christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

On the Wstboro Baptist Church

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
I know it’s a bit late, but as I’m sure that many of you are aware, the Westboro Baptist Church’s leader, Fred Phelps, is dead. Now, I know that a lot of you, especially in the secular world and even fellow Christians are rejoicing at his death. But it is a sin to mock someone when they are dead, no matter how much evil they have done during their lifetime. Not even Hitler deserved to be mocked when he died. Why? Because we are all human and make mistakes and should not judge a brother or sister -which we all are- because we ourselves are at fault. I know I’d be the first to say that I am a sinner before God, and would not judge anyone. Jesus says in Mt 5:22 “But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgement.” And that is what I tell you today brothers and sisters, do not hold a grudge against this man who has said many harmful things in his life, and pray for his soul that during the last few moments of his life, he will have found that all that he has been saying about gays, picketing funerals and the like were wrong, harmful and sinful and that he turned to God with a clean heart.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,902 posts

I know it’s a bit late, but as I’m sure that many of you are aware, the Westboro Baptist Church’s leader, Fred Phelps, is dead. Now, I know that a lot of you, especially in the secular world and even fellow Christians are rejoicing at his death. But it is a sin to mock someone when they are dead, no matter how much evil they have done during their lifetime. Not even Hitler deserved to be mocked when he died. Why? Because we are all human and make mistakes and should not judge a brother or sister -which we all are- because we ourselves are at fault. I know I’d be the first to say that I am a sinner before God, and would not judge anyone. Jesus says in Mt 5:22 “But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgement.” And that is what I tell you today brothers and sisters, do not hold a grudge against this man who has said many harmful things in his life, and pray for his soul that during the last few moments of his life, he will have found that all that he has been saying about gays, picketing funerals and the like were wrong, harmful and sinful and that he turned to God with a clean heart.

Where have any of us rejoiced at his death?

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

Who is Fred Phelps.

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Not any of you, I'm just putting this out there and seeing what you guys think. Should have said that first.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,902 posts

Who is Fred Phelps.

He was the "pastor" of that "church."

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

I'll pull out a sentence from your post- 'Not even Hitler deserved to be mocked when he died. Why? Because we are all human and make mistakes and should not judge a brother or sister -which we all are

I'll start by saying, I do not beliee we are all brothers and sisters. From a Christian perspective, a brother or sister is a person of like Spirit. I would not call Hitler a brother, because he was not a physical/genetic brother. And unless he repented and accepted Jesus before he died, in life, he did not show any fruit of the spirit, or in any speach, confess Jesus as his Lord.

For Hitler, who did such huge attrocities, those whom Hitler abused, sometimes did mock him as a part of the healing process. While I would agree that we should not mock those who have departed, some of the departed leave a lot of wounded victoms behind. And mocking helps the victoms who are living.

I don't disagree with your sentiment in general. Just, we are not all brothers and sisters with all people, and maybe Hitler was not a good example. (A sample of mocking Hitler can be seen in a movie called The Producers by Mel Brooks. It was considered a big step toward healing, as the abused can laugh at their tormenter rather then hang their heads or hide in fear).   

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

What I think?  Seriously?

I think that this op sounds horribly judgmental on so many levels.

What I know?  "For God so loved the world" and that means me, you and Phelps.  Amen  

In case you need a reminder of LOVE -

Look below and read.

Peace to you,

Prair

John 3:16-17

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 

17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,659 posts

Hitler was not/is not my brother in any way shape or form.

Not that is for me to judge a murdering psychopath, God judges, but there is nothing wrong with feeling disgust, outrage and anger towards such a person and his deeds.

Do I hate him. No I don't know him. Do I hate what he did, what he perpetuated that still lives with us today?

You bet I do.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,812 posts

The only thing I could rejoice at is if his so called church disbanded and those within it found Christ. Otherwise I do not rejoice. And I hope phelps found Christ at the end too.

The lost are not brothers or sisters in Christ. See John 1:12 for that.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,902 posts

Not even Hitler deserved to be mocked when he died. Why? Because we are all human and make mistakes and should not judge a brother or sister -which we all are- because we ourselves are at fault.

I will add to what Qnts has said with this.   Hitler's persecution of the Jews was not a "mistake."   He did what he did with both eyes open.  Mistakes are things like, locking your keys in the car, or forgetting to turn off the iron before leaving the house.  Those are "mistakes."    Hitler was a blood thirsty monster and a psychopath and dont EVER call him a "brother."  That is highly offensive.   Don't ever try to put the rest of us on the same level as Hitler.

As for judging Hitler, he was already under the judgment of God.  I can judge what God has already judged and I can say without a doubt that Hitler is in hell and I don't shed a single tear over that fact.

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
While obviously I'm not defending Hitler in this and yes I could have used a much better example (he was the first example that came to mind), we all have to acknowledge that we are related to each other as we are all children of God as we were all created by him. Every. Human being. In. History was and is a child of God since He created us.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,107 posts

While obviously I'm not defending Hitler in this

and yes I could have used a much better example (he was the first example that came to mind),

we all have to acknowledge that we are related to each other as we are all children of God as we were all created by him.

