christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

God as husband

* * * * * 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Is it wrong to regard God as your husband? (Single females of course)

There seems to be a few schools of thought.

I always thought it was ok because of what Scripture says but I read somewhere the other day that one really shouldn't.

So....?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,665 posts

I don't think God offers himself to women that way anywhere in Scripture.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

Shiloh, I'm not talking about in that human physical sense.

Eg: Hosea/Isaiah

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

Isaiah 54:5 - "For your husband is your Maker, Whose name is the LORD of hosts ; And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel, Who is called the God of all the earth.

This was a corporate word to Israel, not a personal word.

That said, men and women who were married earlier in life (and still married) really cannot understand what it is like to be a single woman. We have a strong need for a protector, provider, lover. Without that, we feel vulnerable - for lack of a better word I can think of. Even women who are self-sustaining and all - unless they are ultra-feminists - crave that sense of security.

If God can be the "father to the fatherless", why can He not be the "husband to the husband-less"?

After all, Jesus is called our Bridegroom. Yes, it is corporate to the "Church", but does He not give to us love, protection, provision, security? No, it's not the same as the physical presence, but we still find this in Him.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

The only people I know of that look at God as their husband are nuns.  I don't see what the purpose would be in it, and then, what happens if a woman decides to marry later on? 

Tazcontrol

Tazcontrol
  • Members
  • 90 posts

I don't see any problem with a single woman referring to God as her protector. That is what He is right? The ultimate protector and the ultimate counselor. He wants us to rely more on him when we are single male or female. The goal is if she puts God first in her life and she marries, that her and her husband can put God in the center of their marriage. Some people don't feel called to be married. So what if they don't? Christ is the almighty God and Father, Who is better to follow than our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

I feel its up to the person, I personally would tend to look at God as my Father, and not a husband form, but that's just me.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

God told Israel as a nation that He was their husband.  There is a spiritual principal and not a literal one that I can see.

I remember discussions in one forum (not this one) where someone thought Jesus was their 'boyfriend'   :huh:  and that went on for pages and pages

I don't think Jesus is our boyfriend and I don't think that God is our husband.  God the Father...as Father, wouldn't he care for single women AND everyone else?

Just my thoughts...

Why would someone consider God as husband...I find that uncomfortable...I don't think it so...Father on the other hand, seems to provide the same care with a different picture

and yes, many nuns do consider themselves 'married' as they have taken vows for celibacy....and even wear a gold ring on their left hand...when I was single, I never thought God was or wanted

to be my husband.  I think that application is a misunderstanding from the OT

As Father, God cares for a married couple also...how does it make sense that God would be someone's husband and then if they get married, what?  They divorce God?

Not meaning to be sarcastic and I can see how that might come across that way, but I find no logic (or scripture) in the idea God is a husband to single women

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Blessings HisG!

Personally ,my relationship with God is as Father & Daughter but I do consider Him to be my everything,which would include Husband (as we are Christs Radiant Bride)but I do not think this is meant only for women without a husband but rather as a Body of believers,the Body of Christ..........when a man & a woman marry they become one flesh just as "we"(Christs Body ,His Church) are One with Him & He is our Head

I do not see anything wrong with anyone looking at their relationship with God as their Husband............after all,our relationship with our Father in Heaven is the most Perfect ,Intimate relationship we can ever hope to  have,,,,,,,,thank You Jesus!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,665 posts

Shiloh, I'm not talking about in that human physical sense.

Eg: Hosea/Isaiah

I realize that.  But God presents Himself to us as Father, Redeemer, Savior, Lord, King, Judge, Guardian, Healer, Shepherd, Provider, Friend, and Creator.  Those are the general ways God has chosen to relate to us as human beings.   Even on a spiritual or redemptive level, God never relates to human beings personally as "husband."

God did call himself the "husband" of Israel, but it was on a corporate level.  He was talking about His relationship with that nation and imagery of marriage conveyed to them just how serious God was about how he would relate them nationally.

Openly Curious

Openly Curious

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

I always thought it was ok because of what Scripture says but I read somewhere the other day that one really shouldn't.

So....?

I do not think it is wrong to regard God as your husband.  I too was reminded of the scripture that Nebula posted from the book of Isaiah.  There are widows that have lost there husbands and I often pray that God would be a husband to them.  It is no different in my opinion for women to look to God in this fashion.  Because our Heavenly Father God is everything we need him to be to us especially through his Son Jesus Christ.  He is love, our helper in times of trouble, our redeemer and Lord, our rear guard, our elder brother, our comforter, our teacher, our guide, our light in a dark world, a friend and Our Provider or etc., (even husband) we need him to be.    

