christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question for you

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
126 replies to this topic

Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Nonbeliever
  • 35 posts

Dear all,

Hello, I have a question if I am to ask, What is in christianity that made you know and believe in Jesus Christ and in christianity to be the true religion of GOD?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,703 posts

Dear all,

Hello, I have a question if I am to ask, What is in christianity that made you know and believe in Jesus Christ and in christianity to be the true religion of GOD?

:thumbsup:

He Talks To Me

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

And Tells Me I Am Loved

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,490 posts

Nothing in Christianity made me believe in the Lord Jesus Christ Almighty, Son of God.

He did it through the Holy Spirit. It's called Faith, and is not based on the teachings of men (who can, and often do, fail one). The Lord Jesus Christ revealed Himself to me, and I believed. It was than simple.

I have no "denomination", and when asked to fill in a form (as I recently did in hospital), asking for my "religion", I wrote "LOVES JESUS".

But one has to define "believe". Many religions "believe" in some god, because it may be a way of life, a life without choice, but in Christianity, there is this from the book of James..

Jas 2:17  So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. 
Jas 2:18  But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 
Jas 2:19  You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder! 
Jas 2:20  Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? 
Jas 2:21  Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 
Jas 2:22  You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 
Jas 2:23  and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness"--and he was called a friend of God. 
Jas 2:24  You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 

Even the demons believe... But there is so much more, because the only way to the Father, is through His Son.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
He revealed Himself to me as a God in control of nature Who is also personal and Who hears and answers my prayers to rocognize and perceive Him.
Later He reminded me of shameful things I had done as a child--I had stolen. I knew I needed forgiveness so I asked Him to do that. A strange thought popped into my head: What makes you think He will forgive you? And immediately that hymn I had learned as a small child came to mind: Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so. His peace and love flooded over me. I was in my early teens then.

Now I am retired. God is a part of my life Who comforts me when I am in pain, Who leads and guides me, Who speaks to my heart in strong, authoritive kind words that reveal His character as found in the Bible. I have seen Him heal my loved ones just as the Bible discribes and provide our needs as it also discribes. In fact, I came to believe that the events in the Bible are true because the way that He was working in my life was the same way as the Bible discribed Him acting while Jesus was on earth. Jesus came to earth to reveal the nature of His Father God in heaven. He said "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." He claimed to be the I AM, the eternally existing One, Who simply is. He is much more than a good man as I was taught. He is more than a teacher and prophet. He is the One who pre existed with His Eternal Father, Who created everything that exists and Who arose from the dead.

Philippians 2:5 ALT3 Indeed, be letting the frame of mind [or attitude] be in you which [was] also in Christ Jesus, who existing in the nature of God, did not consider being equal to God something to be held onto, but He emptied Himself, having taken the nature of a slave, having come in the likeness of people, and having been found in the appearance of a person, He humbled Himself, having become obedient to the point of death---even of death of a cross. V9 NKJV Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, V 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

He is the God of the Bible.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,099 posts

When I gave up trying to have things my way, began to read the Bible and do the things that Christ suggested I do and live the way that the Apostle Paul said were right, then my life changed. I didn't go in knowing that it would work, in fact, I doubted that it was possible to live His way. But, as I stuck with it, He stuck with me and things began to change. Inside of me. Personally. And Christ became more personal to me and I know that He is here with me. When I doubt, and I do doubt some times when things get difficult, He always reminds me that He only has my best interests in mind and that no matter what, things will turn out right in the long run. And they always do. Nothing or no one else has ever done that for me. That's how I know.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
Sorry for being rather dense, but could you rephrase that OP question?

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

... What is in christianity that made you know and believe in Jesus Christ and in christianity to be the true religion of GOD?

The Christ in Christianity made me a believer in Him, but I don't put much faith in religion.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,117 posts

Dear all,

Hello, I have a question if I am to ask,

What is in christianity that made you know and believe in Jesus Christ and in christianity to be the true religion of GOD?

Wanderer,  it may sound a little off, but I don't think "Christianity" is a religion...    Christianity is a personal relationship with God.  That term God can be confusing for it seems that we use it for more than one entity, but that's a whole other long story.   

Being a Baptist, or Catholic or Methodist is religion, but most of those who claim those different organizations have that spiritual  relationship with the Father through Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  It's hard to explain if you haven't experienced it.

For me personally, I grew up in a Church and was a religion for I really didn't know Jesus as a young person on a personal level......    unfortunately for me I actually met the devil on a real personal level first, but Jesus dragged me away from that relationship.....    I didn't realize it was the devil I was interfacing with and it almost cost me my soul.     So I know Jesus personally for he introduced himself to me in the spiritual realm when I needed him the most through the Holy Spirit.  He saved me from myself so to speak and I turned my live over to him and declared him as my Lord to all.

EndSeeker

EndSeeker

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

salvation is a free gift, we can do nothing more than believe Jesus did all the work on the cross.

We can't earn more righteousness than what God has already given us as a gift.

To say that works or human achievement is required for salvation is saying that the cross wasn't enough

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Blessings Wanderer!

