christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need help with Lesson Plans

New to Homeschooling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

noobie

noobie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

I'm new to homeschooling and I don't know where to begin as far as making a lesson plan for my little ones. I have three girls... one going into PreK, one going to first grade and one going into the third grade. Trouble is there is so much information on the web I don't know where to start! I have decided though not to use pre-made packaged curriculum so I can tailor whats being taught to each child. Seems like if I went with a package deal they would be stuck with what they got and in my opinion that's the same thing as public schooling. My question is making a lesson plan! How do I start one? Do I make a year worth or weeks? Any information would be great so I can give my children the best experience from this. Thanks in advance!

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts
Do your children not have to pass the state tests yearly? If so start with the regular program provided by the state and when familiar with home schooling branch out. Get a teacher's lesson plan sheet for the day and go from there. Perhaps talking with others who home school will help immensely.

noobie

noobie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Hello and thanks for the reply! Yes there is a yearly test but the school district never said anything about providing any type of program. I have some programs set aside ready to go but as far as organizing them into a lesson plan is a little overwhelming. So I should plan it as a night by night thing instead of a week or a full year? I can't talk to many other homeshcoolers because I live way out in the country.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

noobie you have your work cut our for you.I think homeschooling is an excellent idea.Todays public schools are scary.

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

http://a2zhomeschool...son_plans_free/

i would make sure what expectations and/or requirement county schools system may have.

I did not see the state or county you are in they may or may not oversee your teaching.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,493 posts

my wife went to college for four years to learn how to do that.....      It's not something you can just do yourself without doing some serious reading on your own.

There are a lot of pre made plans that are good and they are not that expensive.    You might check Glenn Becks web site for information.

Also see if there are any home school organizations where you live.   they could help immensely.

Atwood

Atwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
Suggestions:

1) adopt a curriculum; compare and see what is best for you and your girls: Check out ACE, A Beka, Bob Jones, Alpha and Omega.
2) get a set of graded readers (like the Old Dick and Jane, Scott Foresman -- check Ebay). Run the children through the graded readers, bringing in
3) phonics.
4) make sure your children advance in the basic math skills: square 1 after counting is the addition and subtraction combinations. Drill these with flash cards and/or computer programs. Make sure your children don't have to count on fingers, but know these cold. Then go to adding with carrying, subtraction with borrowing, multiplication tables, long multiplication, division tables, short division, long division, junior high geometry, percent, algebra.
5) By the later grammar school grades, you children should know the parts of speech. By jr high they should know how to diagram sentences. By high school they should master punctuation.
6) you will not forget spelling with rules on how to spell English (to the extent that they exist -- LOL).
7) Of course you will do Bible.
8) Have sufficient recreation breaks.
9) Join a home school association and take your kids to affairs with them, like skating.

I never made "lesson plans." I did use curricula (mixed), computer programs, Bible-movies, praise singing, played Monopoly to teach math (it is great for that). I used an extensive set of math computer programs to supplement written. I also used Carmen SanDiego to teach geography -- don't know if that is still around; it was a great detective game on the computer. I used a censored version of the Forrest Gump movie to teach American History, a great survey. I showed the "Thief in the Night" 4-movie set to teach salvation (explained about 20 ways). My daughter finished at 16, went to college and made all A's, 4.0 (but it would not have hurt her to make some B's.) We included music, piano, and she was teaching piano in college as a teenager. If you have a good curriculum, you don't need "lesson plans," just an idea about where you are going.

Good luck. Be sure to pray to the Lord and trust Him for wisdom, assuming you are a Christian.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Blessings noobie

Sounds like you have some very good advice & suggestions here ,I would really consult with some home school organizations in your area as other one has said,,,,I am sure every parent truly believes that they can do it best and no one would have the children's best interest at heart better than his/her own mom or dad(or both) but I do not believe everyone is capable of teaching(as it seems perhaps Atwood was).And so I do think a pre-made plan is a very good idea ,unless of course you feel well equipped to undergo the route Atwood suggests

I would imagine the curriculum you choose would greatly depend on what you yourself are most comfortable with......And above all else,pray and keep God First in everything you do....teaching your children His Word & His Ways..................God bless you

With love-in Christ,Kwik

noobie

noobie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

All the above post are wonderful ideas thank you! I still have a while before the new school year starts so anymore advice is always welcomed. I myself was home schooled but I'm tweaking what my parents did a little. My folks used the packaged curriculum and spent a ton of money but we only used maybe 10% of it. We found out with the packaged plans it could get a bit tedious at times. I found a website that I can kind of pick and choose what to teach to tailor to my child the best. I'm hoping doing it that way they won't be stuck with something to easy or to hard. What do you guys think about this approach? Should I just stick out the 90% of tedious work and teach the all ready made curriculum because I myself support A beka and programs like it or is picking and choosing the best way to do it?

Also yes Atwood I am a Christian 100% and that is the biggest reason for my choice in home schooling. My wife and I are from family's that works to put Christ first in all things and the school system works to hide Christ. (Well our local public schools anyway) Also my children where bringing a ton of home work home with them and I asked them how much they do at school and they replied that they mainly go over the work at school at school to do it at home with a parent. I figured I was all ready homeschooling with that approach so why are they even going lol. When I addressed it to there teachers they said with all the disruptions and troubled children in the classroom there isn't much time in a single day to actually do the work itself on paper at school.

Again thank you everyone and if there is anything else that could be added please share and God bless you all. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network