christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Boston Baked Beans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

I am going to attempt to make some homemade Boston Baked Beans.I think they may have less sodium in them than the canned ones.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts

What are they?

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

What are they?

7c380841682af083a811804e1ade800b.jpgThey are navy beans that you combine with several ingredients and then bake then in the oven for several hours.They are really good with corn bread.  :mgcheerful:

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts

What are they?

7c380841682af083a811804e1ade800b.jpgThey are navy beans that you combine with several ingredients and then bake then in the oven for several hours.They are really good with corn bread.  :mgcheerful:

Don't have corn bread either. :laughing:

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

What are they?

But you have kidney pie?

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts

What are they?

But you have kidney pie?

Steak and kidney pie.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

What are they?

But you have kidney pie?

Steak and kidney pie.

30c2ff8c091993f8081bd69e5d34200d.jpgI am sorry but I have to do this.........GROSS  :online2long: 

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,462 posts

Can you send me the bean link Bo? i have recently been diagnosed with severe hypertension, so sodium is out in any quantity except small..... And I love baked beans!

MissPlaced_56

MissPlaced_56

Veteran Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Fez,

Dear Brother, i'm in the same boat....

I hope you find this information helpful....Please check with you're Doctor First to make sure this will be safe for you.

GBU Brother!

http://www.worthychr...ike-sauerkraut/

It's post # 9.....

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Can you send me the bean link Bo? i have recently been diagnosed with severe hypertension, so sodium is out in any quantity except small..... And I love baked beans!

How about I write down the recipe for you?That is why I am making them.I love baked beans too and if you see the sodium content on the cans it is scary.I have to watch my sodium as well.Do you like Corn Bread?Would you be interested in that recipe?.It is very good.Goes great with the beans.

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

How about I write down the recipe for you?That is why I am making them.I love baked beans too and if you see the sodium content on the cans it is scary.I have to watch my sodium as well.Do you like Corn Bread?Would you be interested in that recipe?.It is very good.Goes great with the beans.

Please also send Fez recipes for green peas he loves them .  :taped:

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Please also send Fez recipes for green peas he loves them .  :taped:

d4de12f45d9de1bf1563bee420f2f135.jpgSilly ncn you know there is no recipe.They are great fresh from the pod.Fez must hate them :mgcheerful: I love them but you are not alone Fez.Many people hate peas.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

For Fez:

Boston Baked Beans

2 cups navy beans

1/2 lb bacon sliced**( I cook it before I put it in the beans and drain the grease,otherwise the beans are pretty greasy)

1 onion,finely chopped

3 tablespoons molasses

2 teaspoons salt (I only use one teaspoon of salt to make the beans less salty)

1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

1/4 teaspoon mustard (you can use dry mustard if you want)

1/2 cup ketsup(I use salt free ketsup)

1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

1.Soak beans overnight in cold water.Simmer the beans in the same water until tender appox.1-2 hours.Drain and reserve the liquid.

2.Preheat oven to 325 degrees

3.Arrange the beans in a 2 quart casserole by placing a portion of the beans in bottom of casserole,and layering them with bacon and onions.

4.In a saucepan,combine molasses,salt,pepper,mustard,ketsup,worcestershire sauce and brown sugar.Bring to a boil and pour over beans.Pour just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans.Cover dish with lid or foil.

5.Bake for 3-4 hours,until beans are tender.Remove lid halfway through cooking,and add more liquid if needed to prevent beans from getting too dry.

Also Fez I like my beans thick so I left the lid off for the last two hours.Just keep your eye on them that they do not get too dry.If you keep the lid on the whole time they tend to be a little soupy.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

3b9c7e382c3e52d9d4e675b9be3d2b3f.jpgStock up...your wife might appreciate it  :happyhappy:

MissPlaced_56

MissPlaced_56

Veteran Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

bopeep ,

those beans sound yummy!!!

here's more info....

http://www.fatsecret...ionamount=0.500

https://www.google.c...-a&channel=fflb

just thought you'd like to know...and Fez really needs this info ,so he can make an informed decision.

GBU Sister!

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

hm301806.jpg

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

hm301806.jpg

oh yes kwik lol!!

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Navy beans are classified as one of the world's healthiest foods.

http://www.whfoods.c...odspice&dbid=88

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts

What about army beans, or air force beans?

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

What about army beans, or air force beans?

Only if they have been through the academy  :laughing:

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network