Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A tour of accents across the British Isles performed in a single, uned

52 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A tour of accents across the British Isles performed in a single, unedited take

April 3, 2014 | By Abraham

Professional accent and dialect coach Andrew Jack seamlessly switches between the various accents that are scattered across the UK, demonstrating the subtle distinctions between different varieties of English…

Click here

Posted · Report post

lol!! that was fun.Thanks for sharing it.It would be fun to have one of those for the U.S. Like the difference of the East coast VS the South and West Coast and the Mid West.They are all very different.

Posted · Report post

lol!! that was fun.Thanks for sharing it.It would be fun to have one of those for the U.S. Like the difference of the East coast VS the South and West Coast and the Mid West.They are all very different.

Seriously.

A couple guys I was with were joking a bit about their differences - one from MD and the other from TX. In the Baltimore, MD region people shorten a 2 or 3 syllable word down to one syllable, while in TX they stretch a one syllable word into 2 or 3 syllables!

Or someone else I heard noted how in Boston people lose their "r"s ("Pa'k the ca' in the pa'king lot"), but those "r"s are recovered in the South (where everything goes down in the "warsh").

Posted · Report post

Seriously.

A couple guys I was with were joking a bit about their differences - one from MD and the other from TX. In the Baltimore, MD region people shorten a 2 or 3 syllable word down to one syllable, while in TX they stretch a one syllable word into 2 or 3 syllables!

Or someone else I heard noted how in Boston people lose their "r"s ("Pa'k the ca' in the pa'king lot"), but those "r"s are recovered in the South (where everything goes down in the "warsh").

It is even different within New York.What is interesting is that I have had several people ask me what part of the East Coast I am from.I have never been to the East Coast.I do not know where I picked it up from.

Posted · Report post

A tour of accents across the British Isles performed in a single, unedited take

April 3, 2014 | By Abraham

Professional accent and dialect coach Andrew Jack seamlessly switches between the various accents that are scattered across the UK, demonstrating the subtle distinctions between different varieties of English…

Click here

Towards the end of the video,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the Welsh sound a bit drunk  :24:

LadyP might have something to say about that  :taped:

Posted · Report post

Towards the end of the video,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the Welsh sound a bit drunk  :24:

Maybe she's from the Northern part?

Posted · Report post

Maybe she's from the Northern part?

I'm not going to give her location away. 

After all she did send me sometime ago a CD " learn to speak "Wenglish"

She also has a large supply of mint sauce that she would throw at me .  :help:

Posted · Report post

I can verify the statement about vowels in Texas.

Accents and dialects have always fascinated me.  We got a new principal one year at school; he was from one of the northern states.  When he led the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom, he spoke so quickly in comparison that we couldn't keep up with him.

Posted · Report post

I can verify the statement about vowels in Texas.

Accents and dialects have always fascinated me.  We got a new principal one year at school; he was from one of the northern states.  When he led the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom, he spoke so quickly in comparison that we couldn't keep up with him.

As a Brit we have a lot of accents that probably sound similar to foreigners which is why I'm surprised that the U.S. has so many different accents. I thought that there were only about three - Southern drawl (Bible Belt, Dukes of Hazzard, JR Ewing sort of thing), New York (dis and dat), and the rest of the country.

Posted · Report post

I have heard some speak in varieties of English of those Isles, and found them incomprehensible.

Posted · Report post

I always get the British and the Australian accents mixed up.

Posted · Report post

I always get the British and the Australian accents mixed up.

shocked-face.jpg   culkin-shocked-face.png  shocked-face.jpg 

Shocked-Face.jpg

Posted · Report post

I have heard some speak in varieties of English of those Isles, and found them incomprehensible.

Where? Was that Scotland?

Posted · Report post

We-are-not-amused.jpg

Posted · Report post

winston_churchill.jpg    australian.jpg

WE ARE NOT AMUSED.

Posted · Report post

We-are-not-amused.jpg

You mean you are not putting me on ignore?

Posted · Report post

Of course not Bopeep, this is not the last thread.  :grin:

Posted · Report post

:headphones: There are some people here that are just asking to get into trouble ....NORTH indeed !!!!!!

Why on earth do people who do NOT understand the Welsh language and the correct cadancesz always sound as if they are drunk or simple minded ???? Ours is the language of Heaven and sounds like it ....one does NOT have an accent !!!

Posted · Report post

:headphones: There are some people here that are just asking to get into trouble ....NORTH indeed !!!!!!

Why on earth do people who do NOT understand the Welsh language and the correct cadancesz always sound as if they are drunk or simple minded ???? Ours is the language of Heaven and sounds like it ....one does NOT have an accent !!!

You just sing all the time :whistling:

Posted · Report post

... We got a new principal one year at school; he was from one of the northern states.  When he led the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom, he spoke so quickly in comparison that we couldn't keep up with him.

The problem with "Baltimorian" is that not only the speed, but the distorted shortening of the words.

"I plejaleesians do-daflag a'da ...."

Posted · Report post

Sorry :(

Posted · Report post

Sorry :(

:bighug:

Posted · Report post

:rofl: :rofl: if I sang you wouldnt understand me as you would have your fingers in your ears :anv20181:  

You just sing all the time :whistling:

Posted · Report post

... We got a new principal one year at school; he was from one of the northern states.  When he led the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom, he spoke so quickly in comparison that we couldn't keep up with him.

The problem with "Baltimorian" is that not only the speed, but the distorted shortening of the words.

"I plejaleesians do-daflag a'da ...."

What language is that? :confused:

Posted · Report post

oooh that was clever ..I got my answer on top of the quote lol

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0