christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A mistake in the Bible?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,587 posts

The following is interesting but casts no doubts on the Bible's truth.  Reading the 'comments' shows that most believers KNOW the Bible was written down from very old oral traditions.  I don't imagine there was some magical date when camels became domesticated either.  It most surely happened over a long period of time in various places and pinpointing the exact time would be impossible.  Opinions?

http://news.yahoo.co...-182042100.html

1x1is1

1x1is1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

One of the comments mentioned that owing camels and domesticating them are entirely different.  I agree.  Abram owned camels for sure, who knows, maybe they made good steaks back then and we are misusing them now for work. :lightbulb2:

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,587 posts

One of the comments mentioned that owing camels and domesticating them are entirely different.  I agree.  Abram owned camels for sure, who knows, maybe they made good steaks back then and we are misusing them now for work. :lightbulb2:

Good point 1X1, I had not thought of that.  :lightbulb2: 

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Blessings Morning Glory!

God Bless you,Sis....& Glory to God! Honestly ,I started to the article & it said "radioactive" carbon dating was the method used to estimate dating & I stopped reading,,,,not to be a nit-picker but to begin with is is "radiometric" not radioactive....secondly,it has been proven to be a very unreliable method of dating so I did not bother to read what else they had to say to try to discredit the word of God.....

I am a professional horse trainer & I was actually invited to a friends ranch many years ago where she bred & trained many species of animals including camels.....they are not the most peasant creature & can have awful dispositions but are quite easy to train ,,,,,I would even consider they were easier to domesticate than horses in their wild state...............IMO

We still do have Mustangs roaming the country in the wild,we can train one & show him in 6 months.....I am sure the camel was ridden by Abraham & the "Lot" of them(good pun,heh?)

With love,in Christ-Kwik

His_disciple3

His_disciple3

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Acts 5:29
29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
KJV
and on the same thought we could say " we ought to believe God rather than men." carbon dating is a process made by man. we even have pastors now that says because man had a hand in writing the Bible that it can't be infallible and must have mistakes, because man is imperfect. but let man develop a way of testing how old a log is. and that is infallible, what we call around these parts as speaking out of both sides of your mouth. think about it how could a test show if a camel was tame or not or when the first camel became tame??????? please!!! just another attack on the Word of God, to cause doubt.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,675 posts

I don't believe carbon dating techniques are as reliable as scientists make out.  I don't accept the story as valid. 

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

The following is interesting but casts no doubts on the Bible's truth.  Reading the 'comments' shows that most believers KNOW the Bible was written down from very old oral traditions.  I don't imagine there was some magical date when camels became domesticated either.  It most surely happened over a long period of time in various places and pinpointing the exact time would be impossible.  Opinions?

http://news.yahoo.co...-182042100.html

Are you being sarcastic when you say, "Reading the 'comments' shows that most believers KNOW the Bible was written down from very old oral traditions"? 

I don't know about your one-whammel camel, but I take it that animals were probably domesticated (bred specially for man's use) in the ancient Cainite culture, before the flood.  "And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents and have cattle."

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

To me the idea of domesticated animals & vegetables is that the wild varieties are not as useful as man wants them; so man has selectively bred them.  For example, you may find a wild apple tree with little sour, not so succulent apples.  A wolf won't jump up on your lap, lick you and ask you to pet him, like a dog will.  Cows have been bred either for big meat or big milk.  For humorous animal breeding, check out Jacob's efforts with Laban's animals.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,587 posts

Are you being sarcastic when you say, "Reading the 'comments' shows that most believers KNOW the Bible was written down from very old oral traditions"? 

Why would you even ask that?????

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Why?  Becs there are all kinds of people with all kinds of ideas.

Such passions as these,

Meseemeth be sought,

By the witness mind,

That roves distraught.

(Awful translation of Euripides' Media, by Arthur S Way -- prob)

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,587 posts

Such passions as these,

Meseemeth be sought,

By the witness mind,

That roves distraught.

I believe it was uncalled for; I was obviously pointing to the fact that the responding believers KNEW how the Bible came to be.

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Such passions as these,

Meseemeth be sought,

By the witness mind,

That roves distraught.

I believe it was uncalled for; I was obviously pointing to the fact that the responding believers KNEW how the Bible came to be.

Judge not.  I was as sincere in my question as Linus' pumpkin patch. 

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

Something I just stumbled upon:

The Latest Challenge to the Bible's Accuracy: Abraham's Anachronistic Camels?

Despite the latest study of bones, evidence indicates the iconic desert animals do belong in Genesis.

Gordon Govier/ February 14, 2014

<snip>

The use of camels for copper mining is an important discovery. "But to extrapolate from that and say they never had domesticated camels anywhere else in Israel in the 1,000 years before that is an overreach," said Todd Bolen, professor of Biblical Studies at The Master's College in Santa Clarita, California. "The conclusions are overstated."

While it has been difficult for archaeologists and historians to pin down the exact time and location when camels were domesticated, there is evidence to suggest that the Genesis accounts are not a biblical anachronism.

Two recent academic papers written by evangelical scholars—Konrad Martin Heide, a lecturer at Philipps University of Marburg, Germany; and Titus Kennedy, an adjunct professor at Biola University—both refer to earlier depictions of men riding or leading camels, some that date to the early second millenium BC.

Among other evidence, Kennedy notes that a camel is mentioned in a list of domesticated animals from Ugarit, dating to the Old Babylonian period (1950-1600 BC).

Read more here

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,587 posts

Such passions as these,

Meseemeth be sought,

By the witness mind,

That roves distraught.

I'm sorry but your comments don't make any sense.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,807 posts

Such passions as these,

Meseemeth be sought,

By the witness mind,

That roves distraught.

I'm sorry but your comments don't make any sense.

thank goodness,  I thought it was just me...

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
Radio carbon dating showed a rock created by Mt. St Helens to be many thousands of years old. Wish I could remember the details. But it did disprove the accuracy of the dating method.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,807 posts

Radio carbon dating showed a rock created by Mt. St Helens to be many thousands of years old. Wish I could remember the details. But it did disprove the accuracy of the dating method.

https://www.creation...es/swenson1.htm

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

https://www.creation...es/swenson1.htm

Thanks for the ref.

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

http://www.biblearch...st.aspx#Article

why not check this out

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network