christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking for guidance

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

Mick513

Mick513
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Greetings and God bless, all who read my message.

I thank my blessings everyday that i have the life it do.

Over my life i've struggled with faith issues.  I am a man of science, and find solice, excitement and joy in studying the natural world, mathematics, and understanding how things work.  Many in the scientifc communinty are strong aethiests as they so no need for a God as we seem to explain everything without the need for a creator.  I'm a little more humble and see a million things we can never explain, understand through science, and i do believe in God.

I've always had a little trouble with the 'preachy' side of faith. As a child going to church, i would be so bored, never understand what was been said, and always thought i was been mildly chastised for my sinfull ways.  I still feel the same now.  Authority figures in general trouble me and i believe we can live life in our own ways, doing good without having to consult a rule book.  When i've read any religious statements, i find myself picking them apart in a very scientifc way,  analysing finding either contradications, other meanings, or find they are putting me down in some way that turns me off from traditional christian texts.

Just over a year ago, my life took a troublesome turn and through sadness and desparation i turned to God, and prayed for help.  I was terrifed and scared and told God that if things more resolved, I would never forget and always be grateful.  To my amazement and joy my prayers were answered, it was truely a miracle, new life was breathed into me, and i started praying regularly.  I can never explain to God how grateful and I for what happened, but I've found myself searching for a sign of how to proceed with my life.  My gratitude and love are now unbounded.

I've never read the bible, or gone to church as an adult, and I cant see that happening, as i explained above, but i do have a ralationship with God i want it to grow.  I've asked him for a sign of how to proceed in my life, but nothing yet.  I know i have to be patient.

Do my thoughts strike a chord with any of you?  Sounds cheesy, but I want to do good in the world, and help people in some way.  I struggle to find my way to do this, partly because  I am very much a loner, have few friends and work and live alone.  But i'm happy with that, i guess we dont all have to be extraverts.

I guess to sumarize all this my question is:  How to i stay patient, and will god give me a sign for how i can show gratitude for the wonderful gift that i've been given?  I am scared that i'll lose my new found faith and feel God is not listening to me anymore.

Some people seem to treat God as a kind of magic genie or something.  You ask for something and you get it.  This is obviously not right, and a foolish myth.  I know a father figure is a much more understandable analegy, but still I struggle to understand the dynamics of the reationship.

Possibly even posting this message is part of the process.  thanks for reading.

Mick.  :happyhappy:

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,807 posts

Mick, a relationship with God really isn't much different than a relationship with a friend.   You have to spend time with them and basically get to know each other......   it just so happens that this friend actually created the world you like to study.

I would say that the best way to get to know the Lord is to read his word.....   it's a daunting task until you do it the first time....   might I suggest downloading the Bible as MP3 files and listen to it instead of reading.

After a while you'll want a half dozen bibles or a good electronic one so you can look up things you want to remind yourself or share with others.   It's kind of hard to do that with CD's or computer files.

I personally attend a Nazarene church.....   not really for the doctrine they teach but for the loving people there.  I've never been to a Nazarene church that wasn't full of kind loving people.    Making Christian friends is important.

john14:6

john14:6

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Greetings and God bless, all who read my message.

I thank my blessings everyday that i have the life it do.

Over my life i've struggled with faith issues.  I am a man of science, and find solice, excitement and joy in studying the natural world, mathematics, and understanding how things work.  Many in the scientifc communinty are strong aethiests as they so no need for a God as we seem to explain everything without the need for a creator.  I'm a little more humble and see a million things we can never explain, understand through science, and i do believe in God.

I've always had a little trouble with the 'preachy' side of faith. As a child going to church, i would be so bored, never understand what was been said, and always thought i was been mildly chastised for my sinfull ways.  I still feel the same now.  Authority figures in general trouble me and i believe we can live life in our own ways, doing good without having to consult a rule book.  When i've read any religious statements, i find myself picking them apart in a very scientifc way,  analysing finding either contradications, other meanings, or find they are putting me down in some way that turns me off from traditional christian texts.

Just over a year ago, my life took a troublesome turn and through sadness and desparation i turned to God, and prayed for help.  I was terrifed and scared and told God that if things more resolved, I would never forget and always be grateful.  To my amazement and joy my prayers were answered, it was truely a miracle, new life was breathed into me, and i started praying regularly.  I can never explain to God how grateful and I for what happened, but I've found myself searching for a sign of how to proceed with my life.  My gratitude and love are now unbounded.

I've never read the bible, or gone to church as an adult, and I cant see that happening, as i explained above, but i do have a ralationship with God i want it to grow.  I've asked him for a sign of how to proceed in my life, but nothing yet.  I know i have to be patient.

Do my thoughts strike a chord with any of you?  Sounds cheesy, but I want to do good in the world, and help people in some way.  I struggle to find my way to do this, partly because  I am very much a loner, have few friends and work and live alone.  But i'm happy with that, i guess we dont all have to be extraverts.

I guess to sumarize all this my question is:  How to i stay patient, and will god give me a sign for how i can show gratitude for the wonderful gift that i've been given?  I am scared that i'll lose my new found faith and feel God is not listening to me anymore.

Some people seem to treat God as a kind of magic genie or something.  You ask for something and you get it.  This is obviously not right, and a foolish myth.  I know a father figure is a much more understandable analegy, but still I struggle to understand the dynamics of the reationship.

Possibly even posting this message is part of the process.  thanks for reading.
Mick.  :happyhappy:

Hello Mick513,

I couldn't tell from reading your post if you were actually "born again" or "saved" as we Christians say. No one can have a relationship with God without being born again. If you are interested in reading about how God showed me how to have that born again relationship with Him I am including a link to my testimony which is posted here in another thread. For me it was a miserable time in my life as I struggled with doubts & fears because I did not read the bible as an adult and therefore I did not understand God's way for us to have the born again experience.

http://www.worthychr...168320-john146/

I can tell you from my own experience that whatever it is you need from God will be found by reading & studying the Bible. Hope you will read my testimony & that it might help you in your search for an answer.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network