christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Poll: Americans skeptical of "Big Bang"

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Interests:Getting fewer as I get older.

"For starters, there’s a new poll by AP/GFK that found more than half of Americans (51 percent) are not confident in the idea that 'the universe began 13.8 billion years ago with a Big Bang,' The Atlantic reported.

"'In fact, fewer Americans were confident in that statement than any other on the list, which covered topics like vaccines, evolution and the Earth’s age ...'"

http://national.dese...bpM3pttWpQWC.99

Maybe we're all so skeptical since everyone now has cable TV and without an external antennae we can no longer see the static on our sets left over from the explosion!
But NBC has another explanation.

"But the poll found something especially important for believers: Faith can’t be beaten.

"'Confidence in evolution, the Big Bang, the age of the Earth and climate change decline sharply as faith in a supreme being rises ..."

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,013 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

Amen~!

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Knitting,Jigsaw Puzzles.and I love to bake.

Whatever God wanted to use to create our universe is ok with me.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,060 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

I'm not so sure that we are teaching our young enough good science for them to understand the question......

jerryR34

jerryR34

Veteran Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Looks like it's a good thing science is not a democracy.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,359 posts
  • Interests:my interests vary from week to week, but my faith never does!

i'm not sure that science and christianity are in opposition on this. i certainly believe that the big bang theory is plausible. i just happen to believe that the "spark" that set off the bang was God, Himself. i think scientists are just starting to realize a fraction of the truth... they just don't realize that faith fills in the gaps that science can't explain.

Enoch2021

Enoch2021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:The Word of GOD!
    Microbiology/Biochemistry
    /Physics/Genetics
    Young Earth Creationist

"For starters, there’s a new poll by AP/GFK that found more than half of Americans (51 percent) are not confident in the idea that 'the universe began 13.8 billion years ago with a Big Bang,' The Atlantic reported.

"'In fact, fewer Americans were confident in that statement than any other on the list, which covered topics like vaccines, evolution and the Earth’s age ...'"

Maybe we're all so skeptical since everyone now has cable TV and without an external antennae we can no longer see the static on our sets left over from the explosion!

"But the poll found something especially important for believers: Faith can’t be beaten.

"'Confidence in evolution, the Big Bang, the age of the Earth and climate change decline sharply as faith in a supreme being rises ..."

=====================================================================================

It should be 101% rather than 51% !!

The implication means that 49% of people believe that something came from nothing.

To presuppose the existence of something based on it's own existence is Logical Absurdity.  It's Tantamount to saying something existed before it came into existence.....lol

Also....

‘Open Letter to the Scientific Community’ by 33 leading scientists has been published .....New Scientist (Lerner, E., Bucking the big bang, New Scientist 182(2448)20, 22 May 2004). **Currently over 300 have signed up.***

Some Highlights.....

‘The big bang today relies on a growing number of hypothetical entities, things that we have never observed—inflation, dark matter and dark energy are the most prominent examples. Without them, there would be a fatal contradiction between the observations made by astronomers and the predictions of the big bang theory.’

‘But the big bang theory can’t survive without these fudge factors. Without the hypothetical inflation field, the big bang does not predict the smooth, isotropic cosmic background radiation that is observed, because there would be no way for parts of the universe that are now more than a few degrees away in the sky to come to the same temperature and thus emit the same amount of microwave radiation. … Inflation requires a density 20 times larger than that implied by big bang nucleosynthesis, the theory’s explanation of the origin of the light elements.’

‘In no other field of physics would this continual recourse to new hypothetical objects be accepted as a way of bridging the gap between theory and observation. It would, at the least, raise serious questions about the validity of the underlying theory.'

‘What is more, the big bang theory can boast of no quantitative predictions that have subsequently been validated by observation. The successes claimed by the theory’s supporters consist of its ability to retrospectively fit observations with a steadily increasing array of adjustable parameters, just as the old Earth-centred cosmology of Ptolemy needed layer upon layer of epicycles.’

aka......"Just So" Stories or "Recovery Hypothesis"

Big Bangs Afterglow fails Intergalactic Shadow Test.  Dr. Richard Lieu.... ‘Either it (the microwave background) isn’t coming from behind the clusters, which means the Big Bang is blown away, or … there is something else going on.'

http://www.scienceda...60905104549.htm

I could go on here for quite some time but I think you get the Picture  :thumbsup:

i certainly believe that the big bang theory is plausible. i just happen to believe that the "spark" that set off the bang was God, Himself.

That's not gonna work either.....

1.  The Big Bang states that Sun came before the Earth  (GOD says the Opposite)

2.  The Big Bang states Light before Water (GOD says the Opposite)

3.  The Big Bang states Stars/Galaxies Sun and Moon before Life  (God Says the Opposite)  ......

(Genesis 1:11-13) "And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.  {12} And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.  {13} And the evening and the morning were the third day."

