christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I know you have to forgive

* * * * * 1 votes How do you forget

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

I know you have to forgive. Does forgiveness means forgetting. Cause I sure have a problem with forgetting. I'm not angry. I just have a hard time forgetting.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,107 posts

No, forgiving does not require forgetting.  When you remember an incident, remember the forgiveness also.

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

No, forgiving does not require forgetting.  When you remember an incident, remember the forgiveness also.

How do you remember forgiveness. Does it help forgetting.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,107 posts

You will remember from your heart.  After awhile, yes, you can forget something happened.  Time is a healer in some incidents, depending on how it affected your life.

Hashe

Hashe
  • Members
  • 88 posts

There is a difference between forgiveness and reconciliation.

If someone hurts you, you should forgive them. It might take time, but that is the goal.

If they don't acknowledge that they have hurt you, then you can't really be reconciled with them.

We are responsible not to put ourselves in a position where we are continually being hurt by people.

If someone has an on going problem with anger and out of that anger they have done something to hurt us, we forgive them for that.

If they acknowledge the problem with anger we can be reconciled with them.

Until they do something about the problem we don't put ourselves in a position where that anger can hurt us (i.e. we don't forget or ignore the issue).

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

I know you have to forgive. Does forgiveness means forgetting. Cause I sure have a problem with forgetting. I'm not angry. I just have a hard time forgetting.

Forgiveness is to cancel the debt the person owes you.

Forgetting, though, involves your own inner healing with regards to the hurt caused to you. You can't forget when it still hurts and/or you have not come to peace with what happened. Sometimes the problem is that you haven't forgiven yourself for having been in a position to have been used or whatever happened.

That's what I have come to understand within my own heart.

So, why don't you try, instead of asking the Lord to help you forget, to ask the Lord to fill your heart with His peace concerning the matter?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,460 posts

Forgiveness is to cancel the debt the person owes you.

Forgetting, though, involves your own inner healing with regards to the hurt caused to you. You can't forget when it still hurts and/or you have not come to peace with what happened. Sometimes the problem is that you haven't forgiven yourself for having been in a position to have been used or whatever happened.

That's what I have come to understand within my own heart.

So, why don't you try, instead of asking the Lord to help you forget, to ask the Lord to fill your heart with His peace concerning the matter?

:thumbsup:

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Psalms 103:12

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Do I go to hell if I can't forget.

Hashe

Hashe
  • Members
  • 88 posts

No. But I'm sure you'll find people to tell you all sorts of rubbish.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

We are human and it is very difficult for us to forget.Jesus is God He can forget.You will not go to hell if you do not forget.God knows our human limitiations.It is much easier to forgive if someone apologizes but that does not alway happen.It is more for our benefit to forgive someone who has hurt us.Otherwise we keep that bitterness  and anger inside and that is not healthy.

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

No.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespassed against us is Old Covenant Law versus New Covenant Grace. The Lord's Prayer (which is actually the disciples' prayer when you read the text you see the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray as John taught his disciples to pray). This was during Old Covenant times (New Covenant did not take place until the cross see Hebrews 9:16-17). Conditions for everything in the Old Covenant. The only condition in the New Covenant is belief in Jesus Christ (John 3:16-18).

You only go to hell for not believing in Jesus Christ.

As a believer in Christ Jesus you are eternally saved eternally secure.

Can't sin your way out of salvation (1 Corinthians 5:5)

Can't be stolen away from God (John 10:28-29)

Can't walk away from salvation (Jeremiah 32:40)

And...

1 John 1:5-10 (KJV)
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:1-8 (KJV)
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

Atwood

Atwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
Forgiveness implies that you don't regard the sin vs you as a debt that requires retribution. Forgiveness implies that you know no man after the flesh (2 Cor 5) -- you know them (relate to them) as persons for whom Christ died and for whom Christ has supplied a new nature as child of God (whether or not they appropriate it). You don't relate to them merely on the basis that they are Adamic sinners. Forgiveness means you don't nurse a grudge or let the sun go down on your anger (giving satan an opportunity).

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network