christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The myth of ‘settled science’ (Global Warming)

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts
  • Interests:Worship dance
    Outdoors
    Earth and Space Science

The myth of ‘settled science’

By Charles Krauthammer, Published: February 20

Washington Post

I repeat: I’m not a global warming believer. I’m not a global warming denier. I’ve long believed that it cannot be good for humanity to be spewing tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. I also believe that those scientists who pretend to know exactly what this will cause in 20, 30 or 50 years are white-coated propagandists.

“The debate is settled,” asserted propagandist in chief Barack Obama in his latest State of the Union address. “Climate change is a fact.” Really? There is nothing more anti-scientific than the very idea that science is settled, static, impervious to challenge. Take a non-climate example. . . .

<snip>

Settled? Even Britain’s national weather service concedes there’s been no change — delicately called a “pause” — in global temperature in 15 years. If even the raw data is recalcitrant, let alone the assumptions and underlying models, how settled is the science?

But even worse than the pretense of settledness is the cynical attribution of any politically convenient natural disaster to climate change, a clever term that allows you to attribute anything — warming and cooling, drought and flood — to man’s sinful carbon burning.

Accordingly, Obama ostentatiously visited drought-stricken California last Friday. Surprise! He blamed climate change. Here even the New York Times gagged, pointing out that far from being supported by the evidence, “the most recent computer projections suggest that as the world warms, California should get wetter, not drier, in the winter.”

Read the full write-up here

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, history

Anthropogenic Global warming is riddled with propaganda. Even if only a small percentage of scientists disagree with it then the debate cannot be settled!

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts
  • Interests:Pursuing the fulfillment of the promise that I have been given power to become one of the sons of God.
Our global environment is directly proportional and related to the sin of mankind. The earth was cursed by God to destroy us if we became incorrectably vial. It cannot deny God. Why spend time arguing the science behind how it is preparing to destroy man? God protects those whom he chooses in whatever manner he chooses.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,572 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

Our global environment is directly proportional and related to the sin of mankind. The earth was cursed by God to destroy us if we became incorrectably vial. It cannot deny God. Why spend time arguing the science behind how it is preparing to destroy man? God protects those whom he chooses in whatever manner he chooses.

interesting concept...    pondering.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,026 posts
  • Interests:Who is Jesus to you?

The ground was cursed. I dont see how the earth is preparing to destroy us. You make the earth sound like a living being.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,946 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

I must of missed that passage in scripture ... can you provide a reference so I can read about this?

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts
    Outdoors
    Earth and Space Science

I must of missed that passage in scripture ... can you provide a reference so I can read about this?

I cannot recall the exact wording to find the reference but I recall a passage in the OT somewhere about the land of Canaan spewing out the Canaanites because of their evil.

Oh, wait, I found it -

Lev. 18

26 'But as for you, you are to keep My statutes and My judgments and shall not do any of these abominations, neither the native, nor the alien who sojourns among you 27 (for the men of the land who have been before you have done all these abominations, and the land has become defiled ); 28 so that the land will not spew you out, should you defile it, as it has spewed out the nation which has been before you.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts
  • Interests:Pursuing the fulfillment of the promise that I have been given power to become one of the sons of God.

Hi Alan. There is no simple verse or passage to point to and I think you may have known that when you formulated your question. It is a meaty discussion. It is developed much in the same way as other concepts like the trinity. Nebula hit on the Cainan verse above. There are many more things throughout the scriptures that led to my conclusion but the depth of discussion necessary to flesh out the matter would probably require a thread of its own at a minimum and I doubt it would get to far before being locked.

I confess that all that which I believe I have been led to believe from either within or without and none of it impervious to error. I could be wrong. God knows.

Some concepts are hard to be understood and I can be quite thick. In the end I need a reasonable explanation for that which happens around me that does not contradict the written word. This is the best I have so far.

Carnal science uses human reasoning to judge, sort and identify the world around us through the interpretation of what is seen. Biblical scientists go one step further to using the bible as a basis for understanding but in the end we still are left in a place such as trying to understand how God is sovereign yet his creatures have free will. It is the marriage of two seemingly opposing issues that must be harmonized.

Peace my friend.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

I cannot recall the exact wording to find the reference but I recall a passage in the OT somewhere about the land of Canaan spewing out the Canaanites because of their evil.

Oh, wait, I found it -

Lev. 18

26 'But as for you, you are to keep My statutes and My judgments and shall not do any of these abominations, neither the native, nor the alien who sojourns among you 27 (for the men of the land who have been before you have done all these abominations, and the land has become defiled ); 28 so that the land will not spew you out, should you defile it, as it has spewed out the nation which has been before you.

