christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are Christians allowed to be angry ?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Edwin

Edwin

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
Are Christians allowed to be angry in view of the following ?

Mar 11:12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry.
Mar 11:13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.
Mar 11:14 And he said to it, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard it.
Mar 11:15 And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons.
Mar 11:16 And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple.
Mar 11:17 And he was teaching them and saying to them, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers."

And why did Jesus say, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again."

When He must have known that, "it was not the season for figs." ?

Every blessing.

Edwin.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts

Yes Christians are allowed to be angry. It just depends what you do with that anger and how you control it.

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Are Christians allowed to be angry in view of the following ?Mar 11:12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry.Mar 11:13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.Mar 11:14 And he said to it, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard it.Mar 11:15 And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons.Mar 11:16 And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple.Mar 11:17 And he was teaching them and saying to them, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers."And why did Jesus say, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again."When He must have known that, "it was not the season for figs." ?Every blessing.Edwin.

In regard to the example of the fig tree. How about...
This realm is governed by times and seasons but not the other realm that Jesus was walking in. Also our natural realm must be subject to the other and because the tree did not comply Jesus was teaching them something.

dee_han

dee_han
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Even Christians get angry but how we react to anger is the problem. Anger is an emotion of a human being. :) It's normal but it's not normal to let anger control you. :)

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,597 posts

Anger is natural for a mortal being; it's one more hurdle to overcome, 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,062 posts

we are to learn to be like God and God certainly gets angry.....

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

oh my, see how the religious leaders and most of all His disciples surely get their share due to ungodly behavior, basically throughout the whole NT. The sinners and the outcast Jesus met with mercy and grace, though, as a side note.

So if we are supposed to be like Him, then what should we make of this? God's anger is righteous, said already my little brother at the age of five. Just don't get fixated too much on that attribute of the Heavenly Father, He sure pours the eternal love on you every minute of your life as well. It's just the things that we think, do and say which do not all the time delight Him.

As for the fig tree, I heard someone once said it's a parallel, symbolizing Israel and the Jews of His time. Since they did not want Him they could not carry the fruit of the Spirit which is why they dried. I guess it's fair enough considering His own people wanted Him crucified, although misled by the religious elite. But that does not make too much of a difference to the rest of the world to the date. Sin is a sin, and power of the cross covers it all, be it a Jew or a gentile. By which I wish to express I am not for anti-semitism. People are as they are and we all need salvation.

More over, Jesus turned down the tables and chase out the traders and such from the temple. A guy in my taste really, I've been many a time considering carrying out similar act in a bank. Some might point out it was a temple which gives it a religious coloring, but does it not stand in the scripture that  

The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it on the seas and established.

thereby, as the economy of today creates massive destruction due banking cartels and private banker dynasties which create money out of nothing and profit from that while billions suffer. should it not be my duty to resist this madness?

Now I'm getting angry. I don't know to what extent I should, but apparently God is not preventing it.

Seriously, the thing is, the world needs the fire of righteousness. Just watch your tongue when you get it on :)

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,062 posts

Seriously, the thing is, the world needs the fire of righteousness. Just watch your tongue when you get it on :)

i may just have to borrow that statement...

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
Like others have said, anger is a natural emotion and a human emotion. Christ was saying it is that we should not act negatively on that anger towards whatever we're mad at.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,632 posts

Master Talk

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matthew 5:43-48

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

26)  Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

27)  Neither give place to the devil.

Ephesians 4:26-27

Yes we can get angry, but we are commanded to not let that angry grow in us, because if we leave it unresolved it will make us bitter and the devil will gain a stronghold in our life.  So if we are struggling with anger we need to take it to God in prayer.

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,164 posts
When anger is examined closely... it appears to be of the nature where only the right of it
lies in perfection! As we all are only there in Christ and in ourselves we are walking into
what The Lord has placed within us by the sanctifying Word of God thus the anger that comes
to us we say-> do I have this right or have I moved myself into a false place to keep it?
Love, Steven

Edited by enoob57, 19 April 2014 - 07:09 AM.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Blessings Edwin......

