christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

'Global Warming' blamed for harsh winter weather?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

from MRC:

CBS Blames Global Warming for Harsh Winter Weather

As a snow storm beared (sic) down on the east coast on Thursday, CBS This Morning sought to lay blame on global warming, with the headline on screen fretting: "Extreme Weather; Are These Kinds of Storms, Droughts Unprecedented?"

Here is a full transcript of the February 13 segment: (emphasis mine)

NORAH O'DONNELL: As another major storm system hits the south and the east, sub-zero temperatures still grip the Midwest. And western Oregon and Washington state were hit with unusual snow.

[ON-SCREEN HEADLINE: Extreme Weather; Are These Kinds of Storms, Droughts Unprecedented?]

CHARLIE ROSE: Well, and California just got about twenty inches of rain from a pineapple express, but that state is far from ending its drought emergency. CBS News contributor Michio Kaku is a physics professor at the City College of New York. Good morning.

MICHIO KAKU: Good morning.

ROSE: So what's causing all this?

KAKU: Well, the wacky weather could get even wackier. What we're seeing is that the jet stream and the polar vortex are becoming unstable. Instability of historic proportions. Now think of the polar vortex as a bucket, a swirling bucket of cold air. However, the walls are weakening. Cold air is spilling out, spilling out over the walls of the bucket. And the question is, why? Why is this polar vortex weakening? We think it's because of the gradual heating up of the North Pole. The North Pole is melting.

ROSE: Global warming.

KAKU: That excess heat -- that excess heat generated by all this warm water is destabilizing this gigantic bucket of cold air, weakening this low pressure region, causing cold air to spill out over the United States. So that's the irony, that heating could cause gigantic storms of historic proportions.

GAYLE KING: Would you the the [inaudible] please.

[LAUGHTER]

KING: No, I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Go ahead, Norah.

O'DONNELL: We get this spilling out of the bucket, right? So but we see this snow in the Midwest and the south, why then has California been the driest on record? I mean, look at the snow pack in the Sierra's. Any skier knows out there they have so little snow pack. Huge drought.

KAKU: Because a lot of the weather, the warm -- the moisture-laden air which should go to California is being diverted into Canada, where it freezes, and it falls on your backyard. So in some sense there's the link between what's happening in California as the jet stream diverts, diverts the moisture-laden air over Canada and then it snows on the United States.

KING: I'm trying to follow you. I'm really trying to follow you. But does this explain why Niagra Falls is frozen and why it's warm in Sochi? It's all connected to the same thing, correct?

KAKU: It's connected. If you take a look at...

ROSE: Globally.

KING: Globally, yeah.

KAKU: ...at the jet stream, you see that England is flooding right now, Latin America is warm, while California has a drought. We're talking about instabilities caused by the eratic nature of the jet stream-

KING: What can be done about it, Professor? Anything we can actually do about it?

KAKU: Well, the bad news is that the north polar region continues to rise in temperature, it seems to be irreversible at a certain point, so we may have to get used to a new normal. That is, a north polar region that is melting, causing more instability in this bucket, causing more things to spill out, which means more extremes. Some winters could be very mild, other winters could be horrendous.

O'DONNELL: And you said 2014 is gonna be the hottest on record?

KAKU: It's shaping up that this year could be one of the hottest years on record. The decade that just passed, it was the hottest decade ever recorded in the history of science.

ROSE: Michio, you know if this physics thing doesn't work out, you can be a weather man.

[LAUGHTER]

O'DONNELL: You could try it.

KING: Professor, thank you very much. I think he's speechless.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,886 posts

:thumbsup:

Mother Nature

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. 1 John 5:21

Really Really Is A Devil

But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. 1 Corinthians 10:20-21

And The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Israel

Wherfore, when I came, was there no man? when I called, was there none to answer? Is my hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? or have I no power to deliver? behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness: their fish stinketh, because there is no water, and dieth for thirst. I clothe the heavens with blackness, and I make sackcloth their covering. Isaiah 50:2-3

Really Really Is The

Make them like tumbleweed, my God, like chaff before the wind.