Yeah, but that is not pertaining to climate or the environment.   It is a manner of speaking and in a broader context is talking about the judgment of God on the Canaanites in verses 24-25

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts
    Outdoors
    Earth and Space Science
Yeah, but that is not pertaining to climate or the environment.   It is a manner of speaking and in a broader context is talking about the judgment of God on the Canaanites in verses 24-25

What do you understand "the land will not spew you out" to mean? 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

What do you understand "the land will not spew you out" to mean? 

It tells you wnat means in the previous verses. It refers to God's judgment on them.  The land spewing them out is connected in the previous verses with God driving the Canaanites out.  The land was cursed by God.  It wasn't environment that got rid of the Canaanites.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts
Shiloh357 has made a good point with his argument. At this time I do not have an answer. Thank you for bringing it up.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

There is a depth to this topic that cannot be easily dismissed or proven which makes it relatively controversial and biased by personal opinion.  

I must consider the whole of what I know about God and his creation when considering these in depth unanswerable to complete satisfaction type questions.  

I went back to consider what Shiloh357 had said and the context of the text and have concluded for myself that it agrees that the affects of the sin of the people affect the way that God causes the earth itself to deal with the inhabitants of the land.  There is no valid reason I can find to determine that the environment itself is not affected though the Israelites themselves killed much of the people of the land in war as well.  

That said, there are many things that I take into consideration when trying to work out such a great topic as this one, knowing full well how easily I can fall into error due to the limitations of my own being.  Something that has helped me to grasp a better understanding of these types of things is a study I have done trying to understand the 'pun' in 'punish'.  Sin and Punishment are directly related one to another as seen in Genesis where Cain says 'my punishment is greater than I can bear'.  The word translated 'punishment' in the KJV is the same word translated 'sin' elsewhere.

I took time to consider the punishment and the crime from the beginning to the end of the bible and the study was both amazing and revealing.  I suggest such a study to anyone who desires to continue to shape their understanding about how this whole thing works.  

The Global Warming trend that I am seeing is the heating up of the hostility of kingdom against kingdom and nation against nation.

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Revising the ASV (1901). Here I typically post the ASV (1901), perhaps modernized by myself ("He goes" for "He goeth.")

There is a depth to this topic that cannot be easily dismissed or proven which makes it relatively controversial and biased by personal opinion.  

I must consider the whole of what I know about God and his creation when considering these in depth unanswerable to complete satisfaction type questions.  

I went back to consider what Shiloh357 had said and the context of the text and have concluded for myself that it agrees that the affects of the sin of the people affect the way that God causes the earth itself to deal with the inhabitants of the land.  There is no valid reason I can find to determine that the environment itself is not affected though the Israelites themselves killed much of the people of the land in war as well.  

That said, there are many things that I take into consideration when trying to work out such a great topic as this one, knowing full well how easily I can fall into error due to the limitations of my own being.  Something that has helped me to grasp a better understanding of these types of things is a study I have done trying to understand the 'pun' in 'punish'.  Sin and Punishment are directly related one to another as seen in Genesis where Cain says 'my punishment is greater than I can bear'.  The word translated 'punishment' in the KJV is the same word translated 'sin' elsewhere.

I took time to consider the punishment and the crime from the beginning to the end of the bible and the study was both amazing and revealing.  I suggest such a study to anyone who desires to continue to shape their understanding about how this whole thing works.  

The Global Warming trend that I am seeing is the heating up of the hostility of kingdom against kingdom and nation against nation.

Of course the Lord sends the rain on the just & on the unjust.  One theory is that since nations do not have spirits, like individuals do, they are not judges after resurrection, but in real time history.

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Revising the ASV (1901). Here I typically post the ASV (1901), perhaps modernized by myself ("He goes" for "He goeth.")

Well, what happened to global warming this winter?  Now I understand today's ice as part of the

"March comes in as a lion,

& goes out as a lamb"

--Hezekiah 9:6

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Well, what happened to global warming this winter? Now I understand today's ice as part of the

& goes out as a lamb"

Hezekiah 9:6?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,572 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

this winter is he result of the Jet Stream.....    it's not acting normal this year...

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Well, what happened to global warming this winter? Now I understand today's ice as part of the

& goes out as a lamb"

Hezekiah 9:6

You aren't familiar with the Book of Hezekiah?

I asked a cultist who knocked on my door what she thought of the Book of Hezekiah, & as the Bible expert that she was, she began to hold forth on it.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts
    Outdoors
    Earth and Space Science

Well, what happened to global warming this winter?

Apparently, oddly, the entire global temperature was considered the warmest January on record.
:hmmm:

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts
    Outdoors
    Earth and Space Science

& goes out as a lamb"

Translation: He's pulling your leg.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network