christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is a Christian?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
The term Christian is broadly used today. Some applications are so far removed as to be unrecognizable from its original source. How would you define a Christian. What are the essential hallmarks of such a believer?

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

If you believe that God exists, believe with all your heart that there is only one God, the true and only creator of the Universe and all things, and that God sent his only son to die and be resurrected so that all of mankind who believe, may receive the gift of salvation and eternal life - then you are a Christian.

Okay, there's more to it than this - but if you don't comply with the above then you are not a Christian.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,500 posts
  • Interests:camping computers
Rom 10:8-16
"The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" —  that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; 10 for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call upon Him; 13 for "Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved."

My personal belief.....   one must believe that God raised Jesus  from the dead, and one must declare openly that Jesus is his/her Lord.

One must not be lying about it.

That starts one into being a Christian, but it grows from there depending on the relationship that you allow to develop between one and the Holy Spirit.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,991 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

The term Christian is broadly used today. Some applications are so far removed as to be unrecognizable from its original source. How would you define a Christian. What are the essential hallmarks of such a believer?

:thumbsup:

Loving Trust

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3

Everything Else Grows

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:3-4

Out Of Loving

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. Romans 8:15

Trust

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • Interests:Books, classics, Italian/French
    Languages.
    Music. Classical, Sacred,Opera.
    Philosophy, Poetry.
    Social Anthropology.

George published this article sometime ago that  I pray putts this question into perspective.. 

FAITH can also be your response to the conviction you may be feeling and receiving about these things. Today could be your day of salvation. 

A new, spiritual birth can occur inside you, as the simple truth of John 3:16 says, 

”For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

” And ”Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved” [Acts 4:12].

But make sure that your repentance is deep and sincere and that you fully intend, with God’s help, to turn away from all your sins.

God is not mocked. He looks at the heart, and fully knows your intentions.

If they are real, He will enter you by His Spirit and give you new life. 

This means that you, also, will be resurrected from death and receive an eternal and perfect body as the resurrected Messiah did.

The gift of eternal life is received by REPENTANCE and FAITH. You can express this response in your own words, based on your conviction of sin,

and the death and resurrection of Jesus; or you might use a prayer such as this one:

Father in Heaven, I come to you realizing that I am truly a sinful person, that my sin separates me from you and leads me to judgment and eternal death.  I’m asking that you forgive me as I turn from my sins; rebellion, unbelief, sexual immorality, occultism, hatred, cursing, selfishness, and everything you call evil. I do believe that your Son Jesus, came, died, and rose again from the grave and that through Him I can receive your forgiveness and eternal life. So I’m asking you, Father, to completely cleanse me by the blood of Jesus, and write my name in your Book of Life. I gratefully receive this free gift of His righteousness, cleansing, and eternal life as I fully trust that He carried my sins away completely.  Thank you, Lord Jesus, for giving your life for me. Help me to live a holy life worthy of your salvation. Amen.

If you have responded in real repentance and faith with this or other prayer,

please let us here at Worthy Network know about it; we would love to encourage and help you in any way we can.

And know this: ”that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.” [Romans 10:9-10]

God bless you,

Nigel.  (ncm Chat Servant)

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
As I thought. These are essentials, but how about the evidence part? Should we expect a confessing believer to demonstrate a changed life as well? Should we look for spiritual fruit, for Christlikeness?

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,454 posts
  • Interests:Dog training, fellowshipping with my family at Worthy. Worshiping the Lord in song. Sharing Jesus with those who do not know Him.

Rom 10:8-16
"The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" —  that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; 10 for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call upon Him; 13 for "Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved."

My personal belief.....   one must believe that God raised Jesus  from the dead, and one must declare openly that Jesus is his/her Lord.

One must not be lying about it.

That starts one into being a Christian, but it grows from there depending on the relationship that you allow to develop between one and the Holy Spirit.

It is not only believing  that God is Jesus in the flesh who left His throne in Glory to die on a cross for us for our sins, then rising three days later and accepting Him as personal savior but one must also walk the walk.  We must believe in  the word of God totally without reservation, and follow in His footsteps and preach the gospel to a lost and dying world. Living a life that is honoring to the Father so that others may see Jesus in us. 

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Knitting,Jigsaw Puzzles.and I love to bake.

Over time,the word "Christian" has lost a great deal of significance and is often used of someone who is religious or has high moral values but who may or maynot be a true follower of Jesus Christ.Many people who do not believe and trust in Jesus Christ consider themselves Christians simply because they go to Church or they live in a "Christian" nation.Going to Church,serving those less fortunate,or being a good person does not make a Christian.The Bible tells us that the good works we do can not make us acceptable to God.

