christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do we have an appointed time of death?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts

And why?

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

I don't think so. It eliminates the concept of free will. A number of Far-Eastern religions believe that we have a pre-appointed time of death, but it's not a Christian thing.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,813 posts

But God does know when you will die. He knew when you were to be born, and He knows when you will die.

That's a bit different to an appointed time.

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,319 posts

But God does know when you will die. He knew when you were to be born, and He knows when you will die.

One thing I know and am sure of.

He will call me home in HIS time, not my time or a doctors time. 

Joh 14:27  Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,813 posts

One thing I know and am sure of;

He will call me home in HIS time, not my time or a doctors time. 

Joh 14:27  Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 

Amen Nigel! Sitting at His feet. Imagine!

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Blessings BoPeep

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:                                     Ecclesiastes 3:1

I believe because God knows  the time that one could say it is an appointed time

To Everything There is a Season
1There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven-- 2A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.…                                                                                                   Context,,,,,Biblehub

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Willa

Willa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
He has created us in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. Eph 2:10 I imagine that as we are still doing whatever works that He has appointed for us, we will be enabled to continue to do them until such time as He calls us home.
Ecc. 3:1-2 To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born
And a time to die;

So I believe that we were created for a purpose, that we came into the world to fulfill that purpose and believers will remain to glorify God, or will die to bring Him glory. Either way we shall be with Him for eternity.
The unrepentant will never know the joy and fulfillment of walking with God, but may be used by God in spite of themselves as vessels of dishonor, as was Judas and king Saul.
Hummm. I see you beat me to it again, Kwik. Blessings anyhow.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,813 posts

Interesting. So if you believe God has set an appointed time for us to die (which is what I am reading?), do you then think He has set the way we should die as well?

And if you are going to use the Ecc scripture as your arguments that God has set us a time to die, do you think He has set for us a time to laugh and a time to cry, etc? My point being is dying has a set point in time, it can't be anything else. Do you think our laughter is also prearranged in such a fashion, as is our mourning?

clark thompson

clark thompson

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

I do think there is a set time we die but only God knows this time, we need to be ready for this time because of us not knowing it.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts

Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,The days fashioned for me,

When as yet there were none of them.

Yes,God knows exactly when,where and how we will die.A person who commits suicide causes his own death so that person would have lived longer if he/she would not have taken their own life.We can also have an impact on our time of death.For example a person who smokes,drinks heavily or takes drugs can have an impact on their death.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,037 posts

I do believe there is an appointed time for everyone to die, and I do believe the way we die is also appointed.  Then again, I believe everything we do is set In stone, including my decision to read and comment in this thread.  We have no way to know when that will be, but God knows.  Before anyone asks, I do realize what that means. 

2Joyful

2Joyful

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts
I truly believe there's an appointed time for death.

Hebrews 9:27

King James Version (KJV)

And as it is appointed (designate to fill; to fix or set by authority) unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.

God knows our beginning...

I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Jeremiah 1:5 King James Version

Surly He knows our end...

O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. Psalm 139:1-6 King James Version

Free will a gift from God sets the stage for us. How we use it determines our out come. We must strive to live godly and repentance lives...which leads to a victorious life here on earth and later living a life with God for eternity. On the other hand...if we desire to live a sin filled life...refusing to turn from our wicked ways...it will lead to death...where being cast into the lake of fire..is our reward. Yet before that happens, God will do everything in His power, love, mercy and grace to keep us from going to hell.

God like our earthy parents know when to say enough is enough. Enough maybe...Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Matthew 25:21. Or... “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, buthe who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness! Matthew 7:21-23.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,906 posts

I do believe there is an appointed time for everyone to die, and I do believe the way we die is also appointed. 

Then again, I believe everything we do is set In stone, including my decision to read and comment in this thread. 

We have no way to know when that will be, but God knows. 

Before anyone asks, I do realize what that means. 

:)

I Believe

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. Job 13:15

God Has My Very Best

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18

In His Thoughts

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

So I Rejoice

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Isaiah 15:16

And Trust

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. Psalms 42:1

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

I agree with Kwikphilly, Williamina, Butero, and 2Joyful and really love the verses they used. 

We also must remember that Hezekiah was appointed to die but by pray had his life lengthened 15 years, II Kings 20:1-11; Isaiah 38.  But the heart of Hezekiah was not as upright after this time as before:

24)  In those days Hezekiah was sick and near to death, and he prayed to the LORD: and He spoke to him, and He gave him a sign.