(Genesis 1:14-19) "¶And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:  {15} And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.  {16} And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.  {17} And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,  {18} And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.  {19} And the evening and the morning were the fourth day."

Don't let your Hermeneutics be filtered through "science" or "Lience".   GOD'S WORD first....in Fact, only GOD'S WORD :thumbsup:

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

When science becomes "unfalsifiable," e.g., Anthropoid Global Warming, it becomes a dictatorship.

jerryR34

jerryR34

Veteran Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

When science becomes "unfalsifiable," e.g., Anthropoid Global Warming, it becomes a dictatorship.

What does global warming have to do with the big bang?

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,359 posts
  • Interests:my interests vary from week to week, but my faith never does!

jerry, he was drawing a correlation. global warming and the big bang don't have anything to do with each other. oldschool was making the comment about science becoming a dictatorship, and referencing global warming as yet another example.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings Old School!

I get a kick out of polls................did anyone include you in it? No? hmm,me neither!!!!!!51% of the Americans that participated in the survey determined the estimated percentage of the overall population perhaps.............Silly

With love-in Christ,Kwik

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,013 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

:thumbsup:

Beloved, Science Is Both A Good Thing (Empirical)

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7 (ESV)

And Nonsense (Philosophical)

“The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?

But I, the Lord, search all hearts and examine secret motives. Jeremiah 17:9-10 (NLT)

But The Truth Is Not

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 

Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom.

Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil. 

Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones. Proverbs 3:5-8 (NLT)

A Democracy

Jesus said unto him, I AM the way, the truth, and the life;

no one comes unto the Father,

but by me. John 14:6 (Jubilee Bible 2000)

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

What does global warming have to do with the big bang?

As pseudo-religious dogma, they've both become "unfalsifiable" to an undemocratic scientific community that considers anyone who disagrees with it to be a heretic.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:The Kingdom of God.

It may sound like good news, but if only they would specify the identity of that supreme being.  Of course the enemy wants to usher in the deception of himself being that being. 

Watch this space:

One World Order = One World Religion...

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
When our education system is pumping out students ranked 25th in the world in science this sort of thing is no surprise.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:The Kingdom of God.

It's not a competition.  And that kind of thinking is why we don't know any better now anyway.  Call to Him, and He will answer, and show us things too wonderful for us to understand...

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,060 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

When our education system is pumping out students ranked 25th in the world in science this sort of thing is no surprise.

Maybe, but hey....   we're turning out good global citizens...

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,013 posts

:thumbsup:

Aw~!

He has made everything beautiful in its time.

He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV)

I Wouldn't Be So Hard On All Those High Talking Doctorates Of Philosophy

Take care lest there be some one who leads you away as prisoners by means of his philosophy and idle fancies,

following human traditions and the world's crude notions

instead of following Christ. Colossians 2:8 (WNT)

Trashing Dialog, They Do Their Worst To Steer Inquisitive Folk

You turn things upside down!

Should the potter be thought to be like clay;

that the thing made should say about him who made it, "He didn't make me;"

or the thing formed say of him who formed it,

"He has no understanding?" Isaiah 29:16 (WEB)

Away From Both Critical Thinking And The LORD

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery,

which from the beginning of the world has been hid in God,

who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9 (AKJV)

Yet He Prevails

I have come as a light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me would not remain in darkness.

If anyone hears My words and doesn’t keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.

The one who rejects Me and doesn’t accept My sayings has this as his judge:

The word I have spoken will judge him on the last day. John 12:46-48 (HCSB)

~

Believe

There was the true light, even the light which lighteth every man, coming into the world.

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

He came unto his own, and they that were his own received him not.

But as many as received him, to them gave he the right to become children of God, even to them that believe on his name: John 1:9-12

And Be Blessed Beloved

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness:

that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. Romans 3:26 (KJV)

Love, Joe

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:Humor, cats, German folk music (yes even when they yodel!)
My oh my...

Tristen

Tristen

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Since we have yet to invent a time-machine allowing us to make the direct observations of the past necessary for legitimate scientific confidence, people have every rational (and scientific) right to question any aspect of the Standard Cosmology model. To suggest otherwise is to promote a particular faith perspective; not science. The scientific method makes no provision for any idea to be considered beyond question.

This is especially true when it comes to unobserved claims of past events – which take present day observations and extrapolate them back to incredulous magnitudes of billions of years. It doesn’t seem to occur to secular scientists that such orders of magnitude are only ever accepted when they support the naturalistic model of reality – otherwise they are rejected as ridiculously presumptive.

The BBC (which has publically admitted to anti-Christian bias) produced a program called “Is everything we know about the universe wrong?” – showing through interviews that the scientists who formulated and teach Standard Cosmology aren’t themselves all that confident in the model. If you can find a copy, I encourage viewing;

I just found an online copy here;

http://www.dailymoti...hdtv_shortfilms

So the insinuation that someone who dares to question Big Bang is somehow intellectually deficient is itself, ironically, not based in critical thought, but in personal faith bias.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network