christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Easter is no longer a holiday

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Easter is no longer consider as a holiday. It makes wonder how soon Christmas will no longer be a holiday or Thanksgiving.

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

When you say Easter is no longer a holiday, do you mean that people no longer get a day off of work for Easter?  

(Since I was not born and raised as a Christian, I grew up being used to my religious holidays not being recognized by most businesses, which didn't make them any less a holiday to me.)  

tigger398

tigger398

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Yes everything used to be closed on good friday and easter

clark thompson

clark thompson

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Listen it is still an important day for Christians the world does not understand why it is important because they do not believe.

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

Easter is no longer consider as a holiday. It makes wonder how soon Christmas will no longer be a holiday or Thanksgiving.

I ain't surprised. America been tossin' God out of their schools, libraries, homes, work, music and tv for decades now..and they ask, "where was God in that tragedy".

Easter is about the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and very few really understand the significance of it..they like the candy and bunny fable though.

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
Thanksgiving is now just a head start on Christmas shopping. Most major stores are open now. Spring break also once coincided with Passover/Easter week but that was called discrimination so was seperated from holy week.
Someday I expect them to seperate Christmas vacation as well. Halloween has taken over as nearly as big as Christmas for sales and decoration, and Thanksgiving is being pushed out of peoples minds as well as history books. They are trying to downplay any influence of Judeo-christian religion on our country. All of this no longer surprises me.
They originally ruled that students should be excused to celebrate their religious services if requested and at first a lot of people did that. I rarely hear of it now. In fact our family has never been able to avoid working on Christmas when schedualed to do so. Too many people wanted it off to do other things than celebrate Christ's birth.
The only day that most stores seem to close for is new years day. Everyone is hung over or wants to watch the ball games.

Qnts is right. We should continue to hold our holy commemorations sacred no matter what the secular world does.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,919 posts

Stores are open on new years day here, but most are still closed on Christmas and thanksgiving. 

Guest_Teddyboy_*

Guest_Teddyboy_*
  • Guests

After the death of my wife back in 2007,  The Holiday's just don't mean anything to me anymore.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

its still a holiday for me, I got it off and get it paid off-i was also supposed to have today (good friday) off as a paid holiday though we ended up working. But the thing is, if "getting it off work" is your definition of a holiday, then your missing the point of the holiday to begin with. In reality, the holiday only dies when you allow it.

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Back before I became a stay at home mommy. The company I use to work for stop giving us Easter off. But if you said you needed that day off they would give it to you.

The reason being is because one religious holiday can not be given off without all other religions having their holidays off as well. With all the different religious now having their own days, their would be no time to get any work done.  We would all be on holiday far too  much.

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

Easter lands on marijuana day, what s the devil up too. :thumbs_down: :30:

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Easter lands on marijuana day, what s the devil up too. :thumbs_down: :30:

I didn't know there was a marijuana day! How come nobody tells me this stuff?

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Blessings Teddy....

I understand exactly how you feel.....it just is not the same without loved ones ,especially if you celebrated with family gatherings and all the traditions.Being Italian,every holiday was a big food fest-lol & an entire day of being surrounded by family,laughing,reminiscing,hugging,teasing & just being together in love......& then everyone goes home & you enjoy cleaning up the mess together and your quiet time,it  can be lonely

But the truth of it is,we are not alone and its not about all the fuss ......especially Resurrection Day,we may miss our loved ones terribly...but Teddy ,because our Lord has Risen,we too will be resurrected & be reunited with the ones we love for all eternity!!!!It is certainly a day that means something & a day to not only celebrate our Lord & Savior but to offer Him our thanksgiving for what He,a time to Praise & Worship .....maybe a touch more than the other 364 days,just us & Him......but most definitely a day that means something

God Bless you Teddy,everyday is a day to be filled with the Joy of our Lord................you are in my prayers!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

I am going to give a different view. 

Several members of my family work in the medical field. My family is Jewish and most practice Rabbinical Judaism. In a hospital setting, the doors do not close for holidays. The members of my family who work these kinds of jobs work on Christmas and Easter, so that at least some who celebrated these holidays with their families could get the day off. (My family celebrates different holidays at different times so will ask for those days off).

On Christmas and Easter, if a business is open, and that business has Jewish people working there, you will find most of them working on Christmas and Easter so that Gentiles who celebrate can get the day off.

I once worked for a company which ran 24x7 (they did shut down for Christmas). I was in a job in which we rotated who had to cover weekends. There was a person who refused to work any Sunday, because they were a Christian so they worked no weekends. That meant that everyone else had to work extra weekends to cover for the Christian. Of course no one was really enthused about working weekends, but it had to be done.  Working weekends was not just the least desirable, but in that job, was the worst and hardest days.....  Of course everyone else thought poorly of the Christian, because they were stuck carrying the worst work because the Christian wouldn't do the worst work.      

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network