25)  But Hezekiah rendered not again according to the benefit done to him; for his heart was lifted up: therefore there was wrath upon him, and upon Judah and Jerusalem.

II Chronicles 32:24-25

Who knows maybe if the last sight that Manasseh saw of his father was a man devoted to God, his reign would have been great instead of one of the worse if not worse in Judah.  For 15 years Manasseh saw his father departing from God, what a bad example to leave your child. 

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

My thoughts take me in the opposite direction. I believe God is capable of seeing the past, present and future. Yes he gave each one of us free will and he can look at our life in the past, present or future any time to see what our free will choices are doing in our lives. I believe he has the power to step in if he wants to for any of us. He gave us 120 years as the most one can live. So if you are raised in the right environment you may make it 120 years or just 91 years. On the other hand if your environment is much different you may leave this world anywhere between 1 day on earth up to 120 years. When two people are placed on earth in identical situations the out come of that environment is not always the same. If two are raised in an abusive home one grows to think it is ok and cares it into their adult life the other sees how bad it is a vows not to let that be a part of their adult life.  God said the sins of the father would be visited upon the children. I take that to me some children will follow in their fathers footsteps and continue to sin others wont. Many young people die today from alcohol; I do not think God appointed that young person to get drunk and drive at 16 years and 201 days old. Whether that person learned getting drunk from father and uncles or the person never was around anyone drunk and was talked into trying it for the first time by their peers. I believe God gave us free will; that freewill can be mis-used and can cause early death or it can teach one not to go there again and prevent an untimely death.

I do not think God micro manages free will in the human being.

Our free will is open for us to come to God or reject him. Our free will can determine if overdose on drugs at 15. Our free will can 

also help us to live a long healthy life. 

Atwood

Atwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
It is appointed unto man once to die. It is like the Rapture, liable to happen at any time so far as we know.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,813 posts

I do believe there is an appointed time for everyone to die, and I do believe the way we die is also appointed.  Then again, I believe everything we do is set In stone, including my decision to read and comment in this thread.  We have no way to know when that will be, but God knows.  Before anyone asks, I do realize what that means. 

Ok so before you were saved God appointed you to lie in a coma for a year and then die of cancer? 

And God is pulling your strings like you are a puppet? Was He doing this before you were saved, or only after?

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,813 posts

I truly believe there's an appointed time for death.

Hebrews 9:27

King James Version (KJV)

And as it is appointed (designate to fill; to fix or set by authority) unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.

God knows our beginning...

I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Jeremiah 1:5 King James Version

Surly He knows our end...

O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. Psalm 139:1-6 King James Version

Free will a gift from God sets the stage for us. How we use it determines our out come. We must strive to live godly and repentance lives...which leads to a victorious life here on earth and later living a life with God for eternity. On the other hand...if we desire to live a sin filled life...refusing to turn from our wicked ways...it will lead to death...where being cast into the lake of fire..is our reward. Yet before that happens, God will do everything in His power, love, mercy and grace to keep us from going to hell.

God like our earthy parents know when to say enough is enough. Enough maybe...Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Matthew 25:21. Or... “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, buthe who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness! Matthew 7:21-23.

Of course we are appointed to die, but show me where it says God sets the date?

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
Luke 12:20 says this....
But God said unto him, thou fool, thismnight thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided.

this is the scripture passage talking about storing up riches on earth, filling up a barn with victuals. To me this passage reads that there is an appointed time however some will argue the point is more on storing up riches on earth rather than storing up treasures in heaven... that neither rusts nor does the moth eat. There is nothing that God doesnt know. Nothing. There are scriptures that say something to the effect of choosing God and Good that you and your offspring may dwell long in the land, and other scriptures that say God can extend or prolong your days. One of those passages can be found in dueteronomy chapter 30, not sure which exact verse but I reccommend reading the whole chapter to get the bigger picture. God knows when we will die. God knows when we will fall. Just look at how precise Jesus was at knowing the who and what on judas iscariot selling him out. Nothing is hidden from God. He is the author and finnisher of our faith. In genisis it also says man lived very long like hundreds of years and then God said he would not strive with man forever and shortened our days to 120 years. Acts 1:7 says its not for us to know the times and seasons and that it is in the Fathers hand. Considering that why would God tell us we have an appointed time. I mean there are scriptures that command us to not waste time. God either has you and the world (and every little baby) in His hand or not. He is either in control or not. I believe he is in total cont

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
...... in total control.

sorry im on a tablet and it wont let me scroll on the window. Laptop died on me.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network