christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A tour of accents across the British Isles performed in a single, uned

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

A tour of accents across the British Isles performed in a single, unedited take

April 3, 2014 | By Abraham

Professional accent and dialect coach Andrew Jack seamlessly switches between the various accents that are scattered across the UK, demonstrating the subtle distinctions between different varieties of English…

Click here

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

lol!! that was fun.Thanks for sharing it.It would be fun to have one of those for the U.S. Like the difference of the East coast VS the South and West Coast and the Mid West.They are all very different.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

lol!! that was fun.Thanks for sharing it.It would be fun to have one of those for the U.S. Like the difference of the East coast VS the South and West Coast and the Mid West.They are all very different.

Seriously.

A couple guys I was with were joking a bit about their differences - one from MD and the other from TX. In the Baltimore, MD region people shorten a 2 or 3 syllable word down to one syllable, while in TX they stretch a one syllable word into 2 or 3 syllables!

Or someone else I heard noted how in Boston people lose their "r"s ("Pa'k the ca' in the pa'king lot"), but those "r"s are recovered in the South (where everything goes down in the "warsh").

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Seriously.

A couple guys I was with were joking a bit about their differences - one from MD and the other from TX. In the Baltimore, MD region people shorten a 2 or 3 syllable word down to one syllable, while in TX they stretch a one syllable word into 2 or 3 syllables!

Or someone else I heard noted how in Boston people lose their "r"s ("Pa'k the ca' in the pa'king lot"), but those "r"s are recovered in the South (where everything goes down in the "warsh").

It is even different within New York.What is interesting is that I have had several people ask me what part of the East Coast I am from.I have never been to the East Coast.I do not know where I picked it up from.

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

A tour of accents across the British Isles performed in a single, unedited take

April 3, 2014 | By Abraham

Professional accent and dialect coach Andrew Jack seamlessly switches between the various accents that are scattered across the UK, demonstrating the subtle distinctions between different varieties of English…

Click here

Towards the end of the video,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the Welsh sound a bit drunk  :24:

LadyP might have something to say about that  :taped:

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts
Towards the end of the video,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the Welsh sound a bit drunk  :24:

Maybe she's from the Northern part?

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Maybe she's from the Northern part?

I'm not going to give her location away. 

After all she did send me sometime ago a CD " learn to speak "Wenglish"

She also has a large supply of mint sauce that she would throw at me .  :help:

educatexan

educatexan
  • Members
  • 25 posts

I can verify the statement about vowels in Texas.

Accents and dialects have always fascinated me.  We got a new principal one year at school; he was from one of the northern states.  When he led the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom, he spoke so quickly in comparison that we couldn't keep up with him.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

I can verify the statement about vowels in Texas.

Accents and dialects have always fascinated me.  We got a new principal one year at school; he was from one of the northern states.  When he led the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom, he spoke so quickly in comparison that we couldn't keep up with him.

As a Brit we have a lot of accents that probably sound similar to foreigners which is why I'm surprised that the U.S. has so many different accents. I thought that there were only about three - Southern drawl (Bible Belt, Dukes of Hazzard, JR Ewing sort of thing), New York (dis and dat), and the rest of the country.

Atwood

Atwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
I have heard some speak in varieties of English of those Isles, and found them incomprehensible.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

I always get the British and the Australian accents mixed up.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

I always get the British and the Australian accents mixed up.

shocked-face.jpg   culkin-shocked-face.png  shocked-face.jpg 

Shocked-Face.jpg

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

I have heard some speak in varieties of English of those Isles, and found them incomprehensible.

Where? Was that Scotland?

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

We-are-not-amused.jpg

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

winston_churchill.jpg    australian.jpg

WE ARE NOT AMUSED.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

We-are-not-amused.jpg

You mean you are not putting me on ignore?

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Of course not Bopeep, this is not the last thread.  :grin:

ladypeartree

ladypeartree

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,576 posts

:headphones: There are some people here that are just asking to get into trouble ....NORTH indeed !!!!!!

Why on earth do people who do NOT understand the Welsh language and the correct cadancesz always sound as if they are drunk or simple minded ???? Ours is the language of Heaven and sounds like it ....one does NOT have an accent !!!

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

:headphones: There are some people here that are just asking to get into trouble ....NORTH indeed !!!!!!

Why on earth do people who do NOT understand the Welsh language and the correct cadancesz always sound as if they are drunk or simple minded ???? Ours is the language of Heaven and sounds like it ....one does NOT have an accent !!!

You just sing all the time :whistling:

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

... We got a new principal one year at school; he was from one of the northern states.  When he led the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom, he spoke so quickly in comparison that we couldn't keep up with him.

The problem with "Baltimorian" is that not only the speed, but the distorted shortening of the words.

"I plejaleesians do-daflag a'da ...."

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network