to be able to play games and enjoy some fun...  it seems like we honor the creation more than the creator...we give our country honor, players honor....y not give the author of life honor...we have become very weak willed...in my opinion

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,568 posts

when I watch events like that..all that passes thru my mind is if your ashamed of me...I will be ashamed of you.   we should be so thankful to Jesus to be able to play games and enjoy some fun...  it seems like we honor the creation more than the creator...we give our country honor, players honor....y not give the author of life honor...we have become very weak willed...in my opinion

So it's ok with you if a priest in the Church of Satan to pray to Satan before a football game or an assembly at your local school?

almightyist

almightyist
  • Members
  • 50 posts

So it's ok with you if a priest in the Church of Satan to pray to Satan before a football game or an assembly at your local school?

I wouldn't attend. But I wouldn't stop them. If the Super Bowl authorities decided they wanted to glorify satan. Or if the schools did I wouldn't attend. Free will is a wonderful thing. And I expect them to feel the same way...if I had the authority of the Super Bowl and I wanted to glorify Jesus Christ and u don't like it...don't attend. Having free religion isn't about accommodating people. It's about giving thanks to Jesus in all activities you are involved in...that is Bible.

Church of satan don't bother me at all...not giving glory to Jesus bothers me.. My point is if the NFL owners are Christians is it more important to accommodate people or Jesus. The problem is it is all about their God....Almighty money.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,568 posts

I would wager a guess that if they started holding Satanic prayers in your school, you'd have things to say about it.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,944 posts

You sure like to use blanket statements.  Who are the "we" you keep talking about?

almightyist

almightyist
  • Members
  • 50 posts

I do understand where you are coming from, but if you are going to live in a constitutional republic and enjoy it's freedoms, you are going to have to give the others the same thing.

I just don't understand y a few make the majority deny their God. It doesn't seem right and shouldn't be tolerated. But it really doesn't bother a majority of Christians ...I guess I'm a minority and will have to live with it.

I would wager a guess that if they started holding Satanic prayers in your school, you'd have things to say about it.

U would lose that wager. I believe in freedom and if the majority wants it...have at it. And I feel satanists should feel the same way.

You sure like to use blanket statements.  Who are the "we" you keep talking about?

We the people watching the game...Christians watching the game..Jesus says we r either with him or we r with satan...the more I pray on this the more lukewarm comes into my mind...Revelation says lukewarm is a bad place to be...

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,644 posts

So you would allow satan to be worshiped in your school but not attend a football game because they allow a miutes silence?

How do you know that the majority are not praying to God in that minute? It's what I do.

I am confused when you say this 

I wouldn't attend. But I wouldn't stop them. If the Super Bowl authorities decided they wanted to glorify satan. Or if the schools did I wouldn't attend.

Then you say..

other one, on 06 Feb 2014 - 03:22 AM, said:snapback.png

U would lose that wager. I believe in freedom and if the majority wants it...have at it. And I feel satanists should feel the same way

almightyist

almightyist
  • Members
  • 50 posts

So you would allow satan to be worshiped in your school but not attend a football game because they allow a miutes silence?

How do you know that the majority are not praying to God in that minute? It's what I do.

I wouldn't attend. But I wouldn't stop them. If the Super Bowl authorities decided they wanted to glorify satan. Or if the schools did I wouldn't attend.

Then you say..

U would lose that wager. I believe in freedom and if the majority wants it...have at it. And I feel satanists should feel the same way

i said i cringe when i hear moment of silence at a game... too me it is not good when you can shout louder for a team then you can for the author of life...without Jesus you wouldn't even have a team...

if the majority of the US wants to worship of satan...have at it...if I don't like it...i move.....or i accept it and work around it

and that same principle should apply to satanist or any other religion...if the majority of the US wants to worship Jesus...we should be able to have at it...and they can move...or accept it or work around it...

I'm not talking about making anybody accept Jesus or even praying to him....I'm saying it would be nice to give him thanks for the blessings ..I would rather offend people than Almighty Jesus.

reading your replies i guess i'm the only one offended by the moment of silence and not giving thanks to Jesus at public events...and I am a minority...so I will have to deal with it...

The Holy Word instructs us to give Thanks always... maybe i'm out of the circle....did they change the bible...give thanks always but not at major sporting events...or entertainment events or any other event where a non-believer might be...

thanks for the feedback...

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Then you say..

i said i cringe when i hear moment of silence at a game... too me it is not good when you can shout louder for a team then you can for the author of life...without Jesus you wouldn't even have a team...

if the majority of the US wants to worship of satan...have at it...if I don't like it...i move.....or i accept it and work around it

and that same principle should apply to satanist or any other religion...if the majority of the US wants to worship Jesus...we should be able to have at it...and they can move...or accept it or work around it...

I'm not talking about making anybody accept Jesus or even praying to him....I'm saying it would be nice to give him thanks for the blessings ..I would rather offend people than Almighty Jesus.

reading your replies i guess i'm the only one offended by the moment of silence and not giving thanks to Jesus at public events...and I am a minority...so I will have to deal with it...

The Holy Word instructs us to give Thanks always... maybe i'm out of the circle....did they change the bible...give thanks always but not at major sporting events...or entertainment events or any other event where a non-believer might be...

thanks for the feedback...

To me, there is a difference between a Christian giving thanks to Jesus publically, and a rule which requires non-Christians to participate in giving thanks to Jesus.  

At the typical public event, most people will not be born again, so a mandated prayer in Jesus name would mean nothing when prayed by non-believers and might actually cause some people to blaspheme, or take Jesus name in vain. Born again Christians do not an official public prayer in Jesus name in order to prayer, so those who wish to give thanks always can do so without making it mandatory for non-Christians to do the same. A forced prayer, as in a forced conversion, is really no conversion or prayer to Jesus at all.  

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network