christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

hello to you all. I need some advice about marriage please?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

manners75

manners75
  • Members
  • 12 posts
I have been married to my wife for 8yrs now, and when we got married, it was a civil ceremony (not in church or a christian service) at the time I did not believe (how foolish!) And we now have a beautiful 5yr old daughter and I thank God every day for that blessing!
My question is: Are we still living in sin because we did not get married in church or have a christian wedding?
Should we renew our vows in church?

Many thanks for your time

God Bless. Rob

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts
Welcome to Worthy, Rob. Yes, you are still married in the sight of God, just love your wife as you love yourself, love God above all, do not go to bed angry, and the two of you with God's grace will have a happy life. God bless your family!!

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,016 posts

I agree with LittleLamb......   you are married in Gods Eyes....   

Marriage is hard enough without throwing doubts into it.

I don't think we had church weddings until five or six hundred years after Jesus was here, so I can't see it as necessary.

If you have lots of money to spend it might be a really nice thing to do for your wife though.....  Big church type weddings are usually a special thing for women....   so you could renew your vows in that setting for a special day for her.....  it could be cool for yourself also.

But not necessary

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Amen!

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Blessings Rob,,,,,

Welcome to Worthy,the marriage union between a man & a woman was put into place long before the Church was or even Christianity came about.......God put it in place & He sanctifies your union,He honors your vows to one another,Your union is Blessed & Holy................Glory to God!

With love,in Christ,Kwik

manners75

manners75
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Thank you all for your wonderful advice, it has put my mind at rest.
I'm so glad I found this forum by the grace of God
Bless you all

BeauJangles

BeauJangles

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Hi, Rob (manners75). Welcome to Worthy and congratulations on your membership here. Okay, you're worried about the sanctity or your marital status before God... Put your heart and mind at ease and rest in Him. Your civil ceremony is a legal and binding contractual agreement, according to the State. In other words: It's all good, man! And it's also okay with the Lord. He honors it. So, 8 years married? Terrific! It sounds as perhaps both you and your beloved feel as though you'd wished for a church ceremony with a minister conducting. You've probably attended enough church weddings to notice, just before being announced as an official couple, the minister, pastor, or reverend will say something like, "By the power vested in me and according to the state of: (fill in the blanks) I now pronounce  you, husband and wife..." (kiss the bride now) Have you considered a renewal of vows? A lot of married men groan at the aspect! But it sounds like you'd find it fulfilling for both of you. It could be simple and sweet, or you could go all out if you wish. Flowers and gown, tux and tails... Maid of Honor and Best Man. It's up to you. And a lot of couples do this on the date they were wed, regardless the years in between. I noticed several other replies added while composing this response. But didn't check them, I'm on a roll here! And I didn't want to risk losing my post. If their replies gave similar suggestions, we'll take that as a confirmation. And that's okay too.

God bless you,

David/BeauJangles

Edited by BeauJangles, 30 April 2014 - 12:26 PM.

manners75

manners75
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Many thanks David, your wisdom and advice is greatly recieved I may suggest to my wife when we get to 10 years renewing our vows maybe something to consider.
God bless you, David.
Hopefully we'll talk again.

Ps. Very sorry for putting this post in the welcome forum, just realised I shouldn't have put this here

Donibm

Donibm

Advanced Member

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

I have been married to my wife for 8yrs now, and when we got married, it was a civil ceremony (not in church or a christian service) at the time I did not believe (how foolish!) And we now have a beautiful 5yr old daughter and I thank God every day for that blessing!
My question is: Are we still living in sin because we did not get married in church or have a christian wedding?
Should we renew our vows in church?

Many thanks for your time

God Bless. Rob

Who ever said that one has to get married in a Church?  lol  If that is the case, countless billions (since Adam til now) are in big trouble.  lol  Judaism didn't always exist, and Christianity came much later, and the nations of the earth knew nothing about either for later still.  So, to me, as long as it is recognized by Government, and legal, and an agreement between the two of you, you are married.

Here is a word of truth: marriage is not consititued by religious affiliation.

What about Muslims who marry under their faith?  Or atheist who marry under no faith?  Or Hindus who do under their faith?  In Gods eyes, they are all married as long as there was an agreement and it was legally performed, and witnessed.

So, that is one truth and hopefully it will put you to ease a little.  However, there is one other thing.  Scripture also says that "whatever a man feels is wrong, to him it is sin."

and that's that kicker aint it?  :-)

If this is something that is bugging you, go ahead and have a small ceremony.  Invite friends and family so you can get a few gifts.  :-)  Have some finger food (no need for anything extravagant) and just enjoy the day with each other.  And why not?  I know people do it all the time ... not that it's required, they just do.

Or, at the very least, if it still bugs you, go to a Biblie believing/teaching Church and ask the Pastor to pray over and bless you marriage.  Again, not something you need to do, but you should.  I santify and bless my home when I bought it, and I do the same thing for our cars.  I pray a hedge of protection over them so that we remain safe.  I learned this from my parents ... and I can't tell you how many times I should/could have died.  Now that I'm a man, I know that it was their prayers, and I do it for my family.

So, I'm typing all this to let you know, if you really do need to settle your conscious, these are some things that you can do.  If you and your wife have the funds to have a small ceremony, even in the auditorium of your Church, go ahead and have fun with it and renew your vows.  Or, just have a pastor pray over you marriage. 

Now, if this doesn't make you feel better, then it's probably just the regret that you have and you shouldn't do anything, because working with a past regret requires councilling, not "replacement".

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.  So, you really don't need to do anything.  And if you are repented and converted, you are the priest of your own home.  You can (and you should) santify your marriage before the eyes of God in prayer anyway.

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Welcome to Worthy and G-d bless you  much!

Why not renew your vows every year at anniversary time?  Do it the old fashioned way ..... just you and she and our beloved Heavenly Father as guests.  He will remain in your marriage as long as you both remain in Him.  He is the integral part of any relationship and will bond you together for life.

Praying for you,

PrairWarur

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

I heard it said once that marriage with G-d included is like a rope which has three strands for strength.  If there were only two, the integrity of the rope is compromised, but the third strand keeps it together.  Yup!  Just like a marriage!

Peace, PrairWarur

manners75

manners75
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Thank you Donibm and PrairWarur for the wonderful advice and wisdom, my mind is completely at rest, and I already feel our marriage is very blessed.
Many thanks and god bless you. Rob

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network