As fire consumes the forest or a flame sets the mountains ablaze,

so pursue them with your tempest and terrify them with your storm.

Cover their faces with shame, Lord, so that they will seek your name. Psalms 83:13-16 (NIV)

Weatherman

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. Genesis 8:22 (KJV)

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

God only has ultimate control of  the weather. Although I'm convinced I read somewhere that Lucifer has the gift to influence the weather too. Maybe has we approach the End Times he has been given free reign to mess about thus adding credence to the godless man-made climate change hoax.

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

... Maybe has we approach the End Times he has been given free reign to mess about thus adding credence to the godless man-made climate change hoax.

A hoax might explain some of the laughter on the CBS set.

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
There used to be a glacier north of Lake Louise in Alberta Canada. I once rode on it in the 50s and recommended that my pastor visit there on his vacation a couple of years ago.. It was he that told me it had completely melted. So I do believe that we are in a warming trend. But I also believe that the volcanos that produced megatons of gasses and ash are largely to blame. We were told when St. Helens erupted that it produced more gasses that created global warming than had been produced in 2000 years. Our bi products do much to injure lungs, however, so I am not opposed to limiting emissions. I just don't think it should be a political football or be blamed on industry, autos, oil or coal fire, etc. We are also told that the over grazing of the lands in northern Africa and wars bruning and raping the land is enlarging the Sahara, and that is causing more hurricanes and wierd weather. (The weather channel regular broadcasting.)
Quite interesting.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

Global warming is an undeniable fact BUT....it has happened before, as have ice ages and complete reversals in weather in different areas of the world.  It's cyclical and God alone decides the agenda.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,037 posts

One thing no one in climate change fields has ever told me is what is considered normal. Greenland was not ice covered back in the times of the vikings. It was ... green. So what is normal? Greenland back when it was green? Or now that it is ice covered? And if it was normal then, why are we upset over it getting warmer? If it is normal now (or 50 yrs ago), then obviously its not man caused since mankind of that time did not have the emissions they are so upset about now.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Ayin.....   what is normal is change.....

There are built in mechanisms that compensate for the changes.....

I think the fear of those who are really serious about climate and not just the political people are concerned that the actions of mankind might idadvertantly push the climate past a correction point.    And I would assume that it is possible, but who could know what that point is.......     and with the political people pushing the envelope to everything to absurdity, how can any of us trust anyone to know.......     do we want to destroy civilization to stop some runaway global catastrophe that is very unlikely to happen.......    but in reality theoretically remotely possible.

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Apparently the UN is pushing the GW thing and so is every other one who wants a globalist name.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

Apparently the UN is pushing the GW thing and so is every other one who wants a globalist name.

Al Gore turned a 15 year old fear from a small group of scientists into a global financial and political tool, and all the powers that be seem to be trying to use that tool for advancing their agenda's.      Atenda's that really don't pertain to global warming.

It so obvious now that they are changing their terms to Global Climate Change...    It appears to me that a very large part of our citizenry are not paying attention to the dangers of what they are doing.

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
When I taught Earth Science decades ago, we had a motto: "The only constant is change," but Kaku's ice bucket analogy treats the North Pole like the ceiling of a celestial room where warm air rises, forcing colder air to the "floor" of the South Pole.

It's not only bad science, IMO it's "condescending".

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

Global warming is an undeniable fact BUT....it has happened before, as have ice ages and complete reversals in weather in different areas of the world.  It's cyclical and God alone decides the agenda.

Anthropogenic Global warming is the point in question. You're right about Global warming or Global cooling for that matter, they're both parts of periodic cycles - but can Man affect it? I doubt it.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

When I taught Earth Science decades ago, we had a motto: "The only constant is change," but Kaku's ice bucket analogy treats the North Pole like the ceiling of a celestial room where warm air rises, forcing colder air to the "floor" of the South Pole.

It's not only bad science, IMO it's "condescending".