A true Christian is a person who has put faith and trust in the person and work of Jesus Christ,including His death on the cross as payment for sins and His resurrection on the third day.A true Christian is a child of God.

You might say that works are important.Well yes they are among the Christian but only works will not get you saved.But that is a different thread.  :mgcheerful:

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
If you believe in Christ, then that is all you need to be termed a Christian.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
Not enough. Muslims believe in Jesus as do other groups that we would not consider Christian. It would hinge on more who do you believe Christ is?

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,609 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

Scripture tells us we will know them by their fruits.

If they show the following fruits:

• adultery
  • fornication
  • uncleanness
  • lewdness
  • idolatry
  • sorcery
  • hatred
  • contentions
  • jealousies
  • outbursts of wrath
  • selfish ambitions
  • dissensions
  • heresies
  • envy
  • murders
  • drunkenness
  • revelries
  • and the like

They are not of Christ.

• love
  • joy
  • peace
  • longsuffering
  • kindness
  • goodness
  • faithfulness
  • gentleness
  • self-control

They have His Spirit and are of Him.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
I think the negative fruit can manifest itself in us if we are not careful and walking near The Lord. A guilty conscience and a repentant heart should follow.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,609 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

The first is the fruit of the flesh and is with us every day.  The second group if the new creation He does in us, if we allow Him to do so.  Which one you feed with become the stronger of the two.  Choose wisely!

Taker

Taker

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Music, jokes, dancing (I specialize in the ironic), card games and board games.

Christian, derived from Jesus Christ's last name. I translate the word Christian to mean follower of Christ. To me, someone who follows Christ has to accept every word of Jesus and his father. This means that they must accept the Bible and are not allowed to add or subtract anything from it.

Want to know if someone is a Christian? Check my signature. 

adesam

adesam
  • 1 posts

Anyone who has accepted, confessed and believed in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and follow Him daily is a Christian...

educatexan

educatexan
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Note the different between works of the flesh and fruit of the Spirit.  Works require a conscious decision, while fruit is a natural byproduct of growth.  You have to actively choose to sin, but the fruit will appear naturally if you are devoting yourself to having the mind of Christ.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.  Romans 12:2.  

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 2:5

Ultimately, God is the judge of a person's salvation (the judge is the one who does the sentencing), but we must exercise discernment in order to minister to others' needs appropriately.

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Hunt, Fish, shoot pool, snooker read kjv read Worthy

Scripture tells us we will know them by their fruits.

• adultery
  • fornication
  • uncleanness
  • lewdness
  • idolatry
  • sorcery
  • hatred
  • contentions
  • jealousies
  • outbursts of wrath
  • selfish ambitions
  • dissensions
  • heresies
  • envy
  • murders
  • drunkenness
  • revelries
  • and the like

They are not of Christ.

• love
  • joy
  • peace
  • longsuffering
  • kindness
  • goodness
  • faithfulness
  • gentleness
  • self-control

They have His Spirit and are of Him.

In the first list I thought of this verse 1 Corin 11

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 
15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. 
16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God. 
this seems to imply it is not a sinful act. of course I could be misunderstanding it.

And in the second list I think Truthfulness should be listed
just my two cents; i know i know; my two cents is only worth two cents to me not others.

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Christian, derived from Jesus Christ's last name. I translate the word Christian to mean follower of Christ. To me, someone who follows Christ has to accept every word of Jesus and his father. This means that they must accept the Bible and are not allowed to add or subtract anything from it.

Want to know if someone is a Christian? Check my signature. 

First, I want to apologize for this correction. I am not sure if I should offer correction on this thread.

Christ is not Jesus last name. I think because the terminology is spoken as if it is a last name based on modern conventions, many people might think it is a last name.

Christ is actually a title. Christ is Greek and means Messiah or annointed one. In Hebrew HaMoshiach is the terminology and means 'the annointed one'. Basically, since the NT is written in Greek, Christ is the transliterated Greek word used, while in the OT, the term is Moshiach/Messiah. I sometimes wish that people used Jesus the Christ, as it would be less confusing and match better with the OT Messianic prophesies. I usually use Messiah rather then Christ.

I do agree, a Christian would be a follower or disciple of Jesus the Messiah.  

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

For the first time ever....I agree with every single post here.  I can add nothing except Praise Him that rose again for by Him we are saved.  :mgcheerful: 

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study
A Christian is a person in whom Christ lives.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network