christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is a Christian?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

tigger two

tigger two
  • Members
  • 24 posts

I am a Christian.  I believe that Jesus is our Savior and King.  I do not, however, believe scripture shows Jesus to be equal to the Father nor to be God almighty.  So, although a follower of Jesus, am I considered a Christian by others here?

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,072 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

I am a Christian.  I believe that Jesus is our Savior and King.  I do not, however, believe scripture shows Jesus to be equal to the Father nor to be God almighty.  So, although a follower of Jesus, am I considered a Christian by others here?

It is not clear to me who you believe Jesus to be, yet you ask us to judge you?

tigger two

tigger two
  • Members
  • 24 posts

I ask no one to judge me but my Lord Jesus and the Father.

I have asked for a definition from those here.  Do I fit their definition of 'Christian.'

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,072 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

I ask no one to judge me but my Lord Jesus and the Father.

I have asked for a definition from those here.  Do I fit their definition of 'Christian.'

Yet, in order to answer your question, one must make a judgement, so what you claim is not true. You are asking us to judge. Those who will do so have to have something to judge. Tell us who you believe Jesus is in detail so we know what we have to consider right or wrong.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,943 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

Jesus revealed Himself to be God Almighty.  If you don't believe Jesus is God, you cannot be a Christian.  The Deity of Jesus is an essential doctrine that cannot be compromised.

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
Someone who has Jesus living in thier heart. Literaly someone who is born again, or born of The Spirit. A new believer may not have to much fruit yet. Some God takes fast, others He takes longer with them. Its all in His time.

digitalinchrist

digitalinchrist
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Acts 11:26 "And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."

Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Hi Grey wolf.

A true christtian is he that have the renewing of the mind. 

Him that have come out of the spirit of Babylon,and walk in the spirit of Zion.

He is in Babylon but not of Babylon. He has come out of Babylon spiritually.

In the city of God which is Zion, there is peace and God fearing and love.

In the city of Babylon, there is confusion and sorrows.

A true christian feeds on the flesh of Christ which is the scriptures.

And is filled with the spirit of Christ. John 6:48--58.

He is the church of God,he walks in Christ. Seperate from the world. 

jesse.

Kaceytoo

Kaceytoo
  • Members
  • 8 posts

I believe a true Christian loves the Lord with his whole heart mind and soul and his/her neighbour as himself.

Wildstar

Wildstar

• Members *
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

The term Christian is broadly used today. Some applications are so far removed as to be unrecognizable from its original source. How would you define a Christian. What are the essential hallmarks of such a believer?

it means Christ follower.  But you also have wolves in sheeps clothing, in other words false Christians.  There are those who believe in Jesus as well but deny his power.

A Christian has no sin, believes all sin was taken up at jesus baptism, that all sin was blotted out forever at his crucifixion, they dont hold doctrines like 'praying for forgiveness', etc.  

Edited by Wildstar, 31 July 2014 - 11:23 AM.

CurtisCWilson

CurtisCWilson

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

A Christian is one who has been born again by the incorruptible seed of the Word of God by the Spirit of God. It is no longer "I" that liveth, but Christ lives in me. Christ is now my new life.

Edited by CurtisCWilson, 02 August 2014 - 01:03 PM.

Eragon

Eragon

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Jesus Christ, Reading, Studying (sometimes)
    Science, Acting, Spending time with friends and family,
    Online quizzes, All 14 of my siblings.
One who believes that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and rose again the third day. No good deeds are needed to become a christian. Some believe we must admit we are a sinner and say we are sorry for our sins, but Jesus knows that, its the whole reason he died for you! Asking for forgiveness is good to do though when we sin. Right away ask God to forgive our once you sin. But admitting you are a sinner, its just not needed when going to be saved.

Maine_FF/EMT

Maine_FF/EMT
  • Members
  • 7 posts

I'm probably going to repeat things that have already been said. At any rate;

Acts 11:26 says that the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch. We know that the disciples were those that laid down their lives and followed Christ, and were instructed to continue his work following his ascenion.

Now to answer what I think is really the question, should we see some kind of transformation in somebody who claims to be a Christian; I think the scriptures provide evidence for an emphatic yes. The first passage that comes to mind is 1 Peter 2, which talks about growing up in salvation and being transformed. 

There have also been several references to those that claim to be Christians in a very loose sense of the word, who often aren't true Christians. While i completely agree, I would also like to offer the reminder that it is not our place to judge. Certainly we can show them the love of Christ in us and try to teach them and share the true meaning with them, but ultimately they will face the same judgement we will. 

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:God, The Bible, Philosophy, Photography, and helping others when I can.

I consider a true Christian to be a person doing his best to obey God and not be living in constant sins. Yes the believing comes 1st. But someone who after 10, 20 or more years never really changed even 1 bit, to my mind is not a Christian. It's up to Jesus what to do with such people. But I'm human and this is my opinion.

Starry

Starry
  • Members
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking,reading and movies

The term Christian is broadly used today. Some applications are so far removed as to be unrecognizable from its original source. How would you define a Christian. What are the essential hallmarks of such a believer?

when i haven't met Jesus as my Lord and my Savior, years ago christian for me means a mere believer of God.

Not until I had my personal encounter with HIM:)..

through the  discipleship class i came to know  that being a christian means to be a learner or a follower of Christ:)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2015 part of the Worthy Network