Every. Human being. In.

History was

and is a child of God since He created us.

~

Some Proudly Say God Created Me This Way

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God:

for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:13-15

It Can't Be Sin, God Lies

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Romans 3:10-13

There Is No Hell

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. Mark 9:47-48

For Liars And Such

These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren. Proverbs 6:16-19

Yet God Says

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Matthew 5:18

All Have Sinned

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Romans 3:23

So Turn To The Jesus Of The Holy Bible

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Or Continue The World's Scoffing Death Spiral Into Perdition

If thou be wise, thou shalt be wise for thyself: but if thou scornest, thou alone shalt bear it.

A foolish woman is clamourous: she is simple, and knoweth nothing. For she sitteth at the door of her house, on a seat in the high places of the city, To call passengers who go right on their ways:

Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: and as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,

Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.

But he knoweth not that the dead are there;

and that her guests are in

the depths of hell. Proverbs 17:12-18

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

we all have to acknowledge that we are related to each other as we are all children of God as we were all created by him. Every. Human being. In. History was and is a child of God since He created us.

Yes we are all related to each other as in we are all human beings and descendants from Adam, but not everyone is a child of God. Creation and salvation or two different topics all together best. The world is separated into believers and nonbelievers. Either you're saved or not, holy spirit indwelled or not. You would have to ask for forgiveness of your sins and accept Jesus Christ into your heart, and God in return would have to forgive you. Only then you become a child of God. You seem to have trouble understanding this fact.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,812 posts

While obviously I'm not defending Hitler in this and yes I could have used a much better example (he was the first example that came to mind), we all have to acknowledge that we are related to each other as we are all children of God as we were all created by him. Every. Human being. In. History was and is a child of God since He created us.

The bible says otherwise. 

John 1

12 But as many as received Him, He gave to them authority to become the children of God, to those who believe on His name,
13 who were born, not of bloods, nor of the will of the flesh, nor ofthe will of man, but were born of God.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,902 posts

No, we are not all children of God.   The Bible says that only those who have been born again are God's children.  We are all God's creation, but we are NOT all His children.  You need to read your Bible.  The Bible makes a huge distinction between being a creation of God and being God's child. 

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

Not any of you, I'm just putting this out there and seeing what you guys think. Should have said that first.

It is sad.  I can be almost sure this man did not know Jesus We can only pray that at the end he found Christ...... I'm sad for the loss of a soul.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,659 posts

we have discussed this and as I remember the threads the major thoughts were to pray for him and his church.
I didn't see any harshness until this thread...

comparing Fred to Hitler ia absurd. Fred was a disturbed man confused but he was doing his best tp do what he himself thought God wanted done. While I greatly disagree with what he was doing, I would have to agree with him on the reasons he was doing it for..... but his actions were so misplaced it's hard to even speak of what he was doing.
If you don't know his history and why he was doing all this you should study up on it

alien224

alien224

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
Praying.... very sad

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,902 posts

Notice what you said in the bolded part in your OP:   You are just back peddling now since you made an unwarranted accusation.

Tolken

Tolken

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

I Cor. 5:12 - What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

The sad fact is that we live in an intellectually lazy world where it is much less onerous to simply place groupings of people under labeled umbrellas according to their politics, religious claims, etc.  Christians are judged not as individuals but by those "Christians" in the media forefront. So here is how Christians are represented:

*mr. phelps – “God hates fags”

*steven anderson - On August 16, Pastor Steven Anderson of Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe, Arizona, delivered a sermon titled "Why I Hate Barack Obama," in which he admitted that he prays for the president's death, a position he clarified recently. http://www.shortnews...rt.cfm?id=80495

*bryan fischer - the director of Issues Analysis for the fundamentalist American Family Association (AFA), on Wednesday defended the practice of gender discrimination, saying that God “designed” women — and not men — to be secretaries.

http://www.rawstory....nate-on-gender/

*wiley drake - Somehow, we here at Weekly HQ missed that the Rev. Wiley Drake of First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park not only declared last week that the murder of Kansas abortion Dr. George Tiller had been the answer to his "imprecatory" prayers, but that the so-called Man of God later announced he'd made a similar prayer of death for President Barack Obama.
http://blogs.ocweekl...prays-for-obam/

*Anti-Gay Harlem Pastor Defends 'Jesus Would Stone Homos' Sign

http://www.huffingto..._n_5021710.html

So add pat robertson, robert jeffress, creflo dollar, kenneth copeland, joel osteen, etc., etc....  When one claims to be a Christian probably you are put under the same umbrella as those listed above, and many others of the same ilk.

Ephesians 6:12 - Perhaps in the present circumstance we do, in a broader sense, struggle against "flesh and blood" by the distortion of Chrisitianity.

Edited by Tolken, 28 March 2014 - 08:28 AM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network