Jeremiah 3:14 - Turn, O backsliding children, saith the Lord; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion.

In this one verse alone the Lord is addressing himself as both a Heavenly Father to his children to return to him.  And you have the Heavenly Father addressing himself as a husband being married to Israel his children.  The Lord is our Provider and knows entricately what each of us need individually in this life and we must trust him to be what we need in our lives.  So within in this vein I do not think it is wrong to look to the Lord as a husband.  Because as Nebula also said our security whether male or female lies solely in God. 

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Gal 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

How can one marry or consider to be married to non-female or non-male.

John 15:14-15

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
It seems he want male and female as a friend not a wife.

Matt 21:40
40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen?
I believe when God spoke of being a husband to Israel it was meant in this respect.
The husband of the vineyard does everything the vineyard needs to flourish except provide
rain. A human husband does the same for his human wife except provide Savior that she must do for herself.
I may be way off base here so if I am, then I apologize.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Thanks to all who have posted -

One more thing :) .......

The Song of Solomon,

?

We can take that many ways?

An ode to a loving human romantic relationship

Christ and the Church

God and His people

??

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
It maybe quite acceptable to view them as all 3. Interchangeable.

Or is there danger in doing so?

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts
God is spirit. God ultimately is husband which is to say he is what bands the house or home together. Many of references in the bible we read husband actually just say man. Much of this regaurds relationship more than anything. Woman is physically made in the image of man equipped to be come in unto where man is made in the image of God and comes in unto a woman. Descriptions are given to help us understand relationship or how one relates to another.

In a spitirual sense God is a man and womans husband who spiritually comes in unto them both and binds them together as one. We may tend to feel weird about this way of talking of we are too carnal in our thinking.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

God is spirit. God ultimately is husband which is to say he is what bands the house or home together. Many of references in the bible we read husband actually just say man. Much of this regaurds relationship more than anything. Woman is physically made in the image of man equipped to be come in unto where man is made in the image of God and comes in unto a woman. Descriptions are given to help us understand relationship or how one relates to another.

In a spitirual sense God is a man and womans husband who spiritually comes in unto them both and binds them together as one. We may tend to feel weird about this way of talking of we are too carnal in our thinking.

num...I disagree.  Truly, I don't think anyone is being carnal.  What I do see, is that people are trying to understand scripture.

Hi Gary...nice to see you.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

num...I disagree. Truly, I don't think anyone is being carnal. What I do see, is that people are trying to understand scripture.

Hi Gary...nice to see you.

As always feel free to disagree. When I say thinking to carnal I mean literally by the basic five senses. Jesus said we must eat his flesh and drink his blood. Those who thought carnally were offended in him.

Nice to see you too sister L

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

eeeyup.  I know that is what you meant.

well honestly, I can see why someone might be offended at what they thought was a cannabalistic statement, but husband?  I think if one would think along those lines carnally (as you put it)

one would not even ask if it was OK to think of God that way

well...guess I will leave the floor open for others... :sneaking:

Mr.Patrick

Mr.Patrick
  • Members
  • 12 posts

So....?

Hello, 

I like your question. It's not only for women, it also applies to men. God has no gender, neither our souls. The spiritual idea here like you said ( not physical) is that we share with God  a very intimate and close relationship. We can be completely naked, inside and outside before him, and feel accepted. He knows everything about us. The word husband does not satisfy or meets the reality, because he is more than that to you. He is in you, ahead of you, dying to love you. And I'm in formation for priesthood, I do pray I always share that type of relationship with God. As you are well aware of the first commandment: To love God with all your heart. 

Openly Curious

Openly Curious

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

So....?

Hello, 

I like your question. It's not only for women, it also applies to men. God has no gender, neither our souls. The spiritual idea here like you said ( not physical) is that we share with God  a very intimate and close relationship. We can be completely naked, inside and outside before him, and feel accepted. He knows everything about us. The word husband does not satisfy or meets the reality, because he is more than that to you. He is in you, ahead of you, dying to love you. And I'm in formation for priesthood, I do pray I always share that type of relationship with God. As you are well aware of the first commandment: To love God with all your heart. 

Very well put  :thumbsup:

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network