You're right. These people are clutching at straws. They don't convince me.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

Anthropogenic Global warming is the point in question. You're right about Global warming or Global cooling for that matter, they're both parts of periodic cycles - but can Man affect it? I doubt it.

I have my doubts as well, WW. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,012 posts

I think we have much more to be concerned about with the things happening in and on the sun...   Our magnetosphere is doing some really weird things over the past three years and that may have something to do with the volcanoes acting up.  I have a friend who lives in Standpoint Idaho who monitors what's going on at Yellowstone National Park and there are unusual things coming and going there.    There are things changing in the earth that can and probably are having much more effects than man has.   Then we visited LA a month or so ago......    that makes one wonder if we might not just destroy ourselves with cars and trucks.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,886 posts

It's not only bad science, IMO it's "condescending"

:thumbsup:

:24: :24: :24:

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,078 posts

There are three ways of looking at this - all of which conclude with a fourth:

1/ Man-made Global warming is a hoax, championed by Marxists, do-gooders and ne'er-do-wells. In which case don't worry about it.

2/ Man-made Global warming is true, but we've already tried our best to stop it, so why should we continue to try - with our stupid wind farms that do nothing except kill birds, and especially when industrialised countries like China are creating a bigger carbon footprint than anybody else?

We can only stop it when the whole World tries to stop it and in the meantime we should not be made to feel guilty for no longer trying.

If the climate warms up - we'll adapt, we always do.

3/ Man-made Global warming is true and it's too late for us to do anything about it. Stop worrying. We'll adapt to it, we always do.

Ultimately:

4/ God controls the ultimate destiny of the Earth, not us. Whatever catastrophes climate change may cause will be a picnic compared to the Tribulation. Let's stop worshipping Gaia and start worshipping God.

Cobalt1959

Cobalt1959

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Al Gore turned a 15 year old fear from a small group of scientists into a global financial and political tool, and all the powers that be seem to be trying to use that tool for advancing their agenda's.      Atenda's that really don't pertain to global warming.

It so obvious now that they are changing their terms to Global Climate Change...    It appears to me that a very large part of our citizenry are not paying attention to the dangers of what they are doing.

This.

The only two reasons they are pushing the Global Warming Wagon is political agenda and monetary gain.  We all know why Al Gore was pushing it.  Financial gain.  The global community is pushing it hard because they want political control over everything and using the scare tactic of a human-based destruction of the climate as fear monger is something they think might be fruitful.

The picture is very big and it is hard to see the entire thing unless you step way, way back and look at the whole thing.  You have a large segment of people like the Oprah worshipers preaching a dogma of the "god within" and if we all work towards a common goal of peace and understanding and unity, then the world will become steadily better.  If that were possible, just in the time that has elapsed since Jesus' Resurrection, then the planet would have become noticeably better.  Just since the Enlightenment, it would have become noticeably better.  But it hasn't, nor will it.  It will continue to deteriorate morally, economically, and spiritually.  Economic catastrophe is just around the corner and with it famine, war, disease and chaos.  World authorities know this and they are looking for anything to blame for it, and anything they can do to at least postpone it in some way.  And the only way that can be done is through a centralizing of power, a surrender of individual sovereignty, and a large reduction in population.  America is already past the tipping point, financially.  You now have over half the country subsisting off of what the rest pay in taxes by working.  And you have a government overspending that money at unprecedented levels.  That is not sustainable.  If the population continues to mushroom, you will no longer have enough food to feed them, or other resources to provide.  Infrastructures are not maintained and on the verge of collapse.  Our power grid is hanging on by a thread.  There are not enough police or National Guard forces to re-establish order in this country in the event of a major catastrophe.  If the dollar fails, everything else in this country fails along with it in rapid succession.  And if the dollar fails, that triggers major problems with the world economy.  We are riding on a run-away train and their are plenty of people who know it.

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

The jet stream is flowing further south than what is usual.  My opinion, let it keep moving south, The equator could use some of that cool air.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

Anyone know what the Jet Stream has been doing over Europe and Asia?

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network