christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LOVE

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

5492852bfd148f7dd425bbda7420a3cb.jpgIn honor of Valentines day that is coming up I am going to start a thread on love.How do you see a true and unconditional love?A love that lasts for 50+ years?For a couple to be still  passionately in love with each other after many years.What does it take?Maybe some will never find it.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,964 posts

:emot-heartbeat:

Two Cuddled Up In The Hands Of The Father And Of The Son

44 Years And Blessed

Thank You LORD For The Loan Of Your Beloved Cute Daughter

Love, Joe

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

:emot-heartbeat:

Two Cuddled Up In The Hands Of The Father And Of The Son

44 Years And Blessed

Thank You LORD For The Loan Of Your Beloved Cute Daughter

Love, Joe

That is sweet Joe :mgcheerful:

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Not alot of interest in love on this messageboard hu? :verkle:

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
"What is agape love?"

Answer:
The Greek word agape is often translated "love" in the New Testament. How is "agape love" different from other types of love? The essence of agape love is self-sacrifice. Unlike our English word “love,” agape is not used in the Bible to refer to romantic or sexual love. Nor does it refer to close friendship or brotherly love, for which the Greek word philia is used. Nor does agape mean “charity,” a term which the King James translators carried over from the Latin. Agape love is unique and is distinguished by its nature and character.

Agape is love which is of and from God, whose very nature is love itself. The apostle John affirms this in 1 John 4:8: “God is love.” God does not merely love; He is love itself. Everything God does flows from His love. But it is important to remember that God’s love is not a sappy, sentimental love such as we often hear portrayed. God loves because that is His nature and the expression of His being. He loves the unlovable and the unlovely (us!), not because we deserve to be loved, but because it is His nature to love us, and He must be true to His nature and character. God’s love is displayed most clearly at the cross, where Christ died for the unworthy creatures who were “dead in trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1), not because we did anything to deserve it, “but God commends His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8). The object of God’s agape love never does anything to merit His love. We are the undeserving recipients upon whom He lavishes that love. His love was demonstrated when He sent His Son into the world to “seek and save that which was lost” (Luke 19:10) and to provide eternal life to those He sought and saved. He paid the ultimate sacrifice for those He loves.

In the same way, we are to love others sacrificially. Jesus gave the parable of the Good Samaritan as an example of sacrifice for the sake of others, even for those who may care nothing at all for us, or even hate us, as the Jews did the Samaritans. Sacrificial love is not based on a feeling, but a determined act of the will, a joyful resolve to put the welfare of others above our own. But this type of love does not come naturally to humans. Because of our fallen nature, we are incapable of producing such a love. If we are to love as God loves, that love—that agape—can only come from its true Source. This is the love which “has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit given to us” when we became His children (Romans 5:5). Because that love is now in our hearts, we can obey Jesus who said, “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. As I have loved you, you should also love one another” (John 13:34). This new commandment involves loving one another as He loved us sacrificially, even to the point of death. But, again, it is clear that only God can generate within us the kind of self-sacrificing love which is the proof that we are His children. “By this we have known the love of God, because He laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers” (1 John 3:16). Because of God’s love toward us, we are now able to love one another.

Read more: http://www.gotquesti...l#ixzz2tKm2kMNZ

Sunflower

Sunflower
  • Members
  • 54 posts
f0e2fd2f2ad3be609fa827ab2ddcfda2_zps2fa0

Edited by Sunflower, 16 February 2014 - 05:13 AM.

Sunflower

Sunflower
  • Members
  • 54 posts
d6bd05af840304bdddae6f21ccc9f964_zps1e43

Sunflower

Sunflower
  • Members
  • 54 posts
955dcf6c162f8e3bba22136c65aefa4b_zps3329

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

poster-jesus-14_zpse8b43e24.jpg

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

5492852bfd148f7dd425bbda7420a3cb.jpgIn honor of Valentines day that is coming up I am going to start a thread on love.How do you see a true and unconditional love?A love that lasts for 50+ years?For a couple to be still  passionately in love with each other after many years.What does it take?Maybe some will never find it.

i honestly believe couples that have stayed together for years and years ...is that they promised to pursue each other, long after they said I do.

