christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1 Corinthians 11: 28 - 29, help me with this.

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

rkofori

rkofori
  • Members
  • 16 posts
1 Corinthians 11: 28 - 29
28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.
29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. I don't understand what it means to examine yourself, please help me.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,073 posts

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:8-10

rkofori

rkofori
  • Members
  • 16 posts
Thanks very much FresnoJoe. But please, the scripture is reference to communion and that is what I want to know what it means to examine one self before taking the communion.

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Do not take the cup or bread unworthily - ask God to forgive your sin and if you hold anything against another forgive them so that you come to God's table clean in heart.

Welcome to Worthy!!

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,674 posts

The example Paul gives in found in verses 17 - 26, then he goes on to instruct to examine ourselves.

Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you. Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord’s Supper. For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.

For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

Paul is telling us to examine our hearts ... why are you here to share the Lords Supper together? What is your reason behind this?

rkofori

rkofori
  • Members
  • 16 posts
Thank you Littlelamb & OneLight
. @OneLight; it was in a discussion during weekly service but I was a bit confused with that verse and so I shared here for help.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Blessings rkofori!

Welcome to Worthy,I am happy that you received Gods Word.......I pray the Holy Spirit bring you to all Wisdom & Understanding in Gods Timeless Truth,in Jesus Name!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

faithink

faithink
  • Members
  • 9 posts

i agree with onelight, and was about to post the same thing, lol now i can be lazy about it jk. last year  i really reflected on and studied that bit of scripture, you have to really pay attention when paul says therefore, because usually when he does that, youll find the explainationof why he is comanding us in something.

Edited by faithink, 13 February 2014 - 01:00 PM.

rkofori

rkofori
  • Members
  • 16 posts
Thank you very much kwik & faith!

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

examine, meaning to forgive in our own heart and a humble heart will always find truth. faith like a child.

Adsy86

Adsy86
  • Members
  • 43 posts

what would you guys think if an nonbeliever participated in these moment not knowing fully the meaning of it but still does it?

my personal opinion is that the moment might do nothing on the person's life (assuming that the person isn't doing it as what the communion symbolizes) and voids it, but I wanna know what someone else thinks of it

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,073 posts

what would you guys think if an nonbeliever participated in these moment not knowing fully the meaning of it but still does it?

my personal opinion is that the moment might do nothing on the person's life (assuming that the person isn't doing it as what the communion symbolizes) and voids it, but I wanna know what someone else thinks of it

~

First And Last

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalms 139:23-24

First And Last

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

It's Always Jesus

BeauJangles

BeauJangles

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

The Apostle Paul was trying to express the importance of what communion was and is. There are both simplistic and complex meanings of the very act of what communion means and how one should remember our Savior's words "As often as you do this, do it in remembrance of Me." In the formation of the early Christian believers, many were beginning to take communion less seriously than was intended. This distressed Paul and he wrote in his letters to the Church. Tthe act of communion was meant for keeping it holy and not an occasion of celebration. Paul was concerned some were using the ceremonial bread and wine in excess and were forgetting the reason for communion in the context that it Is meant for us to recall our Lord's sacrifice for us. Communion is a simple act of obedience, just as baptism also is an act of obedience. We can rejoice in this, but it is not cause for us to take these acts of obedience lightly. Communion and baptism are a response in commitment to our Savior. 

David

aka: BeauJangles 

Edited by BeauJangles, 14 February 2014 - 03:49 AM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network