christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Author cracks code to Noah’s Ark puzzles?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
from the New York Post:

"With Russell Crowe steering Hollywood’s latest version of the Noah’s Ark tale into theaters this week, what better time than to pose some philosophical questions. Such as why didn’t the leopards eat the cows? Or what genius invited the mosquitos on board?

"Those mysteries may be forever unanswerable, but a new book by British Museum curator Irving Finkel seeks to find the provenance of the ark tale — and the 'real' Noah. He points to the flood stories of the Sumerian and Babylonian civilizations of Mesopotamia thousands of years earlier. And Finkel’s got the unearthed tablets to prove it ..."

http://nypost.com/20...hs-ark-puzzles/

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

from the New York Post:

"With Russell Crowe steering Hollywood’s latest version of the Noah’s Ark tale into theaters this week, what better time than to pose some philosophical questions. Such as why didn’t the leopards eat the cows? Or what genius invited the mosquitos on board?

"Those mysteries may be forever unanswerable, but a new book by British Museum curator Irving Finkel seeks to find the provenance of the ark tale — and the 'real' Noah. He points to the flood stories of the Sumerian and Babylonian civilizations of Mesopotamia thousands of years earlier. And Finkel’s got the unearthed tablets to prove it ..."

It is only speculation on his part.Is it in Scripture?Then I will not believe it.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

seeing as his description of the ark is not the Biblical description, id say he was off-the ark of the Bible was not round and made of gopher wood-not reeds. I can nitpick some more but thats enough to discredit this guy right there.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,472 posts

I have always thought that the worldwide flood myths, and there are many around the world, are residual stories passed down from noahs descendents. Although like the childs game of telephone, the stories told outside the bible are a bit garbled.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

I agree with you jade, as well as that part of the article-but his opinion of what the ark looked like is kinda far fetched. (I also think a lot of legends had roots like that-such as the similarities between samson and hercules)

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,472 posts

his opinion of what the ark looked like is kinda far fetched. 

Definitely off, I agree.

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

from the New York Post:

It is only speculation on his part.Is it in Scripture?Then I will not believe it.

His claim is that it predates scripture.

"The author’s big splash with this book, at least among archeologists (or even 'Ark-eologists' as those who search for remnants of Noah’s vessel are called), is the revelation of an artifact Finkel has named the 'Ark Tablet' and which he claims are directions to building an ark.

"No bigger than an early cellphone and consisting of 60 lines, the Ark Tablet was written in the Old Babylonian period of broadly 1900-1700 BC. Scientific consensus puts the Torah’s Noah tale between 538-332 BC. Finkel flatly states the 'cuneiform flood literature is by a millennium the older of the two, however one dates the biblical text.'"

My sources date Genesis from about 2000 to 1500 BC, which would make the Ark Tablet account almost contemporary with it.
But does anyone have a separate date for the Noah story?

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network