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Not alot of interest in love on this messageboard hu? :verkle:

i know right? I have nothing to add with that, but was hoping to read others happy moments.... :thumbsup:  

Sunflower

Sunflower
  • Members
  • 54 posts
I love love talk! I want this topic to continue! Love isn't a happy ending or a mind-boggling formula. It's the place you come back to, no matter where your headed. I've learned this about love, amongst things...

The more God is working in me and teaching me to love the 1 Corinthians 13 way, the more I understand and appreciate the beauty of love... I think when we aspire to love the way God loves us, and see the good in others, we have the potential of loving unconditionally. When one is committed to loving that way there is no room for bitterness or unforgiveness... It nurtures and holds relationships together.

Just a few of my thoughts right now...

chloe_fantastic

chloe_fantastic

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

How do you see a true and unconditional love?A love that lasts for 50+ years?For a couple to be still  passionately in love with each other after many years.What does it take?

It all starts with the love we receive from Jesus. If that isn't right, none of our other relationships will reach their full potential.

If we love with this kind of love, time won't decrease it, as time doesn't decrease our Lord's love for us.

Time also won't affect this type of love because this type of love isn't a feeling, it's a choice we make, to choose to love. Sure, there are feelings and emotions associated with love, but these aren't the love itself. They're a by-product and will wax and wane as emotions are prone to do, but regardless of how we're feeling, at the end of the day, we're still left with that choice to act out of love, to treat someone with love, or not. The feelings may make that decision easier or more difficult, but ultimately we do make that choice.

As far as passion goes, I'd say in the vast majority of marriages, that's something that comes and goes, being something anchored to feelings and emotions. Certainly there are things we can do to either dampen that, or to create an environment in which that can flourish, but I don't think there's a foolproof formula for it that'll work for every marriage, and I think we set ourselves up for disappointment and disillusionment when we expect every day to be wine and roses once we're married. I don't think that's all bad though. For me, what matters more than passion is simply knowing that my husband is my best friend (besides the Lord), knowing all we've been through together, and that he's seen me at my worst and knows all the bad stuff I don't show anybody else, and he still loves and accepts me as I am, and I, him. And that's despite feelings and emotions, not because of them.

Sunflower

Sunflower
  • Members
  • 54 posts
5945a88f712260d55cf4d7619d23a345_zps8a63

I'm practicing this daily...

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Thanks for starting an important thread.  I have a couple of contributions on this subject of love.  1) The issue of loving self & 2) The issue of hierarchical ethics where love trumps all.

As to love (agape) love does not seek its own.  In such a case it becomes an oxymoron to speak about loving yourself; not that "loving yourself" would be wrong, but self-contradictory.

Love is the top ethical standard in the Bible.  We must love God & love neighbor as yourself.  Loving neighbor as youself is a short-form.  Many read in Love neighbor as yourself, this string, which is really not there:  "Love your neighbor as [you love ] yourself. But those words "you love" are not there. Could it be that the correct supplied words are as follows:  "Love your neighbor as [if he were] yourself"?

No man ever hated his own body.  Thus I take it from Ephesians that we do not have a problem loving ourselves, neither is it wrong in our English sense (which perhaps ignores the Greek word agape).

The legalist may not be aware that the ethical system of the Bible is hierarchical; in other words, there are more & less important commandments, and agape love trumps lower principles.  For example, King David was famished & needed food.  Love dictated that the priests let him eat show-bread which was against the law for non-priests to eat.

I put it to you that when we argue (or lecture ourselves) I must do this, I must do this, I must do this on pain of disobeying God; we should be careful that this obedience is a subset of loving neighbor as self.  If it has nothing to do with loving God or loving neighbor as self, is not one playing theological tiddywinks?

A great topic.  I started to post to it, but it disappeared; so I hope I don't double.  Often the theory is put forth that "Love your neighbor as yourself," means that people have a problem loving themselves. 

yourself.

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
God is love. His name is love. He is love himself. He is the potter and we are the clay and he will never let us be broken. A shepherd loves his flock and we are the flock and He is our shepherd.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network