christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Animals before the fall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
237 replies to this topic

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Do you think it was common for animals to talk to humans prior to the fall?   It is not recorded that Eve was surprised by the serpent talking to her.  It seems that if animals didn't talk that a talking serpent would have been an odd thing.    Also, Adam met with each of the animals to give them a name and to see if they were suitable for his helper.  Is it conceivable that he was able to speak to them during this meeting time?

Thought about this today and wanted to get some other opinions.

Sheniy

Sheniy

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

This makes me think of Narnia. :D

Interesting theory. Balaam's donkey also spoke, so maybe it was an ability they had previously?

Since they don't seem to be able to speak physically, how about some sort of telepathic or empathic communication?  I swear my dog tries to speak to me mentally. She just stares....and stares...and somehow I find myself handing her a dog biscuit. :laugh:

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

If it was not recorded in the Bible I do not except it.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Just depends on what ancient man could imagine.  They could claim anything.

While we might agree on some things, it seems our view of the Bible is not the same.  The Bible is the Word of God and not the imagination of ancient men.  If you don't believe the Bible is the word of God, why even believe there is a God?

a-seeker

a-seeker

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Do you think it was common for animals to talk to humans prior to the fall?   It is not recorded that Eve was surprised by the serpent talking to her.  It seems that if animals didn't talk that a talking serpent would have been an odd thing.    Also, Adam met with each of the animals to give them a name and to see if they were suitable for his helper.  Is it conceivable that he was able to speak to them during this meeting time?

Why must the story be literal?  Why can't it be taken as an inspired myth or fable?

clb

Enoch2021

Enoch2021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

================================================================================================

Nachash can mean "Shining One":  http://www.bibleunde...com/serpent.htm

(2 Corinthians 11:14) "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light."

(Ezekiel 28:13) "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created."

All those stones refract Light

Not tied to it, found it interesting.

a-seeker

a-seeker

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

================================================================================================

Nachash can mean "Shining One":  http://www.bibleunde...com/serpent.htm

(2 Corinthians 11:14) "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light."

(Ezekiel 28:13) "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created."

All those stones refract Light

Not tied to it, found it interesting.

Hmmm.  I am really not sure how this is remotely relevant to the question.  I know you said it wasn't tied to it; but I assumed they were tied at least a little to the question.

Not an insult to you: my guess is I am missing the connection.  Please explain.

clb

Enoch2021

Enoch2021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Hmmm.  I am really not sure how this is remotely relevant to the question.  I know you said it wasn't tied to it; but I assumed they were tied at least a little to the question.

clb

=============================================================================

How about these statements in the OP:

It is not recorded that Eve was surprised by the serpent talking to her.

It seems that if animals didn't talk that a talking serpent would have been an odd thing.

It may not have been a SERPENT/SNAKE talking to her.

Help?

See the relevance now?

a-seeker

a-seeker

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

clb

It seems that if animals didn't talk that a talking serpent would have been an odd thing.

Help?

See the relevance now?

Why would it describe it as a serpent?

clb

Enoch2021

Enoch2021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

clb

List the descriptors?

Sheniy

Sheniy

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

clb

Help?

See the relevance now?

Wait...so we don't need to take that part of Genesis as literal?

So why is it that "serpent" might not mean a literal animal, but "day" MUST mean a literal 24 hour period?

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Enoch,  Interesting ideas.  I would say on the surface that it is these verses that make me think it was just an animal...

Gen 3;1 now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?  

This verse would seem to indicate it was one of the beast that God had made.

Gen 3: 14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

And this one as well.  But it is something that bears further research.  Thanks for the alternative view.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

clb

Help?

See the relevance now?

So why is it that "serpent" might not mean a literal animal, but "day" MUST mean a literal 24 hour period?

Now that is a good question.

Enoch2021

Enoch2021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

==============================================================

Wait so......R U Kiddin with this? 

It is Literal Sheniy....it's the Hebrew Word Nachash.  YOM turns out to mean "DAY"

Did Jonah stay in the Belly of the great Fish for 3 "DAYS"  or 3 Billion Years?

Did the Israelite's March around Jericho once each day for 7 days or once each day for 7 Thousand/Billion Years??

Enoch2021

Enoch2021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

This does not surprise me @ all

Enoch2021

Enoch2021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Enoch,  Interesting ideas.  I would say on the surface that it is these verses that make me think it was just an animal...

Gen 3;1 now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?  

This verse would seem to indicate it was one of the beast that God had made.

Gen 3: 14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

And this one as well.  But it is something that bears further research.  Thanks for the alternative view.

Yes but..................

This is telling me he can transform @ will. 

And that Ezekiel passage is very very interesting....especially in Eden and all.

Like I said, I'm not tied to it.

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

==============================================================

Wait so......R U Kiddin with this? 

It is Literal Sheniy....it's the Hebrew Word Nachash.  YOM turns out to mean "DAY"

Did Jonah stay in the Belly of the great Fish for 3 "DAYS"  or 3 Billion Years?

Did the Israelite's March around Jericho once each day for 7 days or once each day for 7 Thousand/Billion Years??

You do know that the same word "yom" has many other meanings and uses than just a 24 hour period in the bible?  right?  Going by this view you seem to be putting forth we have to consider them all to be 24 hour periods. 

Gen 2:4...These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day (yom) that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens

so, which 24 hour period is this use of yom referring to.

a-seeker

a-seeker

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

clb

List the descriptors?

Uhh.. Look at the Hebrew.

Your point is that Satan turned himself into a Serpent.  That doesn't alter the problem.  WE have a snake talking and Eve is not surprised. If Satan possessed my parents' cat and it started talking, I would still be extremely surprised.  And if I knew nothing about Satan or possessions, I would have NO EXPLANATION.

clb

Enoch2021

Enoch2021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

You do know that the same word "yom" has many other meanings and uses than just a 24 hour period in the bible?  right?  Going by this view you seem to be putting forth we have to consider them all to be 24 hour periods. 

Gen 2:4...These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day (yom) that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens

so, which 24 hour period is this use of yom referring to.

=======================================================================

Go back and review the past 30-80 OP's you'll find my answer in there about 100-200 times (I'm low-balling)

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

This does not surprise me @ all

It should not, I am big fan of consistency and this seems a bit inconsistent.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network