Anger as a response to a circumstance some would say is a natural reaction but one must be careful to discern whether it is a righteous anger(as in God's righteousness) or self righteousness...............As a reaction ,I would say in many instances it is justifiable

Now if anger does not come as a reaction but as a result of hatred,bitterness,resentments or even regrets that one has not forsaken & holds in their hearts then I would say it is not okay......it is caused by bondage & a sin of the flesh....it festers & hinders spiritual growth

Oakwood posted that it is more important what you do with that anger & to have self control,I think this is key .......of course,without the Holy Spirit we would be slaves to our flesh and would be incapable of winning the war between flesh & spirit.......................me thinks! Glory to God,we can do ALL things in Christ Jesus...

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Do not conform to the world but be transformed by a renewing of the mind...................it is so important to take captive every thought

Donibm

Donibm

Advanced Member

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Are Christians allowed to be angry in view of the following ?

Mar 11:12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry.
Mar 11:13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.
Mar 11:14 And he said to it, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard it.
Mar 11:15 And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons.
Mar 11:16 And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple.
Mar 11:17 And he was teaching them and saying to them, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers."

And why did Jesus say, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again."

When He must have known that, "it was not the season for figs." ?

Every blessing.

Edwin.

I consistently see how people "force feed" a Scripture into a context that has nothing to do with the question.

This action of Jesus is merely FULFILLING THE MESSIANIC PROPHECY which clearly shows that the Messiah would be ZEALOUS FOR THE LORDS HOUSE.

Just becasue He turned over tables and whooped them, doesn't mean He was having a temper tantrum.  I've whooped my son.  Doesn't mean I had lost control.

Concerning ANGER, there are other passages that are better to use.

1)

Moses had an anger problem ... and look what happened to him.  he was not allowed to enter the Promised Land.  

He was angry at the Egyptian beating on the Israelite and KILLED A MAN

He was angry at the Israelites and BROKE THE !) SAYINGS (not to mention that he had to reclimb the mountain as a result)

He was angry at Israel and struck the rock, when God told him to speak to it ... and Moses was devastated by gods punishment for his disobediance ... all because of anger.

God cannot work through anger.

But, even these examples do not suggest that we are not allowed to be angry.  

We are made in GODS LIKENESS.  I wish more Christians would understand what that means.  WE get angry because HE gets angry.  His likeness.  So there is no sin in being angry.  It is natural.

HOWEVER, Scriptures clearly tell us to "be angry, BUT SIN NOT"

Aha!  

And so there is it.  Being angry is natural, but ACTING on that anger is where sin creeps in.

In another place, we are encouraged to not allow us to be ruled by our anger because that gives Satan a strong foothold over us.

Likewise, the Scriptures also tell us to not let the sun go down on our wrath.  In other words, if you are angry at someone, SETTLE IT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED!  Don't let a day end with you still enraged - deal with it and let it go.

These are the passages that deal with us being angry.

None of them suggest that being angry is a sin, only the sin that comes THROUGH being angry.

If being angry was a sin, then God is sinning every day.  How do I know?  Cause the Scriptures say that God is angry with the wicked EVERY DAY.

These are the passages that deal with anger.  Jesus dealing with the theives in the temple is not a good passage to use.

Atwood

Atwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
1) Be angry and sin not. 2) Let not the sun go down on your anger.

Donibm

Donibm

Advanced Member

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

1) Be angry and sin not. 2) Let not the sun go down on your anger.

Yes, exactly. 

Better to used passages that deal with anger rather than force-feeding other passages that don't exactly fit.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
It is not wrong to be angry at the things that anger God. God's wrath is against those who martyr His children, or who lead His little ones astray. God is angry toward those who misuse His church for personal gain, and against those who give God a bad name by misrepresenting Him. But God is usually patient with all till the day of judgement. He seems to allow people to get so bad that there is no return before committing them to judgement. And if He is patient with them, we also should be in hopes that all will repent. lt is not His will that any should perish but that all should come to repentance..

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

It is how we present ourselves in that anger and what we can learn from it that is important.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network