Welcome to Worthy..................God Bless you! Well,nothing in Christianity brought me to know or believe in Jesus,Jesus brought me to know & believe in Himself & the result of that is how I am called a Christian....................There is so much more to being a Christian than the religious aspect,it is a personal relationship with Jesus that reconciles us back to our Father,we then are in relationship with Father ,Son & Holy Spirit.....He is in us & we in Him

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Edwin

Edwin

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
Thank you Wanderer for your question, my answer is as follows.

Subject: My Conversion.

I was nearly 30 years old when the Lord saved me. For most of that time I was either agnostic, atheist, or indifferent. For as long as I can remember I have always had an insatiable thirst for knowledge. How does this work?. How does that work?.

What makes people what they are?. When my schoolboy friends were out playing games like cricket, football, or chasing girls, I would be found in the local library reading room finding out as much as I could about my latest interest.

With a name like Brain, and my interests it is no wonder I got the nickname, "The professor", or, "Mister know it all". I didn't really care what they called me, I was a loner. I would do my own thing in my own way. I particularly enjoyed a battle of wits with anyone, as I always won, or at least I thought so.

I especially looked out for people of a Religious disposition, as I really enjoyed exercising my superior knowledge, and shooting them down in flames as it were, but then one day in the late summer of 1961 when looking out of the office window where I worked, I saw in our car park a Bedford mini bus with the words, "Even Christ pleased not himself", written on its side in letters of gold 3" high.

I enquired whose this was, and the owner was pointed out to me. I made my mind up there and then that he would be my next victim. In due course I spoke to this man, and to cut a long story short he invited me to his home, to which I went for 8 successive Friday evenings, I was very much impressed with him, he is very well educated, and also very sincere.

He wanted me to become a Christian like him, and kept on asking me if I was yet ready to receive Jesus as my saviour. I told him I could say the words he wanted me to say, but I knew that I would not mean them, not that I did not want to, I did, but I knew that it would not work if I didn't mean what I said.

The problem was the enormity of my sin, which I considered to great for God to forgive. It was near to midnight, and his wife and his 5 children were all in bed. At this point the Lord caused his youngest child a girl about 18 months old, to cry out, he excused himself and left the room, saying I don't want my wife to be disturbed, I will go and see what is the matter.

This left me alone as it were, I said to myself this man wants me to become a Christian like him, well maybe someday I will. But if I ever do then I will have to do what they do, they pray, and I don't know how to pray.

I wondered what to do next, I had opened the bible a number of times whilst visiting my friend, and often found the verses that I read spoke to me powerfully, often dealing with the very problem that I had in my mind at that moment.

Now I opened it once again at random, and found myself reading Luke Ch 11 from v 1. "Teach me how to pray". The Lord spoke to me in His still small voice, and said "Why am I doing this, why am I as it were taking time off from running this vast universe to come down into this room to be with you to cause you to open my book just where I want you to open it, to read the very verse that I want you to read that tells you that I know just what your problem is, if as you say your sin is too great for me to forgive?.

I had no answer for this, and with tears streaming down my face I looked up and said "Because you love me"...

That is how I became a Christian.

PS. The above was written about seven years ago, and before I realized the significance of the actual date of my new birth, which as it happened was Friday the 8th of December 1961, and also that it was the 8th successive Friday evening.

As I feel sure you are aware the number 8 in the Bible means, fresh start, new beginning,
although all this happened more than 50 years ago, it is only recently that I have seen the connection

Every blessing

Edwin.

Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Nonbeliever
  • 35 posts

Thank you all for the nice comment, stories and thoughts that you showed it really means a lot.

Gratefully thanks

May GOD show us the right path to follow clearer than the day light

Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Nonbeliever
  • 35 posts

It is simply ( WHY did you accept christianity to be your religion? and HOW do you know that it is the one and true religion? )

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,703 posts
May GOD show us the right path to follow clearer than the day light

:thumbsup:

Beloved

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8

He

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

Has

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,359 posts

It is simply ( WHY did you accept christianity to be your religion? and HOW do you know that it is the one and true religion? )

Religion is the way man tries to reach God, doing things to earn His approval through the efforts of one self. True Christianity is having a living relationship with God, where He creates a new person in you in the image of His Son Jesus. To understand Christianity and why it is important to us, you need to understand the difference between a religion and a life in Christ, called Christianity.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
I didn't shop around with religion. I was going through a vulnerable time as a young man and christianity was there, so I embraced it. Receiving Christ brought much needed forgiveness and assurance of Heaven one day.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

And here is a question for you  :mgcheerful: ....Why are you a nonbeliever?

Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Nonbeliever
  • 35 posts

I believe in GOD my friend bopeep

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,420 posts

Could you please define what you understand of who God is.? 

By the way, it's not a trick question so; please feel free to answer. 

That way it may helps us minister to you  :thumbsup:

By the way , I think you are sincere from chatting with you in the chat room  :)

Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Nonbeliever
  • 35 posts

Could you please define what you understand of who God is.? 

By the way, it's not a trick question so; please feel free to answer. 

That way it may helps us minister to you  :thumbsup:

By the way , I think you are sincere from chatting with you in the chat room  :)

I believe in THE ONE WHO created me, you, all others and all the world/s .. I believe in THE MOST POWERFUL .. I submit that there is a GOD THE ONE WHO rules every single thing THE ONE WHO created nature and the law of nature. As I said I believe in Islam ( it is my religion ) I just feel the need to listen to Christianity from the Christians them self's.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network