christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Deepening Mystery Of the 'Jesus' Wife' Papyrus

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
from The Weekly Standard:

"The 'Gospel of Jesus’s Wife'—that well-publicized scrap of centuries-old papyrus bearing the Coptic words 'Jesus said to them, My wife'—has an equally old twin-sister scrap bearing some phrases from the Coptic version of the New Testament Gospel of John. That latter fragment was part of a cache of six small pieces of papyrus written in Coptic (a language of ancient Egypt) and acquired, their anonymous owner told Harvard Divinity School professor Karen L. King, from another collector, a German named Hans-Ulrich Laukamp ...

"But it’s inexcusable that Karen King (who refuses to give press interviews, including to me, except under carefully controlled conditions), the Harvard Divinity School, and the editors of the Harvard Theological Review haven’t come forward with everything they know about the 'Gospel of Jesus’s Wife,' its papyrological context, the full circumstances under which it was bought and sold several times, and the reasons why the fragment’s existence was revealed to only a tiny handful of Coptic scholars before September 2012. We can start with the publication of the Gospel of John fragment. Jesus’ shadowy sister-in-law deserves no less."

http://www.weeklysta...rus_787462.html

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

There was no wife...

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

We should test everything against the Word, because it is the final truth.

If Jesus had been married the Word would have told us so. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

I've done a little research here and Karen I. King (she is mentioned in the article) is an author and a professor of Ecclesiastical studies. I have checked some of the books she has written and guess what?

She is a supporter of Gnosticism, believes that there was a female apostle of Jesus (the book appears to have feminist leanings) and she has also written a book about a secret revelation of John.

In other words she appears to be a false Christian (indeed if she is one at all). No wonder she has an interest in this piece of papyrus. I think that this is just another attempt to undermine Christianity.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Read about it in an interview on Christianity Today.  It is supposed to date around 500 or 600 AD.  It is probably a forgery and is based off the Gospel of Philip (which I have not read)

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,449 posts

The Wife~!

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. Isaiah 54:5

My LORD

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

And My God

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. Isaiah 44:6

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,587 posts

We should test everything against the Word, because it is the final truth.

If Jesus had been married the Word would have told us so. 

Amen,ncn.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,807 posts

The gnostic gospels were being kick started even before Peter and Paul died...    I don't understand why finding an old document with that written on it from 500 to 600 AD is such a big deal....    We've had secret societies since the days of Nimrod and Semiramis doing Satan's work.

Just because it exists doesn't mean what it says is reality...    Goodness,  look at the story of the Holy Grail and all the people involved in that for the past 2,000 years...   and finding a piece of paper with the idea written on it just means that the crazies were around not long after our Lord left this planet.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

There was an in-depth program on this subject some time back on TV.  There really is no 'proof'...what there is, is an awful lot of conjecture, imagining and a desire to prove that Jesus Christ

was just like everyone else.

Except He wasn't.

Donibm

Donibm

Advanced Member

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

There is a reason why some books are not added.  Clearly corrupted, or complete forgeries.

And let's not forget, Jesus wasn't the only person named Jesus.  lol

In fact, Barabbas was probably named Jesus.

Many parents named their sons Iesous/Yeshua because they had hoped that their sons would grow and be thee messiah.

Seems to me that the whole "Abraham and Sarah" working to move Gods hand (marrying and having a child with Hagar) has been a problem of the Hebrews from Abraham right on down.

Jesus was not married.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,473 posts

http://www.livescien...ay-be-fake.html

Its becoming more clear that its fake. 

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

I do not think that Jesus had a wife. Since I have not seen anything said in the Bible about it. Surely his wife would have been at the crucifixion. His mother was there. So I would think that his wife would be there if he had one.   But for the sake of argument, what if  he did have a wife? Would it matter?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,449 posts

I do not think that Jesus had a wife. Since I have not seen anything said in the Bible about it. Surely his wife would have been at the crucifixion. His mother was there. So I would think that his wife would be there if he had one.  

But for the sake of argument, what if  he did have a wife?

Would it matter?

~

Yes~!

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. Isaiah 54:5

Jesus Is Already Promised In Marrage

Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. Revelation 19:7-9

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

These days people are hungry for anything that 'proves' Jesus was not the Son of God who died for our sins. Because that would mean there are sins to be confessed and they need to be confessed and forgiven, which means people have to abandon their wicked ways. And they think the Christian walk with Jesus is too much of a sacrifice. As they do not see the spiritual, they think the external things must be met while being eaten up from inside by the wickedness, acknowledged or not.

When it is about freedom, you've got to choose between luciferian freedom or that in Christ. The former appears easy and productive but is not, the latter requires you to die to this world, but be born again from the spirit. And spirit is not yet so much highly appreciated, yet the end time deception is turning the tables now; the spirit is available, just that it's not that of God. And astray they go again.

So many try to enter the kingdom of Heaven through windows, even seeking some sort of sewer pipe line rather than confessing Jesus as the Lord. Too much pride, thinking there is too much to sacrifice for it. Satan plays through illusions, but God has won through the Truth; the Word became flesh.

And by the way Jesus apparently has a wife. The Bible speaks of a bride, just that it is us. I have been thinking some day to give a sermon, starting with a comment I am married to a man, and that man is the man of my life. His name is Jesus Christ. So far it is still solid Bible based.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,587 posts

It appears this has been proven a hoax.  But then....believers already knew that.

http://claudemariott...papyrus-a-hoax/

Openly Curious

Openly Curious

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,228 posts

Yep

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

the hoax was distributed and spread widely, how about the correction? Too many times these speculations are left there in the mainstream media, but not how they were debunked. As to feed the general atmosphere of unbelief and doubt. How convenient.

But how futile is the resistance as the Father of Creation and the Savior draw